NASCAR attendance

I loved the 80's with Earnhardt, the Bodines, Petty, Yarlborogh, Elliott, when some contact didn't put you back 20 laps, Beer and cigarette sponsorship and advertising, still remember those Busch Beer commercials vividly! When I only had four channels to surf, Nascar was easier to stomach, then came the car of the future, wtf? It looked like a truck, but it was a car. I grew up watching Olds, Buick, Ford, Pontiac, and Chevy battle it out on Sunday, trading paint, fighting in the pits (usually a Bodine), and good old "rattlin'his cage" styles of driving. That's why I liked Tony Stewart, not for his driving, but his firey, albeit sometimes childish, spirit. Nascar did better with personalities, not just spokesmen.

With all the new rules, that I don't understand nor have I tried to, car templates, and homogenous BS, I said goodbye. This is similar to how I felt:

Last edited:
As for pricing, when TMS was completed, it was a really big deal. Many considered getting "Seat Licenses". Then you discovered that you still had to purchase a ticket to get to the seat Then there were the crowds and traffic. One local airport had helicopter service for $200.00/person. That was good for the people in OK, but if in Fort Worth, you had to drive through the traffic to get to the helicopter airport. Busses? How are they going to get preferred lanes when all lanes on I-35W are jammed? Lots of neat ideas, but few feasible-for-everybody ones, BEFORE the hotel industry invaded the area.

NASCAR has always been about more blue-collar people attending, with the "suits" being in the air conditioned boxes (when applicable). But the ticket prices and such aren't "blue collar" any more! It might also be that many of the infield motorhome attendees are getting too "vintage" to want to drive a 30' motor-house, or own one that costs $250K?

On the other hand, "Jerry World" in Arlington saw no real decrease when their new prices were announced, compared to the old TX Stadium prices. But there's more to see there than just "stuff on the field".

Only thing is that most of the NASCAR tracks should be paid off by now. Just the variable overhead of operation, rather than that plus debt service.

What about the non-NASCAR classes? Perhaps there are too many NASCAR racers and types thereof, which have diluted the market for the consumers? LOTS of possible issues!

CBODY67

A lot of the younger kids today don't even care about getting their drivers licenses, why would they care about watching racing? Nobody is replacing the old time fans that are dying off or are in nursing homes. Can't go to the track when there are video games to play.

I've been to several Nascar races, I will never attend another until they go to dealerships and use those 'Stock bodies". They can use the current roll cage and put current bodies on them. And please don't get me going on NHRA Four wide.

NASCAR just is not the same as in the '60s. You can't discount the increase in engine technology that results in more power and speed, but the old "I wonder who's cheatin' with what?" aspect just is not there any more, which was part of the allure to see who might win.

Kind of like drag racin' "bracket racing" in one respect. It's good to win, but if you "break out", you didn't toe the line as it should be. Too many cars on the track, it seems.

Maybe too many horror stories of flying shrapnel from wrecks getting past the safety nets?

CBODY67

Big time sponsors are running away from NASCAR like crazy. They might sponsor a race or two but few will be sponsoring ( monetarily supporting) a car for the entire season.

NASCAR, like every other major sport, has gotten way too greedy. The cost of fielding a team, what they pay these drivers and crews along with the perks they receive, the big multi-car teams raise the competitive bar and cost to astronomical levels and the sponsors and fans are paying for it. TV contracts in the billions (?) can't cover all the expenditures.Its s sinking ship......

I don't remember for sure.... but I thought i was told it cost about $30 Million to sponsor one cup car for the entire season.

Hmmmm...thats why building materials, car parts, tools, clothes, beer and everything else sponsoring NASCAR (and all sports) cost us, the lowly consumer so much. Isn't the field of cars shrinking? I thought I read where they were down to 40 cars for Daytona and thst took away the suspense of bubble day?

I really think that if they made some minor changes the show would get better.
Make the tires 2” narrower, no spoiler, no splitter, back to carburetors and the biggie for me, solid rear ends that can’t swing. That would make the teams have to lower the horse power and would reduce the cost. Also do away with the charter system and all provisional starting spots, if you don’t qualify you go home.
I know it won’t happen, but I’d like to see them try it

Do away with body templates, car of tomorrow or next month or whatever they deem to call it. If Dodge wants to race a box so be it.....
Get rid of some of the more ridiculous rules and race proceedures...
In an effort to level the playing field, all they've accomplished is watered down parades....not racing. Certainly nothing to draw new fans and keep the old ones attention.

If you look to see when the decline started it was the year they implemented the silly chase format.
The fans saw through it be ause it was manipulating the outcome. Resetting the points after 26 races and now resetting them every four races and preventing anyone who was not one of the "chasers" from improving their spot in the standings higher thann 13th (now 16th). Then the phantom debris cautions to prevent the golden child from going a lap down, selective enforcement of rules, and even special dispensation for one team allowing them into the chase only because "they deserved it".
Every time the tv ratings and attendance falls off na$car doubles down on stupidity. Na$car"s troubles are na$cars own doing.

The 80's and here I thought the late 60's and early 70's were the best years for NASCAR drivers and cars.
I was born in '75, do I only speak.of what I know. They weren't the best years overall, just the best for me.

Back