Happiness is having a motor stand.

Looking good Mike ... btw I'm doing pretty much the same thing as you. Engine is out and I'm replacing the external things and had a set of 915s done then it going back together and getting painted. I'm rebuilding the front susp and converting to discs, and replacing the steering sector with a Firm Feel unit. My engines got 82K on it and looks good and ran fine.

Also doing the fuels system from the pump to tank.

Also had the trans rebuilt while it was out. Once it's back together I'll do the rear suspension.

Wow I'm having deja vu, we are doing almost the same including the fuel lines from the pump to the tank. I already had holes in the 2 shorter fuel lines and decided I was living on borrow time on the long one. I did the rear suspension last winter. The only difference I'm keeping my drums.

I got all these new items for my engine and suspension this week, but won't be touching any of it for a couple of weekends. Instead I spent all afternoon degreasing the engine. I am glad that is done. What a nasty job.

Engine degreased 2.jpgEngine degreased.sm.jpg

Engine degreased 2.jpg

Engine degreased.sm.jpg

Ask Gary how to keep it clean next time so you don't have to do that again. ;)

Yes it is, does it seem odd to you? I got a set of freeze plugs and there where at least 4 bolts in the packet.

bolt.jpg

bolt.jpg

Pipe plug for another example of strange external plumbing???

Well, as long as it's not a bolt and it has an NPT Thread.....
But I still think it's a machine bolt jammed in there.
Mike, take it out and put my mind at ease.

Last edited:

So I understand this should be a tapered bolt not a straight machine bolt. Since I have a new set of freeze plugs, there should be a tapered bolt to fit that place, from the set?

Yes. They are usually a countersunk Allen or have a 4 pt. head. And yes, an NPT (National PIPE Thread) is tapered.
Maybe the one on Mike's block is a hex head plug. I hope so. If not, the threads are ruined.

Since I have a new set of freeze plugs, there should be a tapered bolt to fit that place, from the set?
No, they don't include an extra plug for that one, Mike.
If that's an NPT Hex plug, you're fine. If not, you're going to have to retap it with the next NPT size up.

And please stop calling it a BOLT. LMFAO.
It's a PLUG. :D

Last edited:
It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt. It is plug and not a bolt.....................................................................................:laughing4:

Scott since I'm looking at it, how did you prep your transmission for paint and what did you use?

The guy that rebuilt it had it tanked so it was pretty clean. When I got it back, I wiped it down with Brakleen (Green Can) and sprayed it with Duplicolor High Heat Aluminum.

Last edited:
Here's a shot of a 70 440 with said plug and another one threaded into 1/4 npt air fittingIMG_20140202_132940_716.jpg

They also used 1/8 plugs of same style for pressure ports on transIMG_20140202_133239_112.jpg

IMG_20140202_132940_716.jpg

IMG_20140202_133239_112.jpg

I took the plug out and it is a hex headed plug. They were that style at every location on my block. My new plugs are the other style with the allen wrench head.

I have had problems getting the Allen wrench plugs out in the interior oil galleys the one behind the timing chain but maybe the guy was a gorrilla or mad at work that day.:dontknow:

Back