Picked up new rearend today!

jake

Reaction score
I found a great deal on a 3rd member today with the borg warner sure grip. I know the disadvantages of them but could not pass up the deal. Anybody running with one, and if so is it holding up?

Did you mean the Auburn style sure grip? Not the ones with the clutches...but the one with the metal cones?

I rebuilt one of my old Auburn style suregrip units a couple years ago. Ben working great in the wagon ever since.

Correct the one with the cones, did you lathe the cone out on the rebuild?

Yup you machine down the end of the cones so that they don't bottom out anymore. Then you have to figure out what size shim you need to set up the gear lash properly between the spider gears and case gears? The shim needs to be made out of stainless steel. All in all maybe cost me a $100 to rebuild it. Then another few hundred to get it swapped into my 489 case with 3.23's...and new bearings etc.

I could not be any happier then I am right now. My 8 3/4 came today, because of the cheap price,I bought it with 2 pics and a couple of questions, usually something I do not do. I could not tell from the pics, and asked him if it was clutch or cone, he told me cone. It is a near perfect clutch sure grip with looks to be brand new gears!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:yaayy:

Lucky dog contacts. T.C. you put shim in between cone and the splined Axel gears right? I am going to try this on a worn out unit I have.

Lucky dog contacts. T.C. you put shim in between cone and the splined Axel gears right? I am going to try this on a worn out unit I have.

Yes that is where the shim goes.

I used washers of vary thicknesses to figure out what thickness of Stainless I needed. Use 3 or 4 washer and assemble things...then check the end play. You can get p[pretty darn close if you have the machinest tell you how much material he removed. I had about 60 though removed to clean things up...and I needed a 60 thou shim...so maybe ???

I used an old Mopar Action mag article as my build guide. Worked very well.

Back