New member intro : '57 Desoto Firesweep

Holy cow. I won't even ask how much the chroming was on a square inch basis. There's a lot of real estate there.

Holy cow is right. The owner had to scrape me off the floor when he gave me the price. I'm a glutton for punishment; I'm taking over the last 20 pieces of stainless for polishing this morning.

Beautiful ......... I'm sure you could have bought a decent car for the cost of plating those parts. BUT ...... It's in the details ......... Those parts are like glittering jewery on a pretty woman. Once installed the memory of the cost fades.

Thanks, they do nice work for sure.

Dropped off 20 pieces of stainless trim. It should be ready for pickup in 10 days.
ss trim 1.jpgss trim 2.jpgss trim 3.jpg

ss trim 1.jpg

ss trim 2.jpg

ss trim 3.jpg

Stopped by the body shop this morning. The body is in primer with a guide coat and ready for long board work. Hopefully, painting will start next week.

DESOTO WORK 011.jpgDESOTO WORK 012.jpgDESOTO WORK 013.jpgDESOTO WORK 015.jpgDESOTO WORK 018.jpg

DESOTO WORK 011.jpg

DESOTO WORK 012.jpg

DESOTO WORK 013.jpg

DESOTO WORK 015.jpg

DESOTO WORK 018.jpg

Reassembled the front and rear bumpers today. All ready for install on the car after paint is completed.

DESOTO WORK 027.jpgDESOTO WORK 028.jpgDESOTO WORK 029.jpgDESOTO WORK 030.jpgDESOTO WORK 031.jpgDESOTO WORK 032.jpgDESOTO WORK 033.jpgDESOTO WORK 034.jpg

DESOTO WORK 027.jpg

DESOTO WORK 028.jpg

DESOTO WORK 029.jpg

DESOTO WORK 030.jpg

DESOTO WORK 031.jpg

DESOTO WORK 032.jpg

DESOTO WORK 033.jpg

DESOTO WORK 034.jpg

Tail light assemblies reworked and ready for installation after paint work is done.

DESOTO WORK.jpg

DESOTO WORK.jpg

Good day today. Received a bunch of parts from Gary Goers and a anti-sway bar assembly from John of BigM. In addition to that the painter put on some base coat on the doors, trunk lid, hood and a few other parts. So things are moving along.

DESOTO WORK 045.jpgDESOTO WORK 043.jpgDESOTO WORK 041.jpgDESOTO WORK 040.jpgDESOTO WORK 039.jpgDESOTO WORK 038.jpgDESOTO WORK 037.jpgDESOTO WORK 036.jpgDESOTO WORK 035.jpgDESOTO WORK 044.jpg

DESOTO WORK 045.jpg

DESOTO WORK 035.jpg

DESOTO WORK 036.jpg

DESOTO WORK 037.jpg

DESOTO WORK 038.jpg

DESOTO WORK 039.jpg

DESOTO WORK 040.jpg

DESOTO WORK 041.jpg

DESOTO WORK 043.jpg

DESOTO WORK 044.jpg

You are fast! Things are really moving along. You must be very well organized.

Glad to hear also that you got a package from Gary Goers. Is he pretty much back in business then since his couple year difficulties with a broken ankle? Sure hope so - he is the best their is in providing parts for the older cars and a great guy to boot.

X2 On Gary Gowers, Steve. You haven't lived 'til you've seen him as auctioneer at either of the 300 club party's. For the folks that haven't meet Gary Gowers yet, when you do you're in for ah real treat. The guy made a dual 300 meet party at Carlisle in '99. Left Kalispell and air mailed the fuel cell in his A-body before he got out of Montana. Ran another 2300 miles from that point of loosing the tank with 6, 5 gallon plastic canz in the trunk and switching the hose as needed and stopping to refill all 6 when also needed, and had ah correct replacement tank waiting for him at the front desk when he checked in at the Penn Harris Motel in Camp Hill, Pa. That Thursday before the meet started on Friday. The only reason I know that story iz that I waz standing at the check in desk when Gary walked in to check in and pick up hiz new tank. The Man iz ah Mopar treasure and historian and we won't even get started on the positive impact he'z had on the hobby for more yearz then I care to count. Yeah jes gotta love the guy and I'm glad tah know him and real glad he'z fought 'n won that health scare he concured ah while back, Jer

You are fast! Things are really moving along. You must be very well organized.

Glad to hear also that you got a package from Gary Goers. Is he pretty much back in business then since his couple year difficulties with a broken ankle? Sure hope so - he is the best their is in providing parts for the older cars and a great guy to boot.

Things are coming together pretty well. The body/paint guy really got on the car fast. I am the only job at his shop now and he is really pulling out all the stops. Yes, Gary Gowers seems to be doing very well. We spoke a couple times on the phone and he sounded well. Still staying very busy with all that he has going on. I was very pleased that he had all of the parts I ordered in stock and he shipped the parts out really fast. A great guy to say the least.

X2 On Gary Gowers, Steve. You haven't lived 'til you've seen him as auctioneer at either of the 300 club party's. For the folks that haven't meet Gary Gowers yet, when you do you're in for ah real treat. The guy made a dual 300 meet party at Carlisle in '99. Left Kalispell and air mailed the fuel cell in his A-body before he got out of Montana. Ran another 2300 miles from that point of loosing the tank with 6, 5 gallon plastic canz in the trunk and switching the hose as needed and stopping to refill all 6 when also needed, and had ah correct replacement tank waiting for him at the front desk when he checked in at the Penn Harris Motel in Camp Hill, Pa. That Thursday before the meet started on Friday. The only reason I know that story iz that I waz standing at the check in desk when Gary walked in to check in and pick up hiz new tank. The Man iz ah Mopar treasure and historian and we won't even get started on the positive impact he'z had on the hobby for more yearz then I care to count. Yeah jes gotta love the guy and I'm glad tah know him and real glad he'z fought 'n won that health scare he concured ah while back, Jer

Hi Jer, I have not met Gary in person, but he sure has been a great help to me. Very fair pricing and fast shipments. It is amazing how much stuff he supplies for these cars. I look forward to meeting him in person one day.

Picked up the last of the stainless trim from the polisher this morning. Hopefully, the painter will be finished with the painting this week or next, then installation will start on all the chrome and stainless parts.

DESOTO WORK 046.jpgDESOTO WORK 047.jpgDESOTO WORK 048.jpgDESOTO WORK 049.jpgDESOTO WORK 050.jpg

DESOTO WORK 046.jpg

DESOTO WORK 047.jpg

DESOTO WORK 048.jpg

DESOTO WORK 049.jpg

DESOTO WORK 050.jpg

Car has been primered and long block sanded. Presently applying seam sealer in the drip rails and other areas on the body. The doors, hood, trunk lid, plus a number of smaller pieces have been painted and clear coated. The main body will be painted with the color coat and clear coats next week and then wet sanded and buffed along with the other parts that have already been painted.

desoto work 052.jpgdesoto work 053.jpgdesoto work 055.jpgdesoto work 057.jpgdesoto work 060.jpgdesoto work 062.jpgdesoto work 063.jpgdesoto work 066.jpg

desoto work 052.jpg

desoto work 053.jpg

desoto work 055.jpg

desoto work 057.jpg

desoto work 060.jpg

desoto work 062.jpg

desoto work 063.jpg

desoto work 066.jpg

Coming along! Sweet!!! Question of caution: Are you worried the doors, deck lid and hood will be different hues than the body being as they weren't all painted at the same time? I know gun pressures, application technique and ambient conditions can slightly change the hue of the color.

Back