New member with a new to me 58

split51

Reaction score
image.jpg
I just pick up the 58 Belvedere on Wednesday and registered here today. It has a decent body with several patches ,some rusted areas and a very orange peal paint job. The interior is done in red and silver vinyl, again, just a decent driver quality It currently has a thoaty sounding 1968 440/auto in it with 2 1/2" duals. My plans are to clean it up as much as possible and find the parts I am missing.
I have an opportunity to get a GC 350 complete from air cleaners to oil pan. It is a nice original engine. My question is, what is the engine worth and how hard is the trans and the shift cables to find?
Here is a pic of it. It has 14" Cragar Pro Stars mags on it but I popped the peak hubcaps over them. I do have all 4 bumper wings but am missing the rear bumper.
The car was originally gold, then painted red and white and now black. It takes a better pic then it actually is.

Last edited:
Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice find you have there, more pics please.
Two questions, what's a GC 350 and if the original drivetrain is gone and somebody else has already put in the best Ma Mopar had to offer than why change it?? I know how I would answer that, I just want to hear your answer.

Great car and a great find. I really like that you're taking it back to original. I don't know much about forward look cars but I'm guessing more parts are reproduced for them then the C bodies. Hopefully some of the forward look guys can help you out.

I'm sure the 440 could go a long way to finance many of the parts your looking for. Good Luck.

Welcome to the site from the Motor City! Nice find you have there, more pics please.
Two questions, what's a GC 350 and if the original drivetrain is gone and somebody else has already put in the best Ma Mopar had to offer than why change it?? I know how I would answer that, I just want to hear your answer.
GC 350 is short for Golden Commando 350. It's the first B block produced. It came standard in the 1958 Fury and was optional for the rest of the Plymouth line.

I had the 350 part I just couldn't think of the GC. Now I know.

View attachment 76305 I just pick up the 58 Belvedere on Wednesday and registered here today. It has a decent body with several patches ,some rusted areas and a very orange peal paint job. The interior is done in red and silver vinyl, again, just a decent driver quality It currently has a thoaty sounding 1968 440/auto in it with 2 1/2" duals. My plans are to clean it up as much as possible and find the parts I am missing.
I have an opportunity to get a GC 350 complete from air cleaners to oil pan. It is a nice original engine. My question is, what is the engine worth and how hard is the trans and the shift cables to find?
Here is a pic of it. It has 14" Cragar Pro Stars mags on it but I popped the peak hubcaps over them. I do have all 4 bumper wings but am missing the rear bumper.
The car was originally gold, then painted red and white and now black. It takes a better pic then it actually is.
Nice car! A complete GC with carbs and oval air cleaners is very desirable/valuable. I don't follow them enough to offer a current market price. New transmission cables are available from Imperial Services. The transmission itself is fairly common as any 57-61 transmission with a big block bellhousing will work. Depending on your personal goals, I would leave the 440 and add the dual carbs. You can get a conversion cable kit for the current 727 to make the push buttons work with it. Or, you could find a '62 727 trans that will bolt to the 440 and still use the push button shifter.

[QUOTE="split51, post:
.[/QUOTE]

:welcome:
Very nice find. The Golden Commando 350 was the first version of the big block and a 1958 only engine. It came standard with dual 4bbls and was available in any Plymouth body style. Since you asked, GET IT, dump the 440, it will do wonders for the value of your vehicle. (There were no special VIN engine codes aside from 6 or V8).
I know of a fresh 1958 Torqueflight trans that is available.
A bumper shouldn't be to hard to locate. As for the bumper ends.... You could probably sell them for enough money to buy the 350 engine and trans, there very sought after. They look great on the Furys but not do nice on the Plaza, Savoy and Belvedere.
Nice find, brings back fond memories of my 58 Savoy sport coupe.

Nice car! Good luck with the Golden Commando,those are tought to find.
Any interior pics of the Belvedere? Does it still have the original push button shifter?

image.jpg
Here are some more pics. The wiring has several issues but the car came with a new painless wire kit. It has a 300 steering wheel and the front brakes are from a 58 or 59 300.
It currently has a floor shift but I want to use the push buttons.
Question: Other then lenses, is there any bezels or cups missing on the tail lights?

Last edited:
Cool! You even got a set of front and rear bumper wings with it! how many pushbuttons are on your shifter? If it's a 2 speed powerflite it will have 4 buttons,R,N,D & L,if ithey was a torqueflite 3 speed auto it will have five with the last two being "1" & "2".

It is for a three speed. 3 buttons on top. (Reverse, neutral and drive.). 2 buttons on bottom. (1 and 2)

[QUOTE="split51,
Question: Other then lenses, is there any bezels or cups missing on the tail lights?[/QUOTE]
The OEM tail light lenses have a chrome ring at the base where they mount. One piece.

Back