Scenicruisin'..?

I agree, keep ALL the windows and retain the original look on the outside. You can always build over them or just replace the glass with privacy glass.

Alan

Thanks.

s-l1600-jpg-jpg.jpg
I will post pics of the whole thing .. probably will take 2-3 years before its done.
I'll be glued to this channel.

Are we done yet?
800px-London_Bus_Museum_Transportfest_2013_019_%2810383698196%29.jpg

Here's the look I am after .. like a "silver bullet".

May change mind in 2 years, but I also wanna go with grey/"greyhound blue" accents interior (Whisperer's wife has neat ideas cuz I dont know crap about that really). Lobbying the Whisperer hard to let me keep ALL windows - gotta get "creative" tho ... sometime late next year/early 2020 after mechanicals get done.

Hoping to keep a clean roof look .. no AC units roof mounted. Whisperer frowns at that idea ... :(

Comment away, but EZ with the "rocks" ok? :)

The older bus in second photo for my inspiration - I like "Silverside" cousins/contemporaries of PD-4501. Yes, RWL tires on a big truck (i know, just ticked everybody off but if i dont like it as much as I think, i'll flip 'em around and keep on bussin') :)

Capture27B.jpg
Capture27A.jpg
Capture27C.jpg

I believe the area below the windows, where the Greyhound lettering is, is steel... so there will be paint there, not that you could go wrong keeping her stockish looking.

I am in agreement with the Whisperer... NO roof top A/C. Here is something to look into which should be somewhat close in price to roof top units... investigate the available "split A/C systems" and see if there is anything that doesn't offend you aesthetically.

If you decide to go with an ducted high dollar system, pay close attention that condensation is controlled effectively. As I understand it, that is the biggest source of long term problems ducting cool air through a metal body, and seems to be overlooked on many builds.

If it were me, I'd also consider leaving it a functional window, that could open behind the toilet... never discount the benefit of airing out the head when living in small spaces... I'd look at building the shower stall offset from the wall a little and create a shadow box of sorts to help hid the part that is blocked.

I believe the area below the windows, where the Greyhound lettering is, is steel... so there will be paint there, not that you could go wrong keeping her stockish looking.

I am in agreement with the Whisperer... NO roof top A/C. Here is something to look into which should be somewhat close in price to roof top units... investigate the available "split A/C systems" and see if there is anything that doesn't offend you aesthetically.

If you decide to go with an ducted high dollar system, pay close attention that condensation is controlled effectively. As I understand it, that is the biggest source of long term problems ducting cool air through a metal body, and seems to be overlooked on many builds.

If it were me, I'd also consider leaving it a functional window, that could open behind the toilet... never discount the benefit of airing out the head when living in small spaces... I'd look at building the shower stall offset from the wall a little and create a shadow box of sorts to help hid the part that is blocked.

Re read the AC paragraph Jeff...

Here's the look I am after .. like a "silver bullet".

May change mind in 2 years, but I also wanna go with grey/"greyhound blue" accents interior (Whisperer's wife has neat ideas cuz I dont know crap about that really). Lobbying the Whisperer hard to let me keep ALL windows - gotta get "creative" tho ... sometime late next year/early 2020 after mechanicals get done.

Hoping to keep a clean roof look .. no AC units roof mounted. Whisperer frowns at that idea ... :(

Comment away, but EZ with the "rocks" ok? :)

The older bus in second photo for my inspiration - I like "Silverside" cousins/contemporaries of PD-4501. Yes, RWL tires on a big truck (i know, just ticked everybody off but if i dont like it as much as I think, i'll flip 'em around and keep on bussin') :)

View attachment 238126 View attachment 238125 View attachment 238127

Ray, I love the ideas ... I'm anxious to watch you spend your money

yeah man ... shell is all stainless steel tho even under the paint, i believe it'll clean up NOT to a driver distracting mirror finish but shiny enough, then cleared to fight off oxidation/etc.

A split AC system would have a roof mounted conderser i think, BUT it would be "low profile". Whisperer says RV "compartmentalization" impedes air flow through the coach to a degree that was NOT the case with seats in it (plus passengers could always open a window). So, TWO units, maybe three, are going on the roof in his view ---- but I havent given up yet. He's with you 200% on ducted/condensate thing .. on top of the cost!

yes, a strategically placed window that can aerate the "head" .. great idea. As we age, all kinda sounds and smells can permeate an enclosed space :)

Congratulations. Nice to see a plan coming together. I'll be monitoring with interest and hoping that you can maintain as much of the original look on the outside as possible.

Congratulations. Nice to see a plan coming together. I'll be monitoring with interest and hoping that you can maintain as much of the original look on the outside as possible.

thanks boss.

Capture27D.jpg

There were around 1,000 (1,001 exactly) built, maybe 100-150 left in the world, no more ever to be built.

this stuff is earlier in the thread, but will put here again:

Specifications
Length: 40 feet (12.19 m)
Width: 96 inches (2,438 mm)
Height: 134 inches (3,404 mm)
Wheelbase: 261 inches (6,629 mm)
Turn radius: 45 feet (13.72 m)​
Powerplant:
1954: 2x GM Diesel 4-71 engine
1961-62 repowering: 1x Detroit Diesel 8V-71 engine
Transmission: manual, Spicer, 3-speed with 2-speed splitter originally (6 speeds altogether), Spicer 4-speed after repowering​
Fuel Tank: 180 US gallons (150 imp gal; 680 L).
Seats: 10 on lower level, 33 on upper level. Total 43 seats
Luggage: 344 cu ft (9.7 m3).
Aisle width: 14 inches (356 mm)
Front door width: 26 inches (660 mm)
Again, now the fun starts. :)

I'm sorry, in all the excitement, I lost track on the a.c. This bus was not equipped with a.c., or it has been removed?

And... .
Wouldn't rooftop units put it over 13'6". And you wouldn't want those units on the lower front roof for all the upper deck passengers to see.

I have some old ball, seat 22.5" Alcoas with round holes. I'm guessing it has old style hubs on it. I'm pretty sure I still have all 10. Let me know but be do not be in a hurry I'll have to reclaim them from the junk pile.

Back