Pabst Brewery and Mansion

Most people don't know that one of the original Soldier's Homes was built in Milwaukee shortly after the Civil War ended. A lot of wounded Soldiers were treated and recovered there. Buildings were added all the way into the 1880's.

The buildings are still there and there is a huge VA hospital still in operation on the grounds.

https://www.savethesoldiershome.com...e-the-Soldiers-Home-Takes-Major-Steps-Forward

Most people don't know that one of the original Soldier's Homes was built in Milwaukee shortly after the Civil War ended. A lot of wounded Soldiers were treated and recovered there. Buildings were added all the way into the 1880's.

The buildings are still there and there is a huge VA hospital still in operation on the grounds.

https://www.savethesoldiershome.com...e-the-Soldiers-Home-Takes-Major-Steps-Forward

Those are remarkable buildings if they all resemble the one shown. To think that they are nearly 140 years old and still standing, much less still looking fascinating, is a real accomlishment for some very creative architects back then. I am glad the city wants to rennovate them. It has a great handle on preserving a big part of our past culture. Bravo for them.

I really like seeing those buildings. What grand architecture and craftsmanship back in those days especially in Milwaukee.

Thanks. There are so many surviving buildings and homes all over Milwaukee. I wish I could run a drone over Lake Shore Drive in Milwaukee to show you the miles and miles of mansions still standing that were built by the barons of Milwaukee from 1880 until the turn of the century.

Thanks. There are so many surviving buildings and homes all over Milwaukee. I wish I could run a drone over Lake Shore Drive in Milwaukee to show you the miles and miles of mansions still standing that were built by the barons of Milwaukee from 1880 until the turn of the century.

I really want to take a tour of Milwaukee before I leave this planet. And the insides of some of those buildings too. What a time that must have been for such creativity and capability - all with pretty crude equipment compared to what is available today. Actually, incredible to me at least.

I really want to take a tour of Milwaukee before I leave this planet. And the insides of some of those buildings too. What a time that must have been for such creativity and capability - all with pretty crude equipment compared to what is available today. Actually, incredible to me at least.

Yep, no power tools or cranes back then.

There is a lot to see in Milwaukee too.

Look up Summerfest. It's the worlds biggest music festival in the world. It last for 2 weeks every year around the end of June through the first week of July and it's right on the shore of Lake Michigan. They also use that site for about a dozen different ethnic weekend celebrations through out the spring, summer and fall. German fest, Polishfest, Bastille Days, Rainbow day or whatever they call it, they use to have Afrofest but it got so out of control with crime and mayhem that they don't do that one anymore.

Milwaukee County Zoo, Harley Davidson Museum, Natural history Museum, world class parks designed by Frederick Law Olmstead, Mitchell Park Conservatory, Pabst and Miller Brewery tours, Pabst Mansion tour. Miller Park and the Milwaukee Mile. Riverwalk area. I could go on and on.

Also have a world class 4th of July fireworks display that they shoot off barges in Lake Michigan. Over a million people come to that show. Look up Milwaukee Circus Parade. They don't do it anymore but I'm sure you can see it on you tube. Worth watching.

Plus there are thousands of bars and taverns in Milwaukee. The bars and taverns could have their own phone book in Milwaukee.

Plus there are thousands of bars and taverns in Milwaukee. The bars and taverns could have their own phone book in Milwaukee.
Many years back I heard an interesting stat, Milwaukee had the highest alchohol consumption rate per capita, while also having the lowest rate of cirrhosis of the liver.

FB_IMG_1545351539954.jpg

Back