Ruined 489 case

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
5C5BB01E-C247-4E86-9BAF-0CF9A76E0CF8.jpeg
EFDC6B0B-950E-4718-B920-1CE41C040229.jpeg
I got this 489 case from a friend. It has a 3.55 sure grip in it. He told me he had rebuilt the sure grip unit & put new bearing in the housing. Ran it about 20 thousand miles in a work truck. He said the carrier bearing froze up. So I took it apart expecting to just replace the carrier bearings & use in the next project that I need it for. Took the sure grip unit out & the bearings are good. The pinion was froze. Oh boy that’s not good. I finally got the pinion to press out & the rollers from the front bearing spilled out. Took the housing over to the work bench & beat on the bearing cone with a punch until it finally came out. And look at the race. It’s not budging. I think it’s welded itself to the housing. The rollers left embedded marks in the race. The pinion shaft looks ok so I will transfer all that & the sure grip & gears to another 489 open case.

A few cheap #2 cases and gears on the Detroit c'list.
Too bad, that 3.55 is for a #9 case!!!

I would be getting a my dremmel and a bunch of small 1/16" cutting blades and get cutting at the frozen race, cut through as far as you can in 2-3 spots then use a small chisel/punch and tap the cut lines and it should crack the rest of the way through the race, then it will probably be loosened enough to beat it out with a brass drift/punch .....it will come out with a bit of work. ;)

Here's a trick to try, weld a bead on the race, it will shrink it, then pound it out.

Back