fuselage dual exhaust pictures

How noisy are those dynomax mufflers?? Thinking to get the TTI system for my 72 Coupe 400cuin. Should I delete the dynos and go for the Walker mufflers?
Too noisy for me... LOL.

They started out with a nice deep rumble, but after a few years, they got noisier and developed a drone. The Dynomax mufflers are kind of a mix between a glass-pack and a regular muffler. I think the fiberglass matting in mine has blown out.

I discovered this when reading a post on Facebook about Addison's Silver Bullet street racer. He used 4 of these mufflers. An old friend of mine got in a discussion with someone else about it and he said he used the Caddy mufflers on his own Dart with a TTI system because he wanted it aa little quieter and said it worked out great. My friend is one off those guys that if he says it works... It works...

I couldn't get to swapping the mufflers, but should be able to do it soon. I took a before video and used a sound app on my phone to record the decibel change.

BTW, Rock Auto had the best deal on the mufflers.

Too noisy for me... LOL.

They started out with a nice deep rumble, but after a few years, they got noisier and developed a drone. The Dynomax mufflers are kind of a mix between a glass-pack and a regular muffler. I think the fiberglass matting in mine has blown out.

I discovered this when reading a post on Facebook about Addison's Silver Bullet street racer. He used 4 of these mufflers. An old friend of mine got in a discussion with someone else about it and he said he used the Caddy mufflers on his own Dart with a TTI system because he wanted it aa little quieter and said it worked out great. My friend is one off those guys that if he says it works... It works...

I couldn't get to swapping the mufflers, but should be able to do it soon. I took a before video and used a sound app on my phone to record the decibel change.

I will be curious to see how these are in person. I am going with the Dynomax Ultra Flo. I bought them for my 72 Demon to replace the race bullets. I thought I would try to make that a tinge quieter. Then after they got here I decided I want to have a Professional build that exhaust. So they will be going on the Newport. I do enjoy a good rumble though and the 440 I put in has a nice mild cam already.

Too noisy for me... LOL.

Thank you for the advice. I hate the drive that some exhaust systems have and personally don’t think it fits the car. Walker mufflers sound like the way to go!

I will be curious to see how these are in person. I am going with the Dynomax Ultra Flo. I bought them for my 72 Demon to replace the race bullets. I thought I would try to make that a tinge quieter. Then after they got here I decided I want to have a Professional build that exhaust. So they will be going on the Newport. I do enjoy a good rumble though and the 440 I put in has a nice mild cam already.

Thank you for the advice. I hate the drive that some exhaust systems have and personally don’t think it fits the car. Walker mufflers sound like the way to go!
What sounds good with a hardtop gets a little bothersome in my convertible. I like some "depth" to the sound, but the drone gets old on a trip.

Every thing I've seen on using the turbo mufflers are based brand new mufflers. Not many go back after a few years and talk about the sound getting louder. I'm really hoping this works.

I still stand by the true 2.5 inch mufflers I bought from Motive Air
Verh nice soft mellow sound with good flow

when i saw your post, i thought i did mine wrong. i actually walked out and looked under the car to see if the pipes were too low going under the bars.
I bent the 2.5 inch pipes on my Newport like MrMoparCHP's, it was tight but made sense.

I think without mandrel bends, using a typical exhaust pipe bender, running 2.5" pipe on the inside of the torsion bar, it is hard(impossible) to get a graceful transition to the outside of the torsion bar at the crossmember and hard to keep the pipe hanging high, you can make that same transition bend with 2" or 2.25" real nice and the smaller size pipe fits better alongside the trans. cooler lines and pan gasket, etc.

The 2.5" pipe with it's larger bend radius than smaller pipe in a typical bender, has to run outside the torsion bars to keep the larger diameter in the bends, it gets close around the shift linkage, a little tricky to get the clearance for 1st gear

My Newport has 12" Magnaflow bullet mufflers mounted right behind the torsion bar crossmember, and pipes to the back. it is not subtle, after sitting all winter with the battery hooked up it started without a boost. what a beast!!

