Help with wheel removal

66FURY_III

Reaction score
Good afternoon all,

I have to start this out by saying I have spent the past 2 hours fighting to remove my rear passenger wheel.

I have a 66 fury III with non removable fender skirts. I jacked the car up at the rear differential and had the jack stands, the whole nine yards. When I took the lug nuts off and tried to take tire off it kept hitting the inner fender. I can't tell you how many times I twisted and contorted my body trying to get this off (cirque du soleil would be jealous) and it keeps getting stuck. There isn't enough clearance to move the tire up and then bend it out either. I think maybe there's a different jacking point maybe somewhere that I've clearly missed. I feel like by jacking it up via the differential it compressed the suspension so much that it just ate up the precious few inches I require to take it out. I've searched on the forum here but either I'm not using enough search terms or just not the right ones but I've struck out every time.

Cheers guys

Any help will truly be appreciated.

IMG_20151104_212731.jpg

I don't see any skirts in that photo. The thing to do is to jack the car up and put jack stands at the front leaf spring mounting point. The suspension will hang and it should give enough room for tire/rim removal.
I have 15x8 rims on the rear of my 65 Sport Fury and that is how I have to get them on/off.

How big a tire can I.............

These cars come with bumper jacks so you can change out a tire on the side of the road. I hate the idea but that's what was done.
By the way welcome to the forum 66Fury_III.

I saw that bumper jack idea in the manual, not something I was willing to try out. Yes it's hilarious that I couldn't figure this out quickly but that's what working a 14hr night shift will do to ya :)
Either way it's off and now I can set about fixing both rear wheel cylinders and change the drums out which are also needing to be replaced...stamped with "Chryco."
Cheers guys and enjoy your long weekend

I did the same thing and ran into the same problem,,,,don't feel alone lol.

Support the car by the body "rails" (don't know the technical term) under the car and let the suspension hang down; tires will be clear of the wheel wells then.

If the correct length shocks are not in place they can keep the rear differential from dropping far enough to allow the tire to be removed. You would have to disconnect the shocks to allow the differential to drop.

Good afternoon all,

I have to start this out by saying I have spent the past 2 hours fighting to remove my rear passenger wheel.

I have a 66 fury III with non removable fender skirts. I jacked the car up at the rear differential and had the jack stands, the whole nine yards. When I took the lug nuts off and tried to take tire off it kept hitting the inner fender. I can't tell you how many times I twisted and contorted my body trying to get this off (cirque du soleil would be jealous) and it keeps getting stuck. There isn't enough clearance to move the tire up and then bend it out either. I think maybe there's a different jacking point maybe somewhere that I've clearly missed. I feel like by jacking it up via the differential it compressed the suspension so much that it just ate up the precious few inches I require to take it out. I've searched on the forum here but either I'm not using enough search terms or just not the right ones but I've struck out every time.

Cheers guys

Any help will truly be appreciated.

nice car...cant remember seeing a shaved 4dr ...l like

just about all C bodies suffer from that issue stock wheels or not don't they???:confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

I cant recall any car where you can pull the rear wheels without letting the axle drop down. I'm sure there are exceptions but none of them were cars that I handled.

I forgot to add that you own a very nice looking Fury! what is under the "bonnet" as they say over the pond? Love to see more pics of your Fury III

Back