Guilty Pleasures

This may just be a Western NY thing (or other limited geographic area)? This is a "beef on weck" sandwich.

A few more words to explain: Thin-sliced, rare roast beef, topped with horseradish, on a salted kummelweck roll (the top bun getting a dip "au jus") and with your favorite libation. :)

View attachment 108538
I mentioned Buffalo and then had to go back through this entire thread to see if "Beef on Weck" was mentioned. Of course Ray did....

Favorite spot (in Buffalo) to get it is Schwabl's. Home - Schwabl's - Since 1837 Pickled beets and German potato salad on the side.

This is a Syracuse food... Salt potatoes. Small potatoes boiled in heavily salted water. It started when Syracuse was a center for salt production (hence the nickname "Salt City"). The workers would be boiling down brine collected from the salt springs around Onondaga Lake. The Irish workers would bring a bag of potatoes from home and toss them in to boil and then eat them for lunch. The result is this creamy potato with a slightly crusty skin.... And yes, you eat the skins too... Always served drowned in butter.... Yum.

The pot always looks like this with salt staining the sides.

Salt_Potatoes.jpg

e8a4c1317740d92219da139e6509d3ae.jpg

Syracuse native Bobcat Goldthwaite has a salt potato tat. The 315 por vida (315 for life) is the Syracuse area code.

3.jpg

I mentioned Buffalo and then had to go back through this entire thread to see if "Beef on Weck" was mentioned. Of course Ray did....

Favorite spot (in Buffalo) to get it is Schwabl's. Home - Schwabl's - Since 1837 Pickled beets and German potato salad on the side.

I was 25 years younger when I was in WNY, but old enough under DR.s orders to ration (once every three months when my Japanese colleagues camto town) my Scwabl's, Salvatore's in Depew, Anchor Bar (original downtown location) and Grover's (cash only still today, Williamsville bit north of airport on Transit) for 12 oz burgers and onion rings, an artery-clogging delight...

1-logo.png?quality=100.png
1678143797506.png
1678143863557.png

I was 25 years younger when I was in WNY, but old enough under DR.s orders to ration (once every three months when my Japanese colleagues camto town) my Scwabl's, Salvatore's in Depew, Anchor Bar (original downtown location) and Grover's (cash only still today, Williamsville bit north of airport on Transit) for 12 oz burgers and onion rings, an artery-clogging delight...

View attachment 585636View attachment 585634View attachment 585635
I have a couple places in Buffalo I really like... For a sandwich, Jonny C's on Transit road!

Jonny C's NY Deli and Caterers | Buffalo, NY

Jonny-Cs-Deli-Sub-Duke.jpg

Been around forever and I never really took interest. Now for some reason caramel (not really true caramel) has got me hooked.
1678194297376.png

Almost 60 years years with these folks - AM radio, Grade school band, around the world, and yesterday. She's been gone 40 years.

1678245375160.png

She had a great voice and made it look so effortless. One of the best!

no matter what kinda day I am having, i go to my "zen place" with Karen's singing leading the way ...

something about her voice .. when i was 10 years old and still even now that i am a grizzled, old coot.

:thumbsup:

Sorry Guys, but I'm on the other side of the isle where Karen Carpenter is concerned; to this day, when she comes on the radio, I'm on to another station.

Cool, Boss. Plenty of people, then and now, are like scratchin' on chalkboards to my ears. She just aint one of 'em.

Freedom is a beautiful thing :)

Another one from the era. I like this lady too ... she wasn't popular among the kids I grew up with.

Didnt care .. I wanted to go, from to to time, to that "land of gentle breezes where peaceful waters flow"... :)

1678392919281.jpeg

This one too ... dunno another thing she ever did, but finally got to go there when I was building cars in Sao Paulo 30 years later :)
91EiRE7Lt5L._UF1000,1000_QL80_.jpg

Cool, Boss. Plenty of people, then and now, are like scratchin' on chalkboards to my ears. She just aint one of 'em.

