pulsating 383 engine

When you say pulsating are you at a steady throttle or accelerating? What is the idle like? Normal or rough?

i wasn't counting how many turns i did O_O it was around that many turns when i did it, but i turned it back some, now i have a momentary dead spot when i'm accelerating at low speed right where the back firing would be... so i did something right... with all that

i wasn't counting how many turns i did O_O it was around that many turns when i did it, but i turned it back some, now i have a momentary dead spot when i'm accelerating at low speed right where the back firing would be... so i did something right... with all that

Sounds like your on the right track and still sounds like a lean condition in the carb.

I have often considered a smoke machine for issues like this, you would have to disable the engine fan though

Engine is not running when using a smoke machine so no use in disabling anything.

cardone reman,

I purchased a Cardone reman dist decided to check the vacuum advance before installing and diaphragm was ruptured right out of the box. Seems like this is an ongoing issue with their product.

Modern carb cleaner does not burn at all so that may be a good alternative. Spray it around the gaskets and when the car shuts off you found your leak, then throw the rest of the can away because it certainly will not clean anything.

This is thanks to PA's wonderful environmental regulations. The trick is to buy some while you're traveling out of state.

I had a similar issue and it turned out that the stud for the air cleaner was not completely seated so when the air cleaner top was tightened it pulled up the carburetor enough to cause a leak around the bottom of the carb. When I screwed the stud in (I guess it may go all the way to the intake) it solved my problem. Check your carb gasket and/or if your carb is seating flush.

replaced the condenser seemed to help a bit. (as you guys said before, sub quality manufacturing of parts) maybe it's in my head? idk and it's just par for the course. my acceleration is strong as it should be

I had a similar issue and it turned out that the stud for the air cleaner was not completely seated so when the air cleaner top was tightened it pulled up the carburetor enough to cause a leak around the bottom of the carb. When I screwed the stud in (I guess it may go all the way to the intake) it solved my problem. Check your carb gasket and/or if your carb is seating flush.
What?

I believe he means the 4 carb base mount bolts or studs and nuts are loose. Still don't understand how tightening the air cleaner top/stud effects anything at the base of the carb?

did you put a vacuum gauge on it yet? that should tell you everything you need to know.

still haven't bought one yet, lack of funds, bills and other unexpected things popping up

If you have a propane torch like for plumbing solder, turn it on unlit wave it around all gaskets fittings ect. When the engine surges or runs better there is your leak.

Its actually a poor mans version of the much more expensive and obsolete propane enrichment kit in my toolbox. BOTH tools require some amount of respect/logical thought process.... watch out for what happens if you let it build around the distributor, coil or old wires. In fact just had a Bosch factory trainer talk about using his propane kit to find vacuum leaks as superior to the also very expensive smoke machine a few days ago.

That said... send us the after pics of your eyebrows

Back