Heavy Metal

Well i want to know too...

Yaw control. Just like in aircraft and X, Y, and Z axes. "Pitch" - nose up/down, "Roll" - nose straight, wing tips up/down, and "Yaw" - nose left/right

Untitled18B.png

In a car:

Untitled18c.png

Anyway, I have not been keeping up with NASCAR since I left the car business a decade ago. Lotta aerodynamic/safety upgrades. Yaw control in a car is aero talk for controlling spinouts.

it is actually fascinating real science in making cars go fast. Some people just see guys/gals driving in circles. Its way more than that .. and I am a self-professed nerd and I shoulda known exactly what that thing on the backend was back in Post #400.

Its a "deck fin" -- I didnt know the name of it though. Its on the left side of the car, because racing generally is a bunch of left turns. Working with the other aero parts on modern Nascars, it helps increase "side forces" that in turn help keep the cars from spinning out.

My judgement says in also helps keep laminar air flow across the roof/deck to help spoiler with managing "downforce" that helps maintain traction in turns.

What follows is long .. but explains a lot of the other safety/aero stuff on cars built to go really fast.

Untitled18.png

Untitled18A (2).png
Untitled18A (3).png
Untitled18A (4).png
Untitled18A (5).png

IMG_1235.JPG
Convair B-36J. Length 162 ft. Wingspan 230 ft. Height 47 ft. 6 Pratt & Whitney 4,362 cu. in. 3,800 hp 28 cylinder radial engines. 4 GE J47 5,200 lb thrust jet engines. Max speed 435 mph. Max takeoff weight 410,000 lbs. Max bomb load 72,000 lbs. Scared the **** out of the Russians. The B-52 is faster, could at one time carry the same load, and is awesome in it’s own right. But this thing is just bad ***.

Might be here .. and it was probably me that did it (gettin' forgetful as the personal odo clicks forward)

another forgotten plane. wasn't the best airframe ever done, but swept-wing design helped usher in modern aviation. The B47 "Stratojet".

how cool must it have been to have been in aviation 1940-1970 or so (still today .. my daughter is an aerospace engineer at Boeing).

A sight to behold "on the bottle" (last pic and vid.. fascinating technology they tried to employ in a pinch) the B-47 lasted longer than you might think but didn't encounter very much combat action, if any.

source: Boeing B-47 Stratojet - Wikipedia

The Boeing B-47 Stratojet (company Model 450) is a retired American long-range, six-engined, turbojet-powered strategic bomber designed to fly at high subsonic speed and at high altitude to avoid enemy interceptor aircraft. The B-47's primary mission was as a nuclear bomber capable of striking the Soviet Union. With its engines carried in nacelles under the swept wing, the B-47 was a major innovation in post-World War II combat jet design, and contributed to the development of modern jet airliners.

The B-47 entered service with the United States Air Force's Strategic Air Command (SAC) in 1951. It never saw combat as a bomber, but was a mainstay of SAC's bomber strength during the late 1950s and early 1960s, and remained in use as a bomber until 1965. It was also adapted to a number of other missions, including photographic reconnaissance, electronic intelligence, and weather reconnaissance, remaining in service as a reconnaissance aircraft until 1969 and as a testbed until 1977.

First prototypes were fitted with General Electric J35 turbojets, the production version of the TG-180, with 3,970 lbf (17.7 kN) of thrust. Early jet engines did not develop good thrust at low speeds, so to help a heavily loaded bomber take off, the XB-47 prototype had provisions for fitting 18 solid-fuel rocket-assisted takeoff (RATO) rockets with 1,000 lbf (4.4 kN) of static thrust each. Mounts for nine such units were built into each side of the rear fuselage, arranged in three rows of three bottles.

The performance of the Model 450 design was projected to be so good that the bomber would be as fast as fighters then on the drawing board, and so the only defensive armament was to be a tail turret with two .50 in (12.7 mm) AN/M2 Browning machine guns, which would in principle be directed by an automatic fire-control system.
Untitled120.png
Untitled121.jpg

IMG_1237.jpg
IMG_1236.jpg
I was a KC-135A crew chief many (too many) years ago. I still love the kerosene smell of jet exhaust. The absolute best part of the job was an engine run. Nothing cooler than sitting on the ramp with the breaks set, wheels chocked and pushing the throttle up on a J57. The plane would shake and the noise was deafening. Loved it. The B36 was long retired when I was in but the ANG units were still flying the KC-97L. It had 4 of the same P&W radial engines and 2 J47s. Occasionally a couple of them would land at our base. They’d taxi onto the ramp and we’d park them. Always loved the sound of those radial engines.

Last edited:
IMG_1238.JPG
Kind of funny when you look at the new version and compare. You wonder how those tiny turbines got that off the ground.
View attachment 287585
Yeah. I followed that. The KC-135 fleet originally numbered over 800. Most were mothballed or scrapped. The remainder went through an extensive refit at Boeing. The wings had to be totally redesigned handle the new engines because they develop nearly twice the thrust of the J57s. Horizontal stabilizers were canned off of mothballed 707s (they’re larger). Some went through smaller scale refit. They received P&W TF33s (JT3Ds, the same as 707s and B-52s) and the stabilizers and went to ANG units. The old J57s did leave the plane a little under powered. A tanker with a heavy load would use up a lot of runway on takeoff and with no thrust reversers, likewise on landing.

Last edited:
knew they are bigger for efficiency reasons, but didnt know the details. here we are:

Untitled18A.png

short vid .. ignore the math forumlae, but the narration is simple. big air uses less energy therfore less fuel, small engine uses more fuel to accelerate less air faster.

