Rear suspension options

GooBak

Reaction score
Ok, I'm new to the forums, and im a car guy, not brand loyal for the most part, but ive got a thing for cadillacs and c-bodies, especially the New Yorker and Newport. My real question here is about rear suspension options. I ve spent many hours trying to find a kit to swap the leaf springs for either a torque arm system OR a triangulated 4 link. I found a kit for the 4 link (cant remember where) but for B bodies. Im sure it can be modified to fit, but its all bolt on and I don't trust it. I really want to do the torque arm thing, but theres (obviously) no kits for a C body, and you just about need a degree in mechanical engineering to make them work right. I know the leaves do just fine in most situations. Im mostly looking for something different, that would surprise people between lights(so to speak), and wouldn't be a bad joke on an autocross or road course. Any suggestions?

Wanted to say that I don't street race, but we do like a good blast from standstill to 55 MPH, which is the speed limit out in the country where I live

Welcome aboard. Pics of your NYr and Newport would be appreciated. Can't answer your question but we do have engineers on this board that might help. Stan?

I don't actually have either one yet... ive been saving for a few years and settled on a C body, but I live in Michigan a im not gonna buy one around here, too much rust. So now I have to save for a plane ticket and several (hundred) gallons of gas to get it home. I wanted to plan it all out in advance...

I just want an idea of what to expect... all the torque arms ive seen have been on relatively lightweight vehicles with a much shorter wheelbase, although I know some guys use them for drag racing, so im sure the strength is there. I guess the main thing is that I intend to do all the work myself, including fabrication

that's what we're doing right??

4732634017_6f8c36d263_b.jpg

4732634017_6f8c36d263_b.jpg

XHD shocks and sway bars. All you need for Auto crossing a leaf spring car.
We aint talking The Dakaar Rallye here.

4 link IRS with blah blah blah.... That's stupid talk.
Instead of coming in with all these crazed illusions of a LeMans Porsche with a New Yorker body....

Meanwhile, the interior needs a headliner, the engine needs a rear main seal, the heater core is bypassed because it leaks... :soapbox:

Meanwhile, the interior needs a headliner, the engine needs a rear main seal, the heater core is bypassed because it leaks... :soapbox:

Wow. That hits close to home. My main seal leaks, and my heater is always on because the Auto Temp doesn't work. I sure am glad I spent my weekend fixing functional stuff, rather than bolting on chrome valve covers. I'd never get to come back.

:icon_lol:

Ok if im not mistaken, caltracs aren't needed with mopar leaf springs, right? cant remember where I pick that up so im not positive. And I don't want a Porsche new Yorker, even if the engine would fit in the trunk. Im a welder by trade, and a car guy at heart, so the idea is that I can point at the 4 link or torque arm and say "I did that." I think most people are just afraid of getting it wrong. Im not. if its wrong, ill do it again till its right.

unfortunately my internet sucks so... no youtube... I may just be unfairly biased against leaf springs from my high school years driving a series of lifted K 20s. I'd also like to run shockwaves out back, which I didn't mention.

Hi there, we have a 4 link with panhard bar on our fury III, hooked up to airbags, altho could easily convert to coilovers, quite a bit of work, a lot of reinforcing in places. since this photo about 7+ years ago, the mount to the panhard failed, it was then double gusseted and havnt had a problem since

need to run very heavy duty shocks in rear to control the bounce airbags have, we now run rancho adjustables

George, your fury is now my desktop background. That is a gorgeous car

Back