Inspection.

carguy300

Reaction score
Well Ive got front of engine tore down, it has been apart before, but looks to still have fiber gear. I guess Ill go ahead and pull intake in ck all that I can, dont really want to pull the heads. From what I can see inside, looks pretty clean. I now have my winter project!

IMG_2944.jpeg

IMG_2945.jpeg

Get a good chain for that I like Cloyes myself. Looks in great shape so that means the engine was taken care of. That one is OEM and will skip a tooth eventually.

Might want to do the fuel pump also if it is original. Definitely check the fuel pump rod length now since it is all right there. Just FYI

Ive got a new fuel pump waiting to be installed. Any opinion on Edelbrock double roller gear and chain sets?, im shopping through summit site. I do get alot from them, never had any issues.

Personally Edelbrock is mostly made overseas now Look at Cloyes on Amazon, prob cheaper.

Summit has 3 Im looking at from $25- $122.
Seriously shop around. Summet is good for stuff since they have it but can usually find the same part way cheaper elsewhere. Your just keeping it stock so racing items you really dont need.

Last edited:
What I have done in a car like yours just stock and old. Anything that has rubber like a seal, hose bushing fuel pump etc should be changed since it is prob going to fail if it has not already. NOS say Vac advance does not mean it is good it has a rubber diaphram and can be dry rotted. Just a example. I see things like 50 year old front Mopar oil seals sell. Are you out of your mind trusting that?

Personally Edelbrock is mostly made overseas now Look at Cloyes on Amazon, prob cheaper.
I think the Cloyes stuff isn't made in this country either.

In fact, it would not surprise me if the Edelbrock and the Cloyes stuff was built in the same place.

Last one I got a while ago was marked made in USA from Napa.

As mentioned, Cloyes is probably the best brand to get. I put over 425K on a Cloyes Plus Roller timing chain set on one of my cars. It might be trendy to buy from Summit, nothing the matter with that, but do do some price shopping to ensure you are getting the best price.

FWIW, Edelbrock is now owned by someone other than the Edelbrock family. Just as Holley is not owned by Colt Industries, and car hobby advocate Corky Coker does not own Coker Tire any more either.

Not that it has or will happen, but when "the family" is not there any more, eventually it becomes "a business" rather than "a passion" and some deterioration can possibly occur over time, by observation. Next time you go into the Holley website, look at the upper brand of companies that are now associated with Holley. Similar with the group that owns Edelbrock. Many used to be the cream of the crop when they were individual operations . . . and many of them still are. Not unlike the many individual OEM-level brands of the 1960s are now owned by about two larger entities. Same with aluminum wheels, too.

In one respect, I don't care where the item might be made. Off-shore companies usually build what the customer wants. Which means the base metals, the heat treat, level of quality control, and percent of defects . . . while still meeting the price point of the customer's own choosing. Same way it happens in this country or anywhere else. Myself and some others in here are old enough to remember when there were some USA brands that were very mediocre in durability and quality as other better brands were "gold". Back when about the only thing that was oriental-produced were inexpensive metal car toys (i.e., 1960s and prior).

Take care,
CBODY67

Last edited:
Just filled out my Christmas list, have cloyes timing set, mellon oil pump, fel pro gasket set, valley pan gasket and standard ign distributor and hdwr on the way. Still not going to pull the heads at this time. Hopefully this will get her running! Thanks guys for all the ideas and opinions!

FWIW, Edelbrock is now owned by someone other than the Edelbrock family. Just as Holley is not owned by Colt Industries, and car hobby advocate Corky Coker does not own Coker Tire any more either.
Everything is being bought up and consolidated.

Even my business (I sold out 9 years ago) was recently bought by a larger company and they also bought our competition.

Cloyes was bought in 2022 by Mid-Ocean partners, an equity management company that also owns businesses like Sbarro and United Biscuits. So the same company that owns the place in the mall that sells crappy pizza also owns Cloyes.

I dont think the globalist elites want US to keep fixing our americana classics!
IF they want to ensure the value of their properties, they'd better continue to build and sell quality parts . . . or somebody else will. But then too, I remember when Carter Carburetor was bought, disected, and sold for "junk bonds", too . . . just because they could, it seemed.

Back