I bent the 2.5 inch pipes on my Newport like MrMoparCHP's, it was tight but made sense.
awesome. that was not an easy pipe to do.
running 2.5" pipe on the inside of the torsion bar, it is hard(impossible) to get a graceful transition to the outside of the torsion bar at the crossmember and hard to keep the pipe hanging high,
i like the way i did mine. but that's why it's custom exhaust. it should be done as the owner wants. on mine, i used what i think is a b body manifold on the drivers side and the outlet position necessitates the front pipe being inside the torsion bar. i see that Big Johns TTI system runs in and under as well:
hYdrueo.jpg

hard to keep the pipe hanging high
some ground shots of mine. drivers side does run a little low.
exhaust 010.JPG
exhaust 008.JPG

The 2.5" pipe with it's larger bend radius than smaller pipe in a typical bender, has to run outside the torsion bars to keep the larger diameter in the bends, it gets close around the shift linkage, a little tricky to get the clearance for 1st gear
i love that large radius. bend a 90, put it up to the manifold, mark it, cut it to length, point it tword the back of the car. didn't have to worry about shift etc. converted to four speed.
exhaust 002.JPG

My Newport has 12" Magnaflow bullet mufflers mounted right behind the torsion bar crossmember, and pipes to the back. it is not subtle, after sitting all winter with the battery hooked up it started without a boost. what a beast!!
pictures, man! and they do sound awesome when they start especially with a little cam. like a controlled minor explosion! here's some picture of the manifolds that i used:
exhaust 016.JPG
exhaust 011.JPG
exhaust 015.JPG
3751071 and 2951865.

exhaust 012.JPG

I pulled it in the garage tonight and took photos, now or never

When I first put the car together I had the exhaust exit ahead of the rear wheels, put tail pipes on later

These cars show their pipes more than a Chevy and can give the appearance of hanging low when they are right, maybe I see too many Chevies lol

One of the mufflers came from a 2003? Mini Cooper with a Magnaflow cat back system, I was gifted the Mini by a customer and raced it in the backyard winter race track of the time, the other muffler came from a Mitsubishi Eclipse involved in the same racing, the mufflers took themselves off the donors in the action

It's very loud, but I'm deaf enough, the car is long enough, the pipes are out the back, I love it. I have toned down some of my other cars and prefer the mellow tone more these days but for now the Newport is still loud

I agree, there are many ways to get it done, none are wrong if they work,
yep. i'd dare any of these guys with their bolt on exhausts to walk up to a bender and build one for themselves. i think the tail pipes on the TTI systems hang to low. yours are how they should be. up tight to the frame. that system must sound ferocious with those straight mufflers.
Your car has hydroboost brakes?
yes. cam and big intake make jack $hit for vacuum. wasn't difficult. had all the parts laying around and it was a logical solution.

Thanks for the compliments. I'm proud of my job on this car, my first bends on it were done when I had eight years of "professional" (as part of my job as an auto mechanic) custom bending experience under my belt, it was the first C body I did, but not my first bending job. I put a lot of pride and effort into the exhaust systems I build, they aren't SEMA/Chip Foose mandrel bent tig welded show pieces, but as nice as mig welded standard bent can be. I'm not gloating, claiming to be the best ever, or the only one who can do it, but humbly and honestly, I am quite talented with my bender and welder, it is one of my passions. With 13 years experience bending now, if I wasn't good at it I'd be comparable to a baker who's bread doesn't rise or a farmer with crops that don't grow

The Newport definitely barks, ferocious is a good description

I don't know what is about old Mopars but I think they are almost always best with the tail pipes out the back turned up then down

Well I still have to clean the tailpipes up a bit and add tips. Otherwise the exhaust is done. Hp manifolds, 2.5” universal kit from speedway motors, and dynomax ultra flo mufflers. Took me all of two days to knock it out. This the first full system I have built myself. I have only done tailpipes on my 2011 Powerwagon. Hopefully these pictures will upload without issues.

IMG_3854.jpeg

IMG_3855.jpeg

IMG_3853.jpeg

IMG_3856.jpeg

IMG_3857.jpeg

IMG_3858.jpeg

@rags
The C-body HP driverside manifold makes a pretty sharp turn at the outlet, so that's why it routes between torsion bar and frame.
The B-body HP would allow dumping between torsion bar and engine.
One of these pics has a red line showing the angle of the C-body HP flange.
Now I understand why you also don't like TTI pipes - your work is fabulous. Nice and tight and symmetrical.

@MoparMcK
Here's one I did with a DIY Summit X-pipe setup, some extra pieces, and Flowmaster B-body tailpipes.
1688573094423.png

1688574963487.png

Here's one I did with but with Hedman shorty headers and TTI tailpipes. Eagle-eyed folks will notice the driverside band-clamp is upside down - but it's made for overlapped pipes, and therefore not reversible to match the other one. So say hello to my little friend - the ratcheting wrench. This system is still in place 16+ years later.

1688575496898.png

Back