My new 1972 Imperial purchase delivered today.

Flashing refers to the left over bits of material when a part is removed from it's mould. Look halfway down the letter M and you'll see there's a small "lump" of material instead of it being perfectly straight vertically. That's the flashing.
There's also (at least here in OZ) another meaning which is a roofing term relating to the metal piece sealing the roof and house frame from weather intrusion.

What the hell is flashing? Aside from the obvious, extrovert, that shows his "Junk". Lol

Anyway, if you want the real good nail polish remover for your parts, I suggest what my wife uses, go down to the hardware store and buy a quart can of acetone. It works 100 times better than that perfumey, watered down nail polish remover your wife buys, at the local Rite Aid. And she'll thank you for it too! One swipe and it's gone!

Flashing refers to the left over bits of material when a part is removed from it's mould. Look halfway down the letter M and you'll see there's a small "lump" of material instead of it being perfectly straight vertically. That's the flashing.
There's also (at least here in OZ) another meaning which is a roofing term relating to the metal piece sealing the roof and house frame from weather intrusion.
I thought originally that the flashing might have been corrosive in nature over many yrs...But, I could see that this flashing was possibly there from factory...or day one at install?

I thought originally that the flashing might have been corrosive in nature over many yrs...But, I could see that this flashing was possibly there from factory...or day one at install?

I believe what you are referring to as "flashing" is pot metal corrosion. Some piece of impure ferrous material is exploding out of the lead/zinc and creating a crater.

Yes, I would grind it smooth and then paint it. If it's on the chrome there isn't much you can do.

Flash is material left on the edges, after the molding process. I've never seen a piece of factory trim that didn't at least have some effort to remove it before the chrome process.

Nice to see what will help stop Big Red...new master and rebuilt booster delivered!
20170816_152754.jpg
20170816_152728.jpg
20170816_152812.jpg

Wow, my dog wouldn't have sat still for 3 pictures! Second pic the one dog looks disappointed the boxes didn't contain something for him/her.
Another opportunity to note the differences between cats and dogs... a cat would have simply assumed the boxes were there for it's amusement, and been pissed if you tried to keep it out of them.

The dogs will want to go for a ride too I'm thinking.

What the hell is flashing? Aside from the obvious, extrovert, that shows his "Junk". Lol

Anyway, if you want the real good nail polish remover for your parts, I suggest what my wife uses, go down to the hardware store and buy a quart can of acetone. It works 100 times better than that perfumey, watered down nail polish remover your wife buys, at the local Rite Aid. And she'll thank you for it too! One swipe and it's gone!

I have seen yer nails, and they are fabulous!

Tis Christmas today!! Congrats, Doc! :thumbsup:

That steering wheel is going to transform that interior.

Now get to work! :lol:
I actually have another steering wheel (black) connected to different color column coming soon. I was thinking of mixing the black wheel/cream horn pad and use the parts/ guts of column to get back to stock on Big Red.

I actually have another steering wheel (black) connected to different color column coming soon. I was thinking of mixing the black wheel/cream horn pad and use the parts/ guts of column to get back to stock on Big Red.
Let me dig through the parts stash... I may have a black pad in decent condition... I love the colors of the wheel you've got there... works great with the Bittersweet exterior paint on later Formals.

Let me dig through the parts stash... I may have a black pad in decent condition... I love the colors of the wheel you've got there... works great with the Bittersweet exterior paint on later Formals.
Thanks...The steering column coming my way soon isn't black...wheel is black with a cream colored/white horn pad that says CHRYSLER instead of IMPERIAL...so, a black pad with IMPERIAL would be ideal...But, I'm kind of trying to get her back or close to stock... piece by piece and with correct or close colors that blend...I think the red/black/cream colors look good together...while slowly removing the excess red from interior.

How's the condition of the rim blow horn? Very important in your decision on which wheel to use.
Did you get your brakes sorted?
Have you driven her yet?

How's the condition of the rim blow horn? Very important in your decision on which wheel to use.
Did you get your brakes sorted?
Have you driven her yet?
Hopefully on the road Tuesday. I have a great mechanic that is gonna do a house call and install new master/booster in garage and see if we can drive her to shop 3 miles away instead of flatbed her for further brake work, etc...Monday I'm suppose to receive a steering column set...i'm not sure which parts i'm gonna Franken stein together to replace that wooden go cart wheel.

Back