pulsating 383 engine

The question is how do you know you don't have a condition that will start a fire prior to spaying highly flammable liquid all over it?

You're right you know. Hey what does rumpfox mean anyway?

carb cleaner fill do the same as the propane

Modern carb cleaner does not burn at all so that may be a good alternative. Spray it around the gaskets and when the car shuts off you found your leak, then throw the rest of the can away because it certainly will not clean anything.

tested around the normal areas no leaks found. will do further testing sunday

4805F-1.jpg
tested around the normal areas no leaks found. will do further testing sunday
A set of vacuum caps might help isolate a leak. I had a bad diaphragm in a brand new Proform distributor that drove me nuts trying to track down. A vacuum gauge will definitely be of great help and they are fairly inexpensive.If no leaks are found then the next step would be to do a compression test

4805F-1.jpg

The question is how do you know you don't have a condition that will start a fire prior to spaying highly flammable liquid all over it?
You don't want to douse the entire engine with starter fluid or carb cleaner when checking for leaks. You use the plastic straw that comes with the can to avoid any overspray and use only small amounts in the suspected areas. Avoid spraying too close to the distributor and wires. If by chance a fire does occur it will not cause your entire car burst into flames like the Hindenburg and burn to the ground within a matter of seconds. Most likely any fires that occur will remain isolated and burn themselves out within a few seconds. Its always good to keep a fire extinguisher or a pack of ballpark franks around in the rare case that a fire might get out of hand.

At one point it was suggested to spray a potentially flammable liquid on a running engine to an Internet full of people that just might do it. I just thought that might not be the best way to go about it when safer methods are readily available.

There are usually one or two connections to the intake you can pop them off and eliminate the whole dash in one check.

i'm way ahead on you on that one, just have to wait till tomorrow to test drive it. will let you know

Good, I am also thinking your distributor vacuum advance may be over reacting. Is the dist. new or reman? You might have too much advance with the vacuum you can clam this down with a 3/32 allen wrench through the nipple turn ccw to slow it down/limit. Just a thought.

It may be in that vacuum advance canister, since the vacuum leak does not look likely. A 3/32 alllen wrench inserted in nipple turned ccw will slow it down.

no change from about 35 to highway speeds.

still need to do a compression test and stick it on the scope

Modern carb cleaner does not burn at all so that may be a good alternative. Spray it around the gaskets and when the car shuts off you found your leak, then throw the rest of the can away because it certainly will not clean anything.
I always use carb cleaner for testing for vacuum leaks, never starting fluid

Back