"Little (blood) Red" Gets Her Own Thread (Too)

Don't you know someone who restores carburetors? Those factory parts work way better than aftermarket holley or edelbrock carbs.. Also I hate these aluminum radiators.. Only thing they do is boiling over, got my factory radiator restored, works perfectly even when we've above 90 degrees outside

Don't you know someone who restores carburetors? Those factory parts work way better than aftermarket holley or edelbrock carbs.. Also I hate these aluminum radiators.. Only thing they do is boiling over, got my factory radiator restored, works perfectly even when we've above 90 degrees outside
I was given the option to fix those leaking points on the carb... But, apparently they tend to leak again down the road per my mechanic. I have had good luck with carb replacements...most recently the 59 Impala which I sold soon after. Now one of my biggest pet peeves is overheating...My other 72 has what appears to be aftermarket radiator and carb and runs nice and I have the most confidence in long distance driving...Big Red did get new waterpump etc... The 73(Old Red) runs a little hot and has spit antifreeze out her overflow twice. I replaced radiator cap and so far so good. I have never put electric fans on any of my old iron. But, I'm thinking of installing electric fans on any of them that run a little hot after all new components are installed as a backup... like this 72 is getting waterpump and radiator, etc...I hope there is no issue. I will be test running her for sure before she leaves shop. Then, we'll see about Tina Patina...probably a similar story with her cooling system...I am finding less and less options to recore radiators from the mechanics I have and their resources.

Booster sent off for rebuild and ACC pump.
FB_IMG_1532967256730.jpg
FB_IMG_1532967247545.jpg
FB_IMG_1532967235274.jpg

UPDATE: Little Red is slowing getting overhauled...just waiting for rebuilt parts to come back. Hope to get her on the road before Summer is over.
39027562_10212537773026104_6504464026871791616_o.jpg
38681675_10212537773906126_3786270544828039168_o.jpg
38905583_10212537771226059_4386848912888037376_o.jpg

UPDATE: Little Red is slowing getting overhauled...just waiting for rebuilt parts to come back. Hope to get her on the road before Summer is over.
View attachment 205077 View attachment 205078 View attachment 205079

Dear Doc,

Molded plugs may be the main jet wells. If so, they can be carefully removed and reset with JB Weld.... Don’t replace the carb if you don’t have to. As long as the throttle body is good, you can replace the phenolic body.

Problem with replacement rebuilt TQ’s is they trend to be an amalgam of parts for different years and carbs.

Main jets, needles and throttle bodies need to be correct for the car.

And as I’m learning the hard way... floats need to be brand new.

Javier

Dear Doc,

Molded plugs may be the main jet wells. If so, they can be carefully removed and reset with JB Weld.... Don’t replace the carb if you don’t have to. As long as the throttle body is good, you can replace the phenolic body.

Problem with replacement rebuilt TQ’s is they trend to be an amalgam of parts for different years and carbs.

Main jets, needles and throttle bodies need to be correct for the car.

And as I’m learning the hard way... floats need to be brand new.

Javier
Thanks Javier. I appreciate all the advice from the seasoned forum members...Marv also advised to keep carb. This coupe sat so long there was extreme rust in tank and carb, etc...I think my mechanic Pat tried everything to save it...actually I think I'm into the rebuild carb about 600.00 in labor/parts and we have to toss it anyway. I can mention it to him just to make sure no pulse left. I personally have not had any issues with other carbs. A different shop swapped out a carb on my 59 Impala, no problem...of course I sold it to make room for Imperials...hahahaha...And Big Red's engine (E5 72 4 dr) is far from stock and she runs like a sewing machine. I'll ask again as I'm headed down to shop next week to check on progress of coupe/photoshoot and Tina Patina (A5 73 4dr) is next in line on the rack.

Last edited:
Ironically, I did get this resource this week from another C body venue. Location is Massachusetts I believe.
38885462_10216709247221388_880878160114089984_n.jpg

Marv also advised to keep carb.
If you have the chance to keep the carb then use it. Even if you spend some bucks to refurbish it... If you get a new holley or edelbrock carb you should also go for a matching intake and air filter which will end up in more than 500 bucks

Thanks Javier. I appreciate all the advice from the seasoned forum members...Marv also advised to keep carb. This coupe sat so long there was extreme rust in tank and carb, etc...I think my mechanic Pat tried everything to save it...actually I think I'm into the rebuild carb about 600.00 in labor/parts and we have to toss it anyway. I can mention it to him just to make sure no pulse left. I personally have not had any issues with other carbs. A different shop swapped out a carb on my 59 Impala, no problem...of course I sold it to make room for Imperials...hahahaha...And Big Red's engine (E5 72 4 dr) is far from stock and she runs like a sewing machine. I'll ask again as I'm headed down to shop next week to check on progress of coupe/photoshoot and Tina Patina (A5 73 4dr) is next in line on the rack.
Doc, I just talked to a guy last night, said the same thing Javier said, laughed at all the people said they were junk. He worked at the dealership all through the TQ days, I can get his info tomorrow if you'd like. Original parts on the original car...:poke::lol: (Now I'll read the posts I skipped!)

Doc, I just talked to a guy last night, said the same thing Javier said, laughed at all the people said they were junk. He worked at the dealership all through the TQ days, I can get his info tomorrow if you'd like. Original parts on the original car...:poke::lol: (Now I'll read the posts I skipped!)
:bs_flag: sorry but I must disagree. A person wants to get in the car and drive it, not tinker. I'd rather be driving than be worried that some clown is going pull out his mopar carb book and start matching numbers. Just me...

The original parts bit was tounge in cheek. I live driving my cars, but I love tinkering with them too. I know Doc's a turn key type of guy, and leaves the tinkering to someone else.
:bs_flag: sorry but I must disagree. A person wants to get in the car and drive it, not tinker. I'd rather be driving than be worried that some clown is going pull out his mopar carb book and start matching numbers. Just me...

Last edited:
Update: Mechanic using Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with original intake. Keeping original carb if there's issues down the road.

I'm building a new relationship with this Mankato shop (70+ miles away)...my first Imperial there (Little Red) is getting the test. My other two local mechanics (overhauled Big Red) are having some health issues and are out of their shop for months healing. So, I kinda want to leave this new team (Mankato shop) "carte blanche" to attack multiple issues with the coupe. They also received the most recent acquisition ( A5 Tina Patina) and are storing her at no charge as she awaits her turn on the rack. Would like to think if all goes well...there could be a bunch of repeat business as other Imperials surface over time.:lol:

Update: Mechanic using Edelbrock 500 cfm carb with original intake. Keeping original carb if there's issues down the road.
Isn't 500cfm a little small? I know they're Chevy guys and all.:poke: But that seems small to me, I'd think at least a 650 or so, I always slap.on a 750 as my carb size of choice.

*Feedback from mechanic today: I should notice no difference between 500 and 650 cfm...and 750 cfm's too much fuel for that engine.

I'm learning as I go on these Imperials. I won't know until I drive her if 500 cfm ok.

*Feedback from mechanic today: I should notice no difference between 500 and 650 cfm...and 750 cfm's too much fuel for that engine.

I'm learning as I go on these Imperials. I won't know until I drive her if 500 cfm ok.
I hope he's right, or I'm wrong. I just wouldn't go any smaller than what the factory installed.

Back