Scenicruisin'..?

You are stuck with the 4 speed or the 730. Zero room to adapt anything else into that Vdrive configuration. As far as I know, even the rear diff and axle is an orphan specific to the application so even a 2 speed diff is a no go. That would be the easy button solution if it used a generic Eaton or Rockwell axle.

At least the Scenicruiser is a T drive so you have a few transmission options that have a few more gears but are short enough to fit the space.

Kevin

No multi-speed V drive manuals by anybody other than Spicer that fit? yikes - didnt know that. I was sure there was something by somebody

guess its this big honkin' thing (the V730) .. but i really dont wanna do an automatic :(

D8278.jpg

You just have to be mindful of where you're putting the bus so you have an exit plan that doesn't exceed it's abilities.

An 8v71 has only 900 ft/lbs of torque and with no turbo they have no torque rise. Engine speed drops, so does the torque. Tacked out at 2200 or 2300 rpm, the next gear probably comes into line at about 1600 +/- which in my experience was the bottom of the torque curve. Any I ever drove with a 13 speed, I wouldn't let under 2000 if I was trying to make any power and I usually set the governor at 2450.

Kevin

i get part of this this explanation chief. Will have to "phone a friend" when Whisperer resurfaces (all tanned and "rotund-er" from three weeks off :))

:thankyou:

I'll try to help if there's a part you don't get.

Kevin

I maybe over-thinking stuff

My first thought was technical when you said: "You just have to be mindful of where you're putting the bus so you have an exit plan that doesn't exceed it's abilities"

I believe you meant as I mull over possible changes, there is the potential to mix/match stuff (and their performance characteristics/capabilities) on this 70 year old design that were never contemplated and/or make permanent alterations in doing so? So take care NOT to do that?

Stated another way I know I do not know enough about the capabilities/specs of these components (hence why I started down this road over a decade ago with a "Whisperer") to understand what to look out for given what I think I am ostensibly trying to fix on 4903 .. "clutch chatter" in reverse with a new trans option.

BUT, maybe its simpler than that?

Dont drive this thing into places, or situations, and/or at speeds it isn't designed to operate - 7% grades, tight spots where finesse/control is needed, uneven surfaces that can rip off a cargo door, etc - and find myself in physical pickle with the coach because I cant control it.

0307-cowichan-bus-jpg.jpg

again, sorry if I still aint gettin' it. I am just trying to learn stuff from folks like you who really know what they're doin. :)

I maybe over-thinking stuff

My first thought was technical when you said: "You just have to be mindful of where you're putting the bus so you have an exit plan that doesn't exceed it's abilities"

I believe you meant as I mull over possible changes, there is the potential to mix/match stuff (and their performance characteristics/capabilities) on this 70 year old design that were never contemplated and/or make permanent alterations in doing so? So take care NOT to do that?

Stated another way I know I do not know enough about the capabilities/specs of these components (hence why I started down this road over a decade ago with a "Whisperer") to understand what to look out for given what I think I am ostensibly trying to fix on 4903 .. "clutch chatter" in reverse with a new trans option.

BUT, maybe its simpler than that?

Dont drive this thing into places, or situations, and/or at speeds it isn't designed to operate - 7% grades, tight spots where finesse/control is needed, uneven surfaces that can rip off a cargo door, etc - and find myself in physical pickle with the coach because I cant control it.

View attachment 376702

again, sorry if I still aint gettin' it. I am just trying to learn stuff from folks like you who really know what they're doin. :)

Well all the above could apply but I was specifically speaking to the 7% situation with the Buffalo. As I said with the Scenicruiser, you should have some options as far as transmissions go. If there was room, my first choice would be a 13spd Eaton, not because you need 13 gears but because it has an air shift auxiliary allows you to split each gear. I'm almost certain there isn't enough room to fit that one so the second choice would be a 9 speed Eaton which is the main part of the 13spd without the auxiliary section. It still has the same Lo and reverse ratio that the 13 has that is low enough to allow you to start off and maneuver the bus at a dead idle almost anywhere.

Kevin

Long post. Winter project.

Yes, i am (well, gonna get some guys) gonna do this on both 4903 and 4501. mentioned it a few hundred posts ago.

source: Cleaning up the aluminum siding on the 4106

"OK, this is the summer to clean up my crappy looking 4106. And get the new bathroom done. And the get the triple bunks finished... and..... oh well, it never really ends, does it?

I want to repaint the blue stripe because, well, it's basically falling off. I started picking at it and marveled at the number of layers! Some sections have 15 layers of paint!!

I really wanted to figure out how to clean up the anodized siding. It looks just plain bad. I have a spare panel that I started to experiment with. I have to admit it appears that I've had some pretty good results, so I wanted to share them with you guys
.​

Capture 70.PNG

Capture 72.PNG

Capture 73.png

Capture 74.png

Couple vids, different sources. Two on an old Silversides, then and a 4905 (successor but essentially same as my 4903, last looks like an MCI from the 90's

To me, all the work is worth it. I dig the bling on these old coaches. Plus, I got some guys that like to do polishing, and I can even do the work too to save some cabbage. :)

Ford 1.jpg
Ford 2.jpg
Ford 33.jpg

Long post. Winter project.

