Scenicruisin'..?

yes, its a fabrication and welding problem.

its appears this bus was never experiencing "cracks" while in service. OR did but were unrepaired. No evidence of repairs when i bought it.

I cannot untangle this .. conflicting stories out there .. when the powertrain retrofits were done in early 60's, some buses also had cracking. word is while ALL got inspected, only some were "remediated" for cracks at that time. No records available, it seems, by serial number, of what bus got what, when, during or after the powertrain deal.

Greyhound used them after powertrain retrofit for another decade. over that time some did crack. the fix was welding metal plates, behind the monocoque skin and on the "frame rails (wrong term, but monocoque guys know the right term for the innards) above the rear wheels and around the last two banks of upper deck windows.

View attachment 349650

Fifty+ year old mystery aside, its easy to do during a refurb like mine, relatively speaking, cuz you gotta do it from the inside. The insides are torn out anyway. still takes a bit of skill but Whisperer says be calm ... unless those frame rail thingies have issues (rare, but a giant pain if so cuz then your into messin' with the skin of the coach)

Onward undaunted... :) for now.
All things considered... It would probably have been wise to plate in those areas anyhow. Since the common locations are so well known, I do like that your bus was apparently able to last so long without the work. I wonder if that might be an indicator of better stress relieving during assembly of the frame and skin? I would tend to agree with not messing with the skin if possible, that would likely undo any advantage of starting crack free.

more of the story

tray didnt go back in as smoothly as it came out. guys straightened it, made minor mod for Allison, "dropped a shim block(?)", etc. and wedged it going in.

twist this and turn that, in and out (i stopped listening cuz i wasnt following the narrative) so i concluded the R&R was at least partially to blame.

my guys are great ... i am learning that unless your an excellent DIYer, or like me have long time good buds with skills, you dont try this at "shop rates" without a fat wallet

Aint dissin shops! these folks are skilled and are worth every penny ... but the economics of ths kinda HD vehicle work favors commercial vehicles that make money for their owners investments. Not necessarily weekend warriors chasing childhood dreams like me.

anyway like Jeff said, she held up pretty good for 65 years. reinforce now and she'll party on long after i have turned to dust :)

Ok. Now I can understand wth you bus-niks are talking about.
Nice series on YouTube.

So the one you found would be a inline 6v71 and V-drive compact driveline (mounted sideways)... imagine a much bigger bay originally made to accommodate twin 4v53's and some funky coupling to the T-drive transmission... and then housing an 8v71 and T-drive longitudinally...

I wish I had the ability to take a few weeks and go hand tools to Ray's team as they do this... that bus is just too cool. Hey, how far from Carlisle will she be in July? I would seriously consider a side trip just to rub up against her for a little while.

Hey, how far from Carlisle will she be in July? I would seriously consider a side trip just to rub up against her for a little while.

Messina NY (roughly) for electrical/satellite/internet fitment. thats gotta be 400 miles from Carlisle or so. Careful rubbin' up against her .. she'll pick your pocket of any loose change :)

Ford 1.jpg
Ford 2.jpg

Oh give me a home ...:)

January 2020 i did buy a parts bus .. it was 1990 MCI wreck. i got 20kW gen set, digital and analog electronics, sanitary, furniture, etc. for PD4501,. im on a budget or that thing coulda drowned me

5 j.png

yup, that is the southerly latitudes. :)

Back