KYB shocks and shocks

Buy them! Big difference in rid quality.
Tip:when installing the front shocks keep them compressed to get them in.
I zip tied mine and once up in the hole cut the zip tie and quickly line the bottom bolt hole.
It take a lot to compress KYB's and they rebound very quickly so act swiftly!!

Somebody, in another forum several years ago, claimed that the MM for a C-body actually had B-body valving in them. Which is why they don't have the control prior Monroes did. FWIW

CBODY67

KYB Gas-A-Just shocks are a great choice IMHO. I have them installed on two fusie Dodges with original springs and fresh Hankook Optimo H724 tires, and I love the combo. Good control of these barges, yet very smooth on really bad roads.

Last edited:
I did larger than oem t bars first and the Monroe's had a serious lack of ability to control. Kybs made big difference. Modern sport SUV tires then again made huge difference

Mine were so stiff you could hardly push the body down an inch.
Going down the road I would cringe every time I went over a crack in the asphalt. Bang, Bang, Bang. Worse than air shocks.
Did I have the wrong ones?

Mine were so stiff you could hardly push the body down an inch.
Going down the road I would cringe every time I went over a crack in the asphalt. Bang, Bang, Bang. Worse than air shocks.
Did I have the wrong ones?
I can't imagine any other part number would fit in the car so don't know. I never tried them with stock bars to have an opinion on whether they over control in that case. But...standard street shocks shouldn't behave like that, your condition sounds more like a 90/10 drag shock set to resist compression.

Sold the car soon after.
I was just no fun to drive anymore.

49340090-69DA-4A21-A180-35A0DF8A736E.jpeg

Interesting! There are TWO KYB levels. The GR-2/Excel-G is in the "Restore" spectrum. The Gas-A-Just is in the "Performance" spectrum.

There is a REBATE program rather than just decreased prices, from what I found.

I find the Monroe comments interesting, considering that Monroe was Chrysler's OEM supplier for shocks (Stamped "MAECO", as in Monroe Auto Equipment Company). Their Super 500 line of HD shocks was legendary for firming things up without harshness, on Chryslers or anything else. The Chrysler part number HD shocks were probably those without the Monroe labels, from my experience on our '66 Newport.

The original MonroeMatics were the first inexpensive upgrade from stock OEM, having 1" pistons, front and rear. Then came the Super 500 HD shocks, with 1 3/8" pistons in the rear and HD valving in the front 1" shocks.

The Gabriel Strider adjustable shocks were very good, too. Put them on the front of the '66 when the Chrysler HDs started to leak. Adjusted one notch firmer and they matched the Monroes in firmness.

BUT, that was 35+ years ago. I know that the same shock part numbers that fit and worked so well on the '66 were softer on the '70 Monaco 383, and on the '72 Newport. Not sure what got lost "in the translation"? As good as the Super 500s were on the '66, I got some Monroe RadialMatics for the '67 (same piston bore diameter). Not as good as I suspected.

Things seem to be a lot more "cut and dried" now than in the past. Fewer choices, fewer brands. BUT I did discover that tire choice can make a difference, too. A performance-oriented tire with a stiffer sidewall will be firmer than a normal radial tire.

So my search continues . . .

CBODY67

Cheap Monroe's do not even have a manufacturer warranty. Previous owner put a set on a Charger I have and the car rode like a 80s Buick. Took them off and 3 out of 4 would not extend after being compressed and they were about a year old.

So you buy a performance shock and then don't like the harshness of the ride?
I really just need to become a hermit, and block off the outside world.
They are a good shock and a decent value. On sale even better.

I believe that Monroes are classed as a "low pressure" gas shock, whereas KYBs are a mid-pressure gas shock, and Bilsteins are a high-pressure gas shock. Obviously, the amount of gas pressure related to their unrestrained extension performance. The last pair of Konis I got for the front of my '77 Camaro were low-pressure gas shocks. Performed the same as the earlier non-gas shocks did.

I put a pair of normal Gabriels on the front of my '77 Camaro, in the late '90s as I couldn't afford a pair of Konis (like I'd put on it) at the time. It did the '55 Buick "float", although the same shocks also had '57 Chevy cars in their application list. They were good enough, but came off as soon as I could afford the Konis, again.

If you read the literature on modern shock absorbers, they ALL say the same thing as to features (each with their own name for them). ALL have some sort of "velocity-sensitive valving". BUT so have shocks since they have evolved from the earliest versions! Three-stage damping, it used to be termed. On the first two model years of Olds Intrigues, the front struts had 4-stage damping with "all-weather" fluid. As the mainstream, old-line brands have surprisingly similar features, it leads me to believe they all come from the same contracted manufacturer? Do I know that for sure? No, just my studied suspicion. KYB, Koni, and Bilstein are not in that mix, as each never was a mainstream USA brand, to me.

Enjoy!
CBODY67

I'm joining this year-old thread because I am looking for front shocks and there seems to be many opinions but not a lot of choices. When I got my wagon in 2018 the shocks were bad so one of the first things I did was replace them with cheapie Amazon Monroes. Combined with re-bushing the sway bar, my initial impression was good with better cornering and a floaty but very comfortable ride. I am looking for factory original ride quality but it seems with more miles that what I have now is more floaty than it should be. Sudden rises or dips in the pavement cause a real hop and in some cases bottoming out. I have made the mistake on too many cars in the past of using "high performance" or "super HD" shocks which primarily destroyed the ride quality. Is there a middle ground shock out there that would fix my problem without making the wagon ride like a truck?

just got my car back with KYB's all around. Haven't done much driving yet but the bounce is definitely gone after hitting a dip in the road.

Back