Scenicruisin'..?

another oldie..1973 brochure cactus green, sunflower gold, and tangerine. just need the shag carpet, platform shoes, and a leisure suit. :)

Capture 77.png
Capture 78.png
Capture 79.png
Capture 81.png
Capture 82.png

Capture 83.png
Capture 85.png
Capture 86.png
Capture 87.png
Capture 80.png

I remember going to look at those when they were new. Was leaning to the gold, then orange.
The interior of our trailer in '74...

002.jpg

pulled by my in vogue, green car...

Slide0125.jpg

Last edited:
you guys were livin' the dream with home on the road. super cool rig!

We (the kids) wanted to, but the folks spent their 70's frugal disposable income they had saving for college for and two other kids. I had to get to be an "old man" before I could start :)

1969 Flying W art. This era's art, cars or RV's. left an impression on a youngster.

Untitled70.jpg
Untitled68.jpg
Untitled69.jpg
Untitled67.jpg
Untitled66.jpg
Untitled65.jpg

4903 is getting paint in july.

looking at them (see post #1249 too), more than any other design, people want to "black out" the windows. not just the limo tint, but the whole side from windshield to rear glass is painted black.

I will be replacing the middle windows and doing the limo tint thing all around, but painting the skin between the windows (ala first pic) the dominant color. 4501 is gonna get same treatment 'cept polishing between upper side windows.

note second pic that Buffaloes (35 and 40 footers) did go into service under the "Scenicruiser" branding as the successor coaches.

Capture 82.png
Capture 77.png
Capture 72.PNG
Capture 78.png
Capture 79.png
Capture 81.png
Capture 84.png
Capture 86.png
Capture 87.png
Capture 80.png

4903 is getting paint in july.

looking at them (see post #1249 too), more than any other design, people want to "black out" the windows. not just the limo tint, but the whole side from windshield to rear glass is painted black.

I will be replacing the middle windows and doing the limo tint thing all around, but painting the skin between the windows (ala first pic) the dominant color. 4501 is gonna get same treatment 'cept polishing between upper side windows.

note second pic that Buffaloes (35 and 40 footers) did go into service under the "Scenicruiser" branding as the successor coaches.

View attachment 378429 View attachment 378425 View attachment 378424 View attachment 378426 View attachment 378427 View attachment 378428 View attachment 378430 View attachment 378431 View attachment 378432 View attachment 378433
If I had to pick one of the blackout schemes, it would be this one...

capture-84-png.png

another oldie..1973 brochure cactus green, sunflower gold, and tangerine. just need the shag carpet, platform shoes, and a leisure suit. :)

For Sale - 1973 winnebago Indian

yeah, it was me. picking it up next week.

havent thought through my intentions, though some updated version of the original design themes. I have tons of pics, know exactly what it looks like inside/outside, roof/underside. seller a good guy .. if you're looking at his things you'll get the straight skinny.

anyway, not much will be done before Carlisle 2021. i got busses to do. but look for updates here on this one for a couple of years.

NO -- i am NOT collecting RV's. I commented to a member its "catch and release" for me now. It was "acquire and hold" for decades. Not these days. I there will be no busses "following the hearse".

I get it in good shape and find it a new home with someone who appreciates some of the stuff I liked in a few years. before that, I'll spin this baby from time to time on my trips post-retirement :)

I maybe over-thinking stuff

My first thought was technical when you said: "You just have to be mindful of where you're putting the bus so you have an exit plan that doesn't exceed it's abilities"

I believe you meant as I mull over possible changes, there is the potential to mix/match stuff (and their performance characteristics/capabilities) on this 70 year old design that were never contemplated and/or make permanent alterations in doing so? So take care NOT to do that?

Stated another way I know I do not know enough about the capabilities/specs of these components (hence why I started down this road over a decade ago with a "Whisperer") to understand what to look out for given what I think I am ostensibly trying to fix on 4903 .. "clutch chatter" in reverse with a new trans option.

BUT, maybe its simpler than that?

Dont drive this thing into places, or situations, and/or at speeds it isn't designed to operate - 7% grades, tight spots where finesse/control is needed, uneven surfaces that can rip off a cargo door, etc - and find myself in physical pickle with the coach because I cant control it.

View attachment 376702

again, sorry if I still aint gettin' it. I am just trying to learn stuff from folks like you who really know what they're doin. :)
From my very limited experience, I found the bigger the rig the more critical it is to plan the trips. Stuff like staying away from car roads and on truck routes, don't run the tank so low that you are tempted to try a gas station that wasn't designed to accommodate vehicles your size, even lunch stops where you get stuck in a tight or inclined lot can suck. Gave me a whole new perspective for the OTR guys who never know where their going next.