Had a chance to have a trip to Hendricks Motorsports in Concord NC on a work deal. Had the free museum visit and got these shots. Also had a "VIP" tour of several other "No Public Access" areas where no photography is allowed if you can get int.

Anyway, the museum stuff is below. Please, I know we have folks not so keen on NASCAR, Chevrolet, or Hendricks, or Johnson, or Gordon, of whatever. I don't care much about any of that .. just was trying to be a "car guy" around some other "car guys/gals" :)

First one. Ken Schrader's wreck at Talledega in 1995. Everybody was sure he was a goner. Check out first 30 seconds, then back about the 2min mark to the end

View attachment 287166 View attachment 287168 View attachment 287172 View attachment 287167 View attachment 287169 View attachment 287170 View attachment 287171
After watching the video I remember that race.

Might be here .. and it was probably me that did it (gettin' forgetful as the personal odo clicks forward)

another forgotten plane. wasn't the best airframe ever done, but swept-wing design helped usher in modern aviation. The B47 "Stratojet".

how cool must it have been to have been in aviation 1940-1970 or so (still today .. my daughter is an aerospace engineer at Boeing).

A sight to behold "on the bottle" (last pic and vid.. fascinating technology they tried to employ in a pinch) the B-47 lasted longer than you might think but didn't encounter very much combat action, if any.

source: Boeing B-47 Stratojet - Wikipedia

The Boeing B-47 Stratojet (company Model 450) is a retired American long-range, six-engined, turbojet-powered strategic bomber designed to fly at high subsonic speed and at high altitude to avoid enemy interceptor aircraft. The B-47's primary mission was as a nuclear bomber capable of striking the Soviet Union. With its engines carried in nacelles under the swept wing, the B-47 was a major innovation in post-World War II combat jet design, and contributed to the development of modern jet airliners.

The B-47 entered service with the United States Air Force's Strategic Air Command (SAC) in 1951. It never saw combat as a bomber, but was a mainstay of SAC's bomber strength during the late 1950s and early 1960s, and remained in use as a bomber until 1965. It was also adapted to a number of other missions, including photographic reconnaissance, electronic intelligence, and weather reconnaissance, remaining in service as a reconnaissance aircraft until 1969 and as a testbed until 1977.

First prototypes were fitted with General Electric J35 turbojets, the production version of the TG-180, with 3,970 lbf (17.7 kN) of thrust. Early jet engines did not develop good thrust at low speeds, so to help a heavily loaded bomber take off, the XB-47 prototype had provisions for fitting 18 solid-fuel rocket-assisted takeoff (RATO) rockets with 1,000 lbf (4.4 kN) of static thrust each. Mounts for nine such units were built into each side of the rear fuselage, arranged in three rows of three bottles.

The performance of the Model 450 design was projected to be so good that the bomber would be as fast as fighters then on the drawing board, and so the only defensive armament was to be a tail turret with two .50 in (12.7 mm) AN/M2 Browning machine guns, which would in principle be directed by an automatic fire-control system.
View attachment 287526 View attachment 287527
There was one on static display at Barksdale AFB when I was there. Predecessor to the B-52

View attachment 287536 View attachment 287535 I was a KC-135A crew chief many (too many) years ago. I still love the kerosene smell of jet exhaust. The absolute best part of the job was an engine run. Nothing cooler than sitting on the ramp with the breaks set, wheels chocked and pushing the throttle up on a J57. The plane would shake and the noise was deafening. Loved it. The B36 was long retired when I was in but the ANG units were still flying the KC-97L. It had 4 of the same P&W radial engines and 2 J47s. Occasionally a couple of them would land at our base. They’d taxi onto the ramp and we’d park them. Always loved the sound of those radial engines.
View attachment 287536 View attachment 287535 I was a KC-135A crew chief many (too many) years ago. I still love the kerosene smell of jet exhaust. The absolute best part of the job was an engine run. Nothing cooler than sitting on the ramp with the breaks set, wheels chocked and pushing the throttle up on a J57. The plane would shake and the noise was deafening. Loved it. The B36 was long retired when I was in but the ANG units were still flying the KC-97L. It had 4 of the same P&W radial engines and 2 J47s. Occasionally a couple of them would land at our base. They’d taxi onto the ramp and we’d park them. Always loved the sound of those radial engines.
Where you stationed and what years? We had KC-135A's at Barksdale AFB when I was there. I was a B-52 Crew chief.

Maiden flight made in April of 52, Buffs still deliver!
View attachment 287751
I Crewed both the B-52G's and B-52H models. That is a H in the pic you posted. They will always hold a special place in my heart, I loved my time spent in the Air Force as a crew chief and love the B-52, but I am quite partial because of the time I spent with them.

you guys working on/around or flying these planes must have cool stories. thx for your "heavy metal" service.

:thumbsup:

I Crewed both the B-52G's and B-52H models. That is a H in the pic you posted. They will always hold a special place in my heart, I loved my time spent in the Air Force as a crew chief and love the B-52, but I am quite partial because of the time I spent with them.

I worked on T-37s, T38s and F-5s in my youth, I work around, not on B-52s nowadays.

Where you stationed and what years? We had KC-135A's at Barksdale AFB when I was there. I was a B-52 Crew chief.
Grissom, Indiana. TDYs to Minot, Goose Bay, Torreón, Hickam. At Grissom we had mostly KCs and a few ECs. The ECs had the TF33s.

The KC-135A models used water injection to add thrust on takeoff.
Here is a video of the B-52G and KC-135A using water injection.

Yeah. If I remember correctly, there was a tank above the main wheel wells. It held 675 gallons. We would fill it with demineralized water. It was sprayed into the second stage compressor to make the fuel/air mix more dense. Water takeoffs made billowing clouds of black smoke.

Back