My 1969 Dodge Polara Wagon

I screwed up - hadn't driven it for awhile and it was the absence of the tail gate handle that I was recalling was annoying as @BLIMP indicated. My bad...........................:BangHead:

Tried out a test patch on the Polara with some Polish and Ammo Hydrate
IMG_0558.JPG

I guess time to put on some tunes and do the rest of the car..

Huge difference! Although we really need to see more pictures from all angles to get a better idea...:poke:

How did your efforts with the polish turn out? I know your goal is to eventually paint it black...personally I enjoy the weathered paint with primer showing thru.

Good job so far, you're off to a healthy start! If I was local I'd be swinging by in my own wagon and offering some help. Keep the updates coming :thumbsup:

I don’t remember, what was your Powertrain plan? (Found it. 440)What did it have originally? (Found it 383)
The empty engine bay gives it the gasser look.

And are you going to take on your seat covers yourself?

Last edited:
How did your efforts with the polish turn out? I know your goal is to eventually paint it black...personally I enjoy the weathered paint with primer showing thru.
I just haven't been able to find the time to sit down and do the rest of the car, I've done a few test spots here and there and it looks like pretty much most of it will clean up nicely!
A full paint job won’t be in my budget any time soon, I am planning on Wrapping the car black soon(ish), and getting the chalky dead paint off with the polish will help a lot for that...

And are you going to take on your seat covers yourself?
I've got a few friends in my school's costume department, they said they'd be down to help me with the process but yeh for the most part it'll be me...

At least It looks like your old covers will work well for patterns. Duct tape is your friend for the ones that are totally ripped. Also remember the left and right are mirror images so if you at least have one good side it will make it easier. If your friends can make costumes they should be able to figure out your seats. Labeling during disassembly and patterning will pay dividends.

A full paint job won’t be in my budget any time soon, I am planning on Wrapping the car black soon(ish), and getting the chalky dead paint off with the polish will help a lot for that...

I like that plan a lot. You get the look you want for the time being, and the color change is not irreversible.

Haven't updated in a bit, been working on the 440 a bit here and there..
IMG_0838.JPG

Some of the parts I am/ gonna be using -
The Paint is POR-15 Chrysler Turquoise Engine Enamel, ARP Engine Bolt Kit 545-9701 (bought through ebay link now expired), MOPAR 440 413 426 HiPo Electronic Ignition Kit, '69 HP Manifolds (bought through ebay link now expired), with Heat Shield EXHAUST GASKETS and the manifold stud kit ( also bought through ebay link now expired), FEL-PRO 1215, Fel-Pro FS7891PT11, Cloyes C-3044 Double Row Timing Chain, Carter M4589 Fuel Pump,
NGK U1173 (49030) Ignition Coil, NGK XR4IX Iridium Spark Plugs, Beck Arnley 041-8139 Oil Filter and SUM-G2340 Windage Tray
I'll update the parts list as the build goes...

As per @ayilar and @71Polara383's recommendations, I ordered a set of Dynatech MityMounts (BCE66-74) Motor Mounts and Prothane Motion Control 4-1603-BL Transmission Mount
Also, have a bunch of suspension and brake parts on order.

Looks great! You might want to also look into purchasing a high volume oil pump. Keep up the good work!

another wee update, still waiting on parts for the Polara...been working on the 440 more between classes and shifts tho..
IMG_0904.JPG

Looks like the Thermo quad (6-2124) that came with the motor doesn't fit the "new" intake I put on P/N 2951738-1, I'm debating if I should get a new carb that's compatible with the intake or just get a carb adapter and use this thermoquad (after rebuilding it) for the time being as I intend to switch to EFI in the future..

@BLIMP I tried to find a MELLING M63HV high-volume oil pump but looks like they're out of stock everywhere, I'll swap one in when I can get my hands on one.

also updating the parts list -
440 Source Aluminum Water Pump Housing (Passenger Side) with an Airtex AW1040 Engine Water Pump
Lectric Limited Repro Spark Plug Wire Set (bought through ebay link now expired)
The black paint I'm using for all the brackets and crankshaft pulleys and stuff is Dupli-Color EDE163407 Low Gloss with coats of Rustoleum Rust Converter or Self Etching Primer underneath.

Installed new taillights on the Polara today,
Found some NOS inner lenses on eBay
Thanks to @71Polara383 for the outer lights, along with a roof rack and some interior pieces for it.
DDAC0372-7F2F-4C13-B9E3-75149CD20A11.jpeg

Polished the housings and painted in the black inlay with some duplicolor low gloss.
26F4BC06-C90F-4FE4-AADE-97877DEF4FB1.jpeg
Here’s them on the car -
3FFF9480-D483-4139-AEE5-2156A6599B8C.jpeg

Last edited:
Nice wagon as I just noticed the thread.Made me sigh a little. Why?

First, my wife would go why did you buy that thing, or what the heck is it? Something along those lines.

Two, I am a sucker for toggle switches as seen on the lower left of the dash. The more toggles the better. The only thing better is an Apollo Command capsule.

I tried out some interior repair over our spring break, I took the door panels off and used some SEM color coat satin black on them, there were a bunch of cracks and parts of it where the fabric were missing, I found some fabric in our costume shop that was a similar feel and pattern and I glued it on and used some caulk and super glue to fill in the seams…and then SEM spray all over it. Also repainted the trim that goes between the arm rests and door cards, and found new arm rests on eBay. They don’t look half bad, but I’ll probably replace them if I found a nice new pair..
55D4E9FE-ACEE-43B5-B127-CC092BC5D2F7.jpeg
D3BA8CF6-B217-4228-A315-DD4C15DD28BF.jpeg
8FBA8A78-B19F-44B8-ABFE-FCB6857C0F43.jpeg

I’m waiting on some sound deadening insulation to show before I put the door cards back on.

Also did a test fit of the roof rack I got from @71Polara383 with just some gaff tape for now
FE1B3B82-E952-4295-B583-8BC621D1ABC6.jpeg

EEF5CEE3-3E5B-4D8E-8177-65E6E087921A.jpeg
Busy with my second school year wrapping up, I haven’t been able to make a bunch of progress on the wagon, although from the recommendation of my mentor, I brought out the engine to our BFA portfolio review with the other stuff I worked on this year, along with some pictures of the wagon’s story for context. A lot of people seemed to get a kick out of seeing a whole engine in between the tables of costumes and other sculptures and stuff..

Since my school’s on winter break, I finally got some time to start working on the wagon again.
I’ve been preparing the 440 to go into the wagon, which I’m planning on doing first week of Jan.
IMG_5653.JPG

IMG_5705.JPG

I don't think I'm gonna put the magnum decal on it, just placed it with the backing to see how it looks.
IMG_5667.JPG

I was trying to change the shocks but the ones I got at autozone where the wrong size, I've got a pair of KYB KG5512 on order.
I also scored a 26” Mishimoto radiator on Black Friday for like 60% off. and got some parts from a fellow forum member to convert the wagon to discs in the front.

Back