Stuff like low underpasses, light bridges and overhead wires could ruin an adventure fast. Stuff I didn't think much about before I started like steep driveway aprons in/out of otherwise good parking lots, curbs in those parking lots, and fuel station canopies made too low can be real problems. I never drove anything bigger than a rental box truck in PGH, but know there's all kinds of situations that you never think about when driving a 4 wheel vehicle.

not mine and I am not remotely looking for another bus.

I do look for interior ideas for this 50's-80's "silverside-ish" coaches. I will not buy a newer coach .. just dont appeal to me (absolutely NOTHING wrong with them) as much.

Hey, why do we all love the C's and other old stuff? Cuz they give you that "feeling" -- y'all know what I mean.

This is an '83 MCI ex-Greyhound conversion. Old bus, classic old design. Much like my Buffalo, retro wood/blinds/kitchettes/permanent beds but different than I am gonna do the Scenicruiser interior (it will be more open, no kitchette, no fixed queen bed, etc-- oh, and probably NOT gonna be ready -- COVID has me six months behind :()

Very affordable now (around $30K or less, when Buffalo is done I wont even be that high in it) ... if you like the old stuff, good time to be eyeballin' stuff

SELLER DESCRIPTION ON EBAY: 1983-MCI-MC-9-Bus-Conversion-

key Features
  • Industrial built coach known to last a Million Miles on a well maintained Detroit and Allison Drive Train
  • Simple construction which allows for easy maintenance and trouble free service
  • Vintage / Retro Styling
  • Holds it's value
  • You do NOT need a commercial license to drive this coach in the lower 48.
Beautiful 40' MCI MC-9 Bus conversion. This coach was built by a retired bus technician and is very solid both structurally and mechanically.
The conversion is mild and modest but functions well and will take care of all your traveling needs.
  • Engine: Detroit 8v71 Diesel (Approximately 250,000 miles with excellent maintenance... Will easily go another 850,000 miles)
  • Transmission: Allison Automatic 740D 4 speed (Less than 60,000 miles)
  • All new front axle and rear axle bellows
  • 179 Gallon Fuel Tank
  • Brakes are in excellent condition and were just inspected 4-5 months ago
  • New Brake Relay Valve
  • Batteries are only a few years old and in great condition
  • Nice 10 Gallon water heater 110V / Propane which will give you a nice hot shower
  • Toyo Drive tires, and Steer Tires in good shape. Tag axle tires will need to be replaced before a long trip
  • 55 Gallon Clean water Tank
  • 57 Gallon Black water Tank
  • 65 Gallon Grey water Tank
  • (3) 5 Gallon Propane Tanks
  • 5.5 Kw Generek Generator
  • (3) burner stove / oven Propane
  • (1) 15000 BTU A/C unit on the roof
  • 110 Volt Refrigerator
Built on a solid industrial strength MCI Chassis this coach will last far beyond your needs. Stainless steel exterior paneling (Not fiberglass and plastic like a typical motorhome), solid and strong commercial grade air brake system, and a million mile drive train if serviced properly... You really cannot beat this setup if you are looking for dependability!

Capture 72.PNG
Capture 82.png
Capture 83.png

Capture 80.png
shag17.png
Capture 84.png
Capture 85.png
Capture 91.png
Capture 74.png
Capture 86.png

Fire Sale. Frigerator caught fire, still seems like a lotta stuff here for the price

We've had these here. Again, I am not a buyer.

Seller Description on Ebay: 45FT-1999-Kingsley-Coach-Motorhome

45 ft 1999 Kingsley CoachFor parts and or restoration.

This one of a kind classic Peterbilt Extended hood Detroit 60 series 430 HP truck was converted by Kingsley Coach to a Camelot Series 45 ft Motorhome in 1999. This coach has been used sparingly and was always stored in enclosed garage at owners residence. Fantastic and easy to drive with 5 speed automatic transmission . Ideal candidate for full restoration and or upgrade.

IMPORTANT: A fire that started behind the double door Norcold refrigerator/freezer caused side and roof damage and is offered for sale “ as is, where is”.

The refrigerator has been removed and damaged area covered with temporary patch. The coach is fully operational and can be driven anywhere.

Some of the key features ....

• Two slide outs (no damage except for the wiring)
  • Large awning
  • Engine, Drive train and tires in excellent condition
  • New airbags
  • 10KW Onan diesel generator (generator low hours since overhaul)
  • Full 150gal fuel tanks
  • 3 roof AC (no damage)
  • 75,000 miles on coach (donor truck mileage unknown)
  • Tires in almost new condition
  • 5 speed automatic transmission.
Make offer or buy now for $25,000. Viewing is advised before making offer. Viewing by appointment only.

