pulsating 383 engine

jct

Reaction score
from start to idle to highway speeds my engine pulsates, think it might be a bad condenser(s) timing is set at 10btdc

both, it has done it before changed the dist with a reman cardone unit (points)

the vacuum gauge is on the list of things to buy...

the leak could be in the cab... oh joyous times but that one is easy to test...

If you have a propane torch like for plumbing solder, turn it on unlit wave it around all gaskets fittings ect. When the engine surges or runs better there is your leak.

If you have a propane torch like for plumbing solder, turn it on unlit wave it around all gaskets fittings ect. When the engine surges or runs better there is your leak.
That's a good safe method for finding a vac leak.

i found that video that stated that on youtubers but he did it the unsafeway like a normal person would...

So spraying highly flammable starting fluid or any other flammable liquid all over a hot engine is safe? If you manage to blow yourself up with a soldering torch you are a idiot.

If you want to burn the car to the ground I would highly suggest spraying starting fluid at it. Forget about the fact that it probably makes for a decent paint stripper too.

The starting fluid method will also help determine if there is worn or cracked insulation on your spark plug wires. Just remember to keep a pack of hotdogs on hand.

spark plugs and wires are new...

going to be testing this a couple weeks :-\

Mopar makes a combustion chamber cleaner that comes in a spray can. I works very well to detect leaks and is less volatile. Same procedure simply spray it around the areas that are susceptible to leaking and if the engine speeds up you have found it.

You can also cup your hands (palms down, of course) and put them over the throat if the carburetor, loosely at first, then more restrictively, to see how the motor responds. If the motor is sucking in air from somewhere else (as in the case of a vacuum leak), the idle will stabilize and/or increase. This will tell you whether or not you have a vacuum leak in the first place. Finding it afterwards should not be difficult with the carburetor cleaner method.

I agree that using propane would be a much safer way to go but I've used starter fluid on numerous occasions to track down vacuum leaks and never started a fire or blew myself up. It is extremely unlikely that spraying ether on a hot engine surface will cause it to combust. The most likely causes of engine fires using this method would spraying starter fluid on a cracked distributor cap or plug wires with worn insulation or if you're doing this test on an engine that is backfiring and shooting flames out of the carburetor.

Starting fluid is for mounting tires and moving dead F.I. cars that need pulled in garage for new fuel pump.
:campfire::fit:

Back