Freedom is a beautiful thing :)
I never got into the soft rock/yacht rock (probably because I'm only 40). However, I was blown away when I discovered this song was a cover of a Christopher Cross song. Only Saxon can make yacht rock REALLY rock! I guess this is a guilty pleasure for me.

LOL, yacht rock. There's a yacht rock cover band that plays up and down CA that I've seen a couple times.

View attachment 586104
View attachment 586105

I had to finally "look up" definition of "yacht rock". I was a little surprised by whats on some lists.

"Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast sound or adult-oriented rock) is a broad music style and aesthetic commonly associated with soft rock, one of the most commercially successful genres from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.

Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, and disco, common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies.

Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing."

Hell, I guess I have been a "Yacht Rock sailor" since this songs were first on the radio .. my early adult life .. mostly the 80's.

Seems like this genre gets parodied/satirized a lot, and perhaps speaking up for it IS a Guilty Pleasure.

I dont care. I like it. When one of these comes on, I turn it up, and my right foot may get "heavier". Some of my "go fast" driving songs (eg. need to be at a certain speed by the first or second bridge)

ONE click-bait opinion (I listed them so you dont get bombarded with ads from the link) with some of the videos, of the 20 best, or worst, depending on how one feels about this kinda music. I know EVERY one of them, plus most of the words.

1678461465259.png

source: The 20 greatest yacht rock songs ever, ranked

Alright, you struck a nerve. My handle says it all on my predominant musical love. I also dig Michael McDonald (Doobie and solo) and Hall and Oats. You won't find their logo patches on my denim vest though. Haha!

Alright, you struck a nerve. My handle says it all on my predominant musical love. I also dig Michael McDonald (Doobie and solo) and Hall and Oats. You won't find their logo patches on my denim vest though. Haha!

We'll see if in 20 more years your tastes evolve. In my case, I haven't changed why I like/don't like.

I like some "metal" (as I understand that genre), some not as much. "Immigrant Song" is a drive fast favorite of mine -- gotta remember to keep both hands on the wheel trying be the drummer .. Deep Purple has a go fast song I like (name escapes me, something about the highway or freeway or something). Quiet Riot.

I can say that, however, about ANY genre .. classical, R&B, opera, country .. whatever. I like what I like, not so much what I don't.

The old stuff retrieves memories. mostly good. As we age, having those good memories has become very important at least to me. Simpler times, easier days it seems.

My denim vest (its older than you brother,) doesn't fit anymore though.... :poke:

I had to finally "look up" definition of "yacht rock". I was a little surprised by whats on some lists.

"Yacht rock (originally known as the West Coast sound or adult-oriented rock) is a broad music style and aesthetic commonly associated with soft rock, one of the most commercially successful genres from the mid-1970s to the mid-1980s.

Drawing on sources such as smooth soul, smooth jazz, R&B, and disco, common stylistic traits include high-quality production, clean vocals, and a focus on light, catchy melodies.

Its name, coined in 2005 by the makers of the online video series Yacht Rock, was derived from its association with the popular Southern Californian leisure activity of sailing."

Hell, I guess I have been a "Yacht Rock sailor" since this songs were first on the radio .. my early adult life .. mostly the 80's.

Seems like this genre gets parodied/satirized a lot, and perhaps speaking up for it IS a Guilty Pleasure.

I dont care. I like it. When one of these comes on, I turn it up, and my right foot may get "heavier". Some of my "go fast" driving songs (eg. need to be at a certain speed by the first or second bridge)

ONE click-bait opinion (I listed them so you dont get bombarded with ads from the link) with some of the videos, of the 20 best, or worst, depending on how one feels about this kinda music. I know EVERY one of them, plus most of the words.

View attachment 586179
source: The 20 greatest yacht rock songs ever, ranked
Haha. I grew up with this music and it was all that was basically played on KOIT 96.5 FM in San Francisco in the 80s.

Now days, you're correct - it is satirized quite a bit. That cover band I posted above, Mustache Harbor, seems along those lines although the band claims that they indeed love this music. They're definitely having fun parodying the era though.

To add to the list, don't forget Bertie Higgins!

And Captain & Tennille
(with electronic sounds of Muskrats mating, apparently)

Last edited:
Back