Capture 74.png
Capture 72.PNG
Capture 86.png
shag17.png
Capture 91.png
Capture 84.png
Capture 85.png

Last edited:
So what was your "I'm not looking for another bus, but if the price is right" offer? $20K, 25K?

:lol:

No different than anybody else, I wont reject 1/4 priced deals for a cool thing I want but dont need (if i find a Sultana or '50's Flxible Starliner for $20-$25K, ready to drive, sure I grab that, keep few years, sell for what i paid) ... but again buses are different. I really do not have the room and I am too old.

Not a buyer, just love these mid-late 80's tandem axle Blue Birds. Like the boxy(roomy), retro interiors, affordable, cockpit full of nerdy knobs/buttons/gauges, stout (8V92 that can take a hill with a C body in tow), pedesstrian durability with the "skydeck" perch.

Was gonna try at post #781 to get that one but it was gone while I vacillated (was havin trouble finding a Scenicruiser at the time).

Anyway, here for no other reason cept I dig 'em (prefer "silverside" models but this is still cool with its all metal body)

Seller Description on Ebay

1988 Bluebird Wanderlodge PT40 Class A Diesel RV for sale in Johnson City TN, 37602

Price: $51,500.00 Offers Considered!!

This 1988 Bluebird Wanderlodge is Powered by a Silver 8V92 475HP Detroit Diesel Engine with 214,692 miles, Driven with a Allison Automatic Transmission. The Overall Length is 40 feet and Comes Equipped with a 12.5KW Diesel Generator. Featuring 1 Main Awning and 6 Window Awnings, 3 A/C units, 4 Electric Heaters, 2 Gas Heater Furnaces and Sleeps 4 Comfortably. This is a Non-Pet/Non-Smoking RV, there has not been any Accidents or Water Damage and has been an Adult only RV.

Capture 84.png
shag17.png

Capture 85.png
Capture 86.png
Capture 82.png

Capture 72.PNG
Capture 80.png
Capture 74.png
Capture 91.png

For Sale - 1973 winnebago Indian

yeah, it was me. picking it up next week.

havent thought through my intentions, though some updated version of the original design themes. I have tons of pics, know exactly what it looks like inside/outside, roof/underside. seller a good guy .. if you're looking at his things you'll get the straight skinny.

anyway, not much will be done before Carlisle 2021. i got busses to do. but look for updates here on this one for a couple of years.

NO -- i am NOT collecting RV's. I commented to a member its "catch and release" for me now. It was "acquire and hold" for decades. Not these days. I there will be no busses "following the hearse".

I get it in good shape and find it a new home with someone who appreciates some of the stuff I liked in a few years. before that, I'll spin this baby from time to time on my trips post-retirement :)

took six weeks (guys not really wanting to hassle with NY state) to get it moved but it finally got it. I am not going to be able to do much work on it next 12 months.

as I look at the transporters rig .. seems with a high profile 11,000 lbs and 22ft on his back, couple inches wider than his trailer, wonder if it had enough "oomph-- plus some white-knuckle segments of his trip. he said be broke down twice along the way (from Denver to Buffalo). Anyway, he's licensed transporter and made it in one piece so guess he knew what he was doing

If any of you have/see vintage parts (cabinets, minor trim, lights, knobs etc.) PM me. My plan is old-skool retro, its highly original inside, 47 year old goofy/wild colors and all ... minus the shag carpeting though.

Clean vehicle, FCBO member cudahunter is a straight up guy to deal with, and has my endorsement.

20200716_111153.jpg
20200716_112417.jpg
20200716_112355.jpg
20200716_111312.jpg
20170713_183426-jpg.jpg
20170713_184312-jpg.jpg

never saw the movie dave . but love the actors. Been i love with Helen since "Caligula", and diggin' Donald's work (Klute, MASH, Kelly's Heroes) nearly as long.

Anyway, first task s getting this battleship moving under her own steam, then put away a couple years' hibernation. Some bigger fish to fry in the meantime, so to speak :)

Working away on PD 4501. PD 4903 getting some paint. got my hands full. 4501 will not be ready for Carlisle next summer. PD 4903 will easily be.

switching topics

Yes, I looked at this. 1950 Flxible Clipper, gas engine, not running, kind of a 1970's vintage finished interior.

Did not buy -- needed a bit more work than i could take on. Anybody with interest, I can tell you where it is if you PM me.

20200906_081940.png
20200906_081907.png
20200906_0820039.png
2020090695081945.png
2020090695081918.png

finished products from resto efforts.

A4.png
A8.png
A9.png

Here's my 4106... It was an Arrow Stage Lines coach in Norfolk Nebraska.

I need to find a new seal for the 3 piece rear window. Any input as to where to check would be greatly appreciated.

61 4106 (3) -.JPG

61 GM 4106 - Copy.JPG

Back