N8-96XJ's '65 Fury III build

Yes, I suck.

vrzwq1.jpg

Ha ha! Yes that does certainly look comfortable! I moved up here from South Alabama. I lived near Gulf Shores and Mobile Bay for awhile. And yes it was quite a bit warmer and sunnier. I just couldn't take the heat. I enjoy living in the hills. Mountain breezes and winding roads... I'll even take a good snow now and then!

IMG_20140301_164136_573.jpg
IMG_20140301_164802_734.jpg
Thought I'd put up a couple pics. Got my new vacuum secondary carburetor on today. Car is much more well behaved! Tomorrow I'm going to finally solve my rear gearing question. It has to be a 2.??? something... I'd like to have a better pull from take- off. Guessing a 3.55 gear set and maybe a stall convertor will be next on the list. In addition to the carb I also have a 20 gallon fuel cell and a set of shorty headers as well as different mufflers to install. Got a lot to do before spring!!!

IMG_20140301_164136_573.jpg

IMG_20140301_164802_734.jpg

Thanks! And yeah, it has been a rough winter... But its March now. In like lion and out like a lamb and all that... We could all just move to Florida and harass Stan ha ha!!

So I solved the gearing mystery today! Put a piece of tape horizontally on both the drivers side tire and the driveshaft. And for ten tire revolutions the driveshaft turned roughly twenty seven and a half times. Dividing the two would equal 2.75. We'll call it a 2.76 gear. No wonder it doesn't pull hard from takeoff! And while this is great for mpg's and highway cruising I'm afraid this C body has veered far enough off course that I will be looking to replace the gear set with at least a 3.55 or 3.91 (taller tires considered).... With the cam, intake and carburetor I've installed and the headers that will be going on soon she's gonna have to have a bite to go with her bark!:3gears:

Your fury had 2.76 gears when I had it. It was good on gas but didnt excellerate very hard, I am sure youll be happier with 3.55 or higher. I looked for pictures of it yesterday with no luck, but I am sure I will find them when I stop looking. Thanks again for the updates on your project Nate.

I once had a 3:73 in a 69 sport fury, that hurt my neck
I can only imagine how it will be once some of the torque gets to the ground. Sounds like fun!!!

Your fury had 2.76 gears when I had it. It was good on gas but didnt excellerate very hard, I am sure youll be happier with 3.55 or higher. I looked for pictures of it yesterday with no luck, but I am sure I will find them when I stop looking. Thanks again for the updates on your project Nate.
Yes and thank you for keeping up with the build! I got to drive it again over the weekend. As far as my antifreeze jug of gas would take me ha ha! Should have the fuel cell in within the next couple weeks. It will be so nice to get to take it up the road!

N8-96XJ what headers did you get? Please post up some pictures of the before and after. If you could also provide install details that would be great. I'm looking to put headers on my 65 Sport Fury w/73 440 in it.

Thanks,

kellycom, the headers I got (this time)for my car are Hedman shorties. P/N 78070. I had purchased a set of b-body long tubes last year for cheap. I did not try to put them on as they looked like they were going to hit the torsion bar on the passenger side... I've done a lot of reading on line since then and I believe these Hedmans should fit my 383. I may need smaller starter. I did come across a writeup of someone trying to put these same headers on a 440 in a 65 Fury and they wouldn't fit... I guess they were hitting the inner fenders where the 440 is a bit taller and further out towards the fender wells. The same person said he had put a set on a 65 Fury with the 383 and they fit fine.... But I don't know any of this firsthand. Really wish my budget had room for the TTIs. I'll know within a month if these will work for my 383 and pass it along.

IMG_20140303_163832_285.jpg
Okay, so I got a good deal on a 4.10 gear set from an older Dodge truck... And while that was a little deeper than I planned to go I couldn't pass it up! With the taller tires on the back of my car it will probably be more like a 3.91. Not that there's that much difference. It rolls smoothly and all the gear teeth are in great shape and show good wear. I will be putting the Sure Grip unit from my housing into this one as it is single track... Should be a different car come the weekend!!!

IMG_20140303_163832_285.jpg

Thanks! I should hope it will be respectable and hold its own. I want it to be a strong cruiser for the Pilot Mt shows and the like. I do fear that this build has gone slightly astray from my original intentions sometimes... I'm not trying to build a drag car, but I do feel it leans more towards being a muscle car now. Without the emblems on it people that don't know what it is think its a GTX or a Belvedere ha ha. The funny thing is that it still rides incredibly smooth. Hopefully this gearing won't be "too much"... If it is, my friend told me he'd trade me his 3.55 for it. We'll see!

Thank you Mr.fix it! I actually did away with the AC on the car... I was looking at several hundred dollars to have everything rebuilt or replaced. So I removed everything from the engine as well as the unit inside the car. I'd say it shed nearly 100 lbs. It doesn't get too awful hot here anyway. I got vent windows now too!!!

Got my center sections switched around earlier today! One word - WOW!!! Turns out my 2.76 set was a single traction unit as well... All we had to go by was with the rear of the car on jackstands if you turned one wheel by hand the opposite would turn also... It still does this with the new center section? I'm a bit confused by this I'll admit... At any rate, Mopar meant for these cars to plant and hook. So no tire fire today ha ha! But, talk about a difference... Its like night and day! The old Fury pulls hard throughout the whole band now! Feels like a very strong car! I have to reset the timing and maybe tune on the carburetor a little, but I am extremely pleased with this modification. Fuel cell is next on the list.IMG_20140308_132753_130.jpg

IMG_20140308_132753_130.jpg

Today we reset the timing with a timing light and also put a vacuum gauge on the carburetor. I thought the car felt strong yesterday! I will now officially call it quick!! It truly surprised me!!! It still won't break traction. Just puts everything to the ground and digs and pulls... It is a wonderful feeling! I've had fast Mustangs before, one that was Procharged and ran 6.80s in the 1/8th mile. And while that was fun it in no way compares to the feeling of the Fury launching and pulling. If I had to guess, I'd say she'll run solidly into the 8 second 1/8th mile range. Which to me is a very respectable time for any street car, let alone a car of this size. I'm kinda surprised that I don't see more of these cars hot rodded... While I love an original restoration, these cars seem to work very well with only a few parts thrown at them. Still need to get the headers on and the rest of the exhaust straightened out. Couldn't be happier... :eek:s_dancing2:

Getting real tired of this weather... It was nearly 70° yesterday!! But of course it had to be spent waiting for the Fed Ex truck to bring me another wheel for the Fury. Turns out one of the 15X8s was bent.... Didn't realize it until the other day when we were moving it from my friends to his dads house. Must have been a factory defect. Jegs has been good about working with me to get a replacement. Anyway, 70° yesterday, and now as of 1:30 pm today it is snowing.... Worked a little on getting my fuel cell set up. Wanted to get it done this weekend. Oh well. Im ready for spring. Seriously...

Anyone know where I can find new chrome attachment clips for this car? Are they maybe the same for a B-body?? Need to get all of my chrome back on! Thanks!

Edit: Nevermind... found some.

Last edited:
Back