Rust removal on my 66 Polara

looks great. curious if you are spot welding the perimeter and across the braces or if it is all bonded?

Good question, I am welding the braces underneath onto the side rails as well as using 1/4" 3/8" hex head self drilling screws on the top of the rails.

Last edited:
So about a month has gone by & I have been busy with mostly cleaning and painting.

I gave up on trying to save the rear hump of the trunk floor coming over the rear axle and took a road trip to get the new to me trunk floor which I have been busy this past weekend cleaning up.

haven't got any pics today but will take some tonight

ok here's some pictures!
The one shows the worst pitting but no rust through..

IMG_0473.JPG

IMG_0471.JPG

IMG_0469.JPG

IMG_0472.JPG

Nice you are getting after it. You are doing a first class job, enjoying the progress.

I decided to take a bit of a break from the body work and started in on the cleaning up and resealing of the differential the past few days

I also had the new spring perches welded up at work.
The main concern I had was that the center spring bolt holes were larger than the factory size and fortunately we have a great machine shop that made a pair of sleeves to tighten the hole up

Overall considering I used a wire wheel and some good ole' elbow grease this is turned out rather nicely..

IMG_0586.JPG

IMG_0587.JPG

IMG_0590.JPG

IMG_0595.JPG

IMG_0602.JPG

IMG_0606.JPG

Last edited:
I shoe horned the trunk pan into place tonight. I had to drop the wheel wells out in order to do that.
I am totally blown away how the spot welds line up for most of the frame work.
This pan came from a 66 Polara 4dr in NC and the rear frame rail out of a 65 FURY 2dr in Arizona!

IMG_0645.JPG

IMG_0648.JPG

IMG_0649.JPG

Looking real good!! Great how the trunk floor fell right into place. Rear end looks great! I know how fun it is cleaning em. Just got done with mine.

Looking real good!! Great how the trunk floor fell right into place. Rear end looks great! I know how fun it is cleaning em. Just got done with mine.

I agree about the freshly painted look but that floor didn't fall into place :D
There was a lot of pushin' and shovin' going on with a bit of foul language involved ! LOL!!!:rofl:

I agree about the freshly painted look but that floor didn't fall into place :D
There was a lot of pushin' and shovin' going on with a bit of foul language involved ! LOL!!!:rofl:
Every tech I know has a few "magic words" he utters to help the job go more smoothly... I have many occasions I break out the entire vocabulary.

Consider to use a welding primer between the parts for further rust protection while you're at it that deep.

looks great. curious if you are spot welding the perimeter and across the braces or if it is all bonded?

I ended up spot welding this into place since I had to pull the frame into alignment with the body 1/2".
I didn't want to take any chances on the glue coming loose even with 3M claiming it never will

I have a bunch of other pieces to glue in though

So can you explain again how this won't be a show car when you are finished? There isn't a car judge in existence (except maybe on this board) who knows his *** from a hole in the ground when it comes to our cars. Phenomenal work you are doing. :thumbsup:

Thanks Frat.
The car honestly is going to be a great cruising machine but it isn't going to win any trophies anymore until I do a complete exterior make over and that is out of the near future budget.
I have a driveway to do, a new front deck/porch, new shed in the back yard...

BTW, You never have made the trip to see the car yet have you... I didn't think so.:rolleyes:
Although you may want to wait until the car is done since the rest of it is covered in dust!:lol:
Even with all the blankets I have on it.

I started in on reinstalling the wheel wells this morning
They are still a bit Frankenstienish looking but functional

Also replaced the rear trunk valance

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Back