Polishing scratches out of windows

Reaction score
Does anyone here has some experience polishing scratches out of the windows of his car?

I own a 72 Imperial LeBaron 2-dr ht and especially the window from the driver’s door has some scratches (but also the back window). I know it is possible for modern glass to polish it, but I’m scared I’m going to damage my 72 windows. Any suggestions?

Patrick

Does anyone here has some experience polishing scratches out of the windows of his car?

I own a 72 Imperial LeBaron 2-dr ht and especially the window from the driver’s door has some scratches (but also the back window). I know it is possible for modern glass to polish it, but I’m scared I’m going to damage my 72 windows. Any suggestions?

Patrick
I was looking for how to glue your convertible rear window back in, (can’t be done), on YouTube and there are tons of how to unscratch your glass videos. From what I saw I’d hire somebody. Think color sanding paint but it has to be perfect so you can see thru it. Lots and lots of work if you’re learning how. Check it out on the tube. Good Luck and throw up some pics when you get a chance.

Thanks ed

Just remember that when you polish out scratches, you're not really removing the scratches, you're just removing the surrounding surface down to the level of the bottom of the scratch. Just like polishing out scratches in paint.

Next time it rains, you'll probably find the "low spot" in the glass from all of the polishing.

The other thing is that you want to minimize the heat buildup from the polishing operation, lest the glass crack or otherwise.

Good luck,
CBODY67

Just remember that when you polish out scratches, you're not really removing the scratches, you're just removing the surrounding surface down to the level of the bottom of the scratch. Just like polishing out scratches in paint.

Next time it rains, you'll probably find the "low spot" in the glass from all of the polishing.

The other thing is that you want to minimize the heat buildup from the polishing operation, lest the glass crack or otherwise.

Good luck,
CBODY67
Glass company scratched my new window during install came out the next day to “buff” it out. It was right in the line of sight or I wouldn’t have complained. When he was done the divot was so distorted it was crazy. They put a new one in the next day. Felt bad for the install guy. Scratch distorted polish job then a new windshield. Looked great got the ‘66 Dart gasket right and everything. Too bad he tore my headliner apart from the outside didn’t notice till he left. The distortion pics from behind the wheel saved me...

Back