Yes, i am (well, gonna get some guys) gonna do this on both 4903 and 4501. mentioned it a few hundred posts ago.

source: Cleaning up the aluminum siding on the 4106

"OK, this is the summer to clean up my crappy looking 4106. And get the new bathroom done. And the get the triple bunks finished... and..... oh well, it never really ends, does it?

I want to repaint the blue stripe because, well, it's basically falling off. I started picking at it and marveled at the number of layers! Some sections have 15 layers of paint!!

I really wanted to figure out how to clean up the anodized siding. It looks just plain bad. I have a spare panel that I started to experiment with. I have to admit it appears that I've had some pretty good results, so I wanted to share them with you guys
.​

View attachment 376852
View attachment 376850
View attachment 376849
View attachment 376853

Couple vids, different sources. Two on an old Silversides, then and a 4905 (successor but essentially same as my 4903, last looks like an MCI from the 90's

To me, all the work is worth it. I dig the bling on these old coaches. Plus, I got some guys that like to do polishing, and I can even do the work too to save some cabbage. :)

View attachment 376855 View attachment 376856 View attachment 376857

Depending on how much you enjoy standing behind a polisher, you might want to give away some of that cabbage. I know that I had enough just doing the wheels on the motorhome. Thankfully those and the mudlfap weight were all I needed to polish.

Depending on how much you enjoy standing behind a polisher, you might want to give away some of that cabbage. I know that I had enough just doing the wheels on the motorhome. Thankfully those and the mudlfap weight were all I needed to polish.

we did this too a door off 4501 october last year and left it out all winter. polished a clear coated it first of course. held up fine.

a door aint a bus but we cleaned/prepped door really good before the clear. i figure since the coach will live indoors year round and have sparing winter driving, i stll might pull this off.

ill pose my hypothesis to the bus crowd and see what they say about the plan.

Interesting. You would need a clear over it to maintain though.

two coats, "industrial strength clear" (has a brand name but i cant recall) made for wheels when factory cleared. gives me the long lasting bling on the original 1955 wheel I hope.

could use same stuff on the skin, but was told on the bus forums it tend to yellow. regular automotive clear and avoid year round UV exposure was recommended on the skin.

thanks boss.

source: Campers of Shag: A Look Inside Groovy Recreational Vehicles of the 1970s - Flashbak

couple posts with Campers of Shag. Any you old enough to have lived through the 70's remember shag carpet, probably had (still have?) 70's cars with it.

Stumbled across tons for 70's RV retro-stuff .. going through a phase now :).

Seriously some you all might remember/still have/seen in RV's. The colors, the clothes, and yeah the carpet.

shag20.jpg
shag18.jpg
shag12.jpg
shag16.jpg
shag19.jpg

shag17.jpg

shag15.jpg

shag14.jpg

shag13.jpg

Last edited:
an aside. ran across the best Scenicruiser book I ever saw. 2015 vintage.

First, 1001 made, 150 left, 100 of those running (estimates), and I have one. Reading about the magnificance of design for the era, despite all the issues its a privilege to own one.

Second, 100's of pages in this book, 100's of pictures that aint on the Internet anywhere, and the inside story of the bus, if you're a fan this book is a must have. The Mack engine re-power project with pictures (never heard of that), GM design studio mockup of the bus (never saw that), an ocean of brand new 8v71's waiting to be installed (fascinating), and dozens of pics of twin-4v71's from all sides (finally saw the fluid coupler with tranny attached).

Sorry, everything is copyrighted and I will respect the hard work it took to for von Fang to get the GM and other permissions so I wont post anything except the below and where to get it for anyone interested.

20200522_173703.jpg
20200522_173750.jpg

It aint cheap, but worth every penny if you're a bus-o-file like me:

https://www.amazon.com/Scenicruising-Paul-von-Fange/dp/1329425081
Lulu

4903 waiting in wings. its not in NY so I got keep it outside for now. its cool .. still learning how to drive it and getting work done on it.

my truck color ("Cajun Red Tintcoat") will be dominant color (where its white now) in the refinish. also considering "Patriot Blue metallic", and even 1969 Mopar T7 or T9 as dominant colors.

The accent colors and design themes are still TBD.

20200517_153521.jpg
20200516_134220.jpg

I love that red Ray! But have you priced that color? And you are going to need about mutilple gallons. Not trying to be a buzzkill but at over $1000 per gallon for the good stuff it will ad up.

I love that red Ray! But have you priced that color? And you are going to need about multiple gallons. Not trying to be a buzzkill but at over $1000 per gallon for the good stuff it will ad up.

chris, i know reds are wicked expensive (debate for another thread cuz opinions vary on "why", but the higher cost is real). not a buzzkill at all brother.

i am gonna test out a single stage non-pearl, metallic enamel (it wont look as good) in whatever color, not a base/clear process.

Still, even though only the upper half, the bus surface area is around 4 times (~1300 sq ft) the whole truck surface area (~ 350 sq. ft) with bed.

thanks for your input :)

Back