Home Sweet Home

GJS

Reaction score
I'm over the friggin moon to announce that closing on my wife and my new home is scheduled for this Friday!

It's been a long and ridiculous trip home. All this started in 2012 (!!?!?!??). I moved back to the USA from Montreal and rented a 625 sq ft cabin next to my land in Stafford, CT. The idea was to live in the cabin (potentially buy it) and build on my land over the coming years however, after a rotten 75' maple tree fell on my 2014 Ram 2500 and my landlord went nuts and clear cut the land, I left the cabin and moved in with my now wife.

She owned a small cape in East Hartford, CT. No garage, no basement. A nice enough and solid little home with a nice back yard but really, no room to do anything.
We decided to start planning the build on my land back in Stafford but with the existing mortgage of her home, we wouldn't be able to finance the build. We put her house on the market in September of 2016 and moved into a storage unit while we couch surfed till the place sold in December of that same year.

We then took a small two bedroom, half the size of the house with our three dogs and our cat. Shortly after we realized that building would not be an option. We just couldn't get the price into a reasonable range so we started shopping in about April of this year.

As real estate can be, esp in this market, we lost many houses. Then my lady spotted this place: a rather large cape, built in '78. The main house and garage were actually in great shape. The lot is a nicely situated 3.06 acres with a nice strong slope to the west and crazy crazy landscaping (most of which is pretty overgrown at this point) and an inground pool (not working at this time, but there). The place had been on the market forever so while she was very very into it .. I was a little skeptical. Through all it's issue though, once I saw it, I changed my tune rather quickly.

The biggest issue is that the foundation on the sunroom addition (built around '87) was done with that fabulous pyrrhotite packed concrete that has DESTROYED so many homes and lives in our area. The upside of that (in our case) was that the sunroom was built in the same way one builds a deck off the back of their home and I was able to draw up a way to use 6 techno posts and a carrier beam to support the entirety of the sunroom. I brought all this to the town building guy who was surprisingly and thankfully very reasonable about it. He made his adjustments to my plan, signed off and I passed it onto my contractor.

The following months have been real hard. We had to leave our apartment two weeks ago and move all our stuff into the garage at the new house having not even closed while living between our parents places and hotels. All that not even being sure that the closing would happen!

All things considered, we bought well and have a home that we can fit and grow into for once... Friday night I will collapse on the floor in that house and sleep with a pizza next to my head.

AND it matches Beverly. Win win!
378_00.jpg

In '78., I bought a classic Cape very similar to yours (actually, aren't all classic Capes similar?) outside of Boston proper. And Stafford is a nice area.
Congratulations and to many years of happy home ownership.

That's great! Home ownership is a good feeling.

I just drove through Connecticut last week. Where is the new place?

That's great! Home ownership is a good feeling.

I just drove through Connecticut last week. Where is the new place?
The new homestead is in Tolland, CT. It's really cool, actually, it's about a 25 minute ride to work and about 15 minutes from either of our parents places which is really good as they are the reason both of us moved back to the state ... Stafford was a bit of a haul!

Congrats my fellow CT resident. I wish you good luck with the new place. Let me know when you want to put stripes down on the driveway...

Bill

Very nice home! And you're only 30 min away from Enfield which is home of the best Mexican restaurant located on the east coast.

Congrats on yer new yeller house, Gav!

So when's the house warming?? :poke:

The house is always warm and the BBQ is always on. Whenever you're in the neighborhood, bro!

I'm happy for you. Buying a house can be an exhausting process.

It definitely can be. I don't remember my previous house being this nutzo but then I was light three dogs and was moving from a quite large apartment that I'd been in for years! It's all worth it though!
Congrats my fellow CT resident. I wish you good luck with the new place. Let me know when you want to put stripes down on the driveway...

I'd rather figure out how many fellow FCBO rides I can fit on 3 acres for a weekend BBQ next summer!

Bill

Very nice home! And you're only 30 min away from Enfield which is home of the best Mexican restaurant located on the east coast.

Wow, which is that? My dad grew up in Enfield and because of that he knows the history of virtually every building in the town... not too good at pointing out good new stuff though!

Wow, which is that? My dad grew up in Enfield and because of that he knows the history of virtually every building in the town... not too good at pointing out good new stuff though!

Sarape's. It's really good. Make sure to check if they're open before going, however, as they're not always open.

Sarapes Restaurant - Enfield, CT

Back