Newbie to the forum. we have a 66 Fury

joetrike13

Reaction score
hello everyone. im new to the forum. and i have some questions. ilene is leaking oil out of the side of the motor passenger side. Was oil and coolant mix leak. Going to work on figuring out where the leak is. was told possible head gasket which the temp never got hot. I know the motor is tired. has 89,000 miles and burns oil well was i thought till i saw a puddle under it when my fiance was driving it the other night. any help or ideals to check. i build Old VW engines. would a 360 swap be better, i have a 360 lined up if its the head gasket. id rather buy a good long block if its head gasket. i don't have the time or budget to rebuild the 318 poly as this one is gutless. which might be my fault for putting a taller tire on the rear with the 2.73 gear. but it was gutless when it had smaller tires.

Welcome from Wisconsin. Good luck with your project. Valuable resources here that's for sure. A wealth of knowledge and a little b.s thrown in for good measure...lol

If you decide to use the LA you do know you neede a torque converter for a 360 as it is the balancer. And I dunno if it will fit on the old tranny.
And I dont know if the motor mounts are compatible. Brackets, mountig points and the like.
One of our more knowledgeable members will be along and tell us.
You might have two problems on the old A. Valve cover gqsket for the oil leak and a heater hose or freeze plug for the coolant leak. Please dont put any stop leak in it.
Good luck and welcome!

Welcome!
Sounds like that Poly is tired.
I think they were 250ish stock, they would motivate a 3500 lb car (had a 64 B body with one) pretty well,though not a stoplight bruiser.
That gear does not help for sure.
Maybe try to isolate where the leaks are coming from, if you can fix them, dump a can of restore in it, and run it a while more, and save up for an engine swap or rebuild.

Back