Scenicruisin'..?

This was my Dad's '48 GM 2903 with a 4-71 Detroit. The picture is on South Padre Island in I believe 1980. My grandfather had a second house in San Benito Texas and we would spend 2-3 weeks down there about every February when I was a kid.

1971-80 South Padre Island.jpg

1971-80 San Benito TX.jpg

Likely the only coach/tour style bus you will see with a grille. I re-contoured a Chevy trailblazer licence plate mount to move the plate to the bumper, so I could put a grille in the flat open void.

IMG_0677 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2009 - Copy.JPG

IMG_2006 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
The '48 was originally blue & white, but Dad painted it FK5 burnt orange in about '76, getting the paint code from my brother's '70 Sport Fury.

scan0032 -.jpg

IMG_2007 - Copy.JPG

IMG_1999 - Copy.JPG

Last edited:
Working away on PD 4501. PD 4903 getting some paint. got my hands full. 4501 will not be ready for Carlisle next summer. PD 4903 will easily be.

switching topics

Yes, I looked at this. 1950 Flxible Clipper, gas engine, not running, kind of a 1970's vintage finished interior.

Did not buy -- needed a bit more work than i could take on. Anybody with interest, I can tell you where it is if you PM me.

View attachment 402910 View attachment 402911 View attachment 402909 View attachment 402907 View attachment 402908

finished products from resto efforts.

View attachment 402913 View attachment 402912 View attachment 402914

Was just wondering. . . I've looked at a few YouTube videos lately posted by a guy called: "Bus Grease Monkey." Have you guys ever met this man or had him help with your bus repairs / maintenance? Here is a video he posted recently:

Was just wondering. . . I've looked at a few YouTube videos lately posted by a guy called: "Bus Grease Monkey." Have you guys ever met this man or had him help with your bus repairs / maintenance? Here is a video he posted recently:

I've been watching a few of his, especially the Scenicruiser he's working on.

Bus Grease Monkey is a cool watch. Hell, I think I've learned more about Detroit Diesel two-stroke engines from his videos that anyone. He has a property in Tennessee that he operates from. He used to do on-the-road runs to customers across the country to fix their buses, but the wuflu nonsense stopped him this year. So, his customers have been coming to his location now. He even went to the DriveTanks ranch in Uvalde, TX where you can drive WWII and Korea-era tanks, fire off a live round, and more. Also has a huge collection or firearms from around the world. Some, you can go to the range and fire. A very spendy experience! The point is, one of the tanks is Detroit-powered (x2), and he fixed and sorted the tank out. Cool episode! His videos are pretty interesting, to me.

Project update.

4501 a year off the pace. pandemic effects and and i lost my place in line for interior/electrical fitment. 2022 sometime. still on budget so I believe it still will NOT end up being the sinkhole i thought. unless shakedown drives reveal some other thing.

4903 coming along fine. need some woodwork done, getting paint in spring (working to skin polished first) and wheels done. will be ready for Carlisle, but I wont bring it (if i can make it -- watching the "pokes per month' and the mutations - but that's another thread).

Last edited:
Ray, you could buy this new coach for a mere $2,650,000, the paint alone is $150,000. Lifetime warranty for any squeaks and rattles included. As @commando1 would say, "wretched excess"...

Peter - i am a "player" in some games -- but this one is little "tall" at $2.6M big.

Even if i had that kinda lettuce to spend on cool stuff, guess i'd pick up about a 1,000 C-body projects with $150K left over. :)

I see where the money went on this coach, and I am sure it's well built and all that .. but the paint job is giving me vertigo. guess i'm getting old ...

Last edited:
Still Scenicruisin. COVID added a year to the project. I got it all documented ..when the time comes I'll finish this thread with a "bang? Patience please if interested in how this all turns out. :)

Meantime, folks at FCBO (thank y'all again) who have helped with in this thread, and privately, continue to send me leads. What is apparent -- and I shoulda thought more about this -- there are less than 200 of these left, a bit over 100 known to run (so I am told on the bus boards) out of the 1,001 built.

So what's the "revelation"? I need a parts bus .. just like I have for every other old thing I own.

This one is out in California was referred to me this weekend .. thousands of miles away from me but a complete specimen. Price to acquire is 1/4 of an in-op transport since it isnt roadworthy of 2500 miles. I have space to store it, its NOT beyond repair, but it is beyond my means to restore.

I don't need a spare bus yet -- mine was complete too ... but while this one might be physically out of my reach, i gotta keep looking as nearly everything on these buses have not OEM replacements given only 100 in-ops are left.

K.png
L.png
J.png
M.png
Resized952021040995112500.png
Resized952021040995112501.png

Still Scenicruisin. COVID added a year to the project. I got it all documented ..when the time comes I'll finish this thread with a "bang? Patience please if interested in how this all turns out. :)

Meantime, folks at FCBO (thank y'all again) who have helped with in this thread, and privately, continue to send me leads. What is apparent -- and I shoulda thought more about this -- there are less than 200 of these left, a bit over 100 known to run (so I am told on the bus boards) out of the 1,001 built.

So what's the "revelation"? I need a parts bus .. just like I have for every other old thing I own.

This one is out in California was referred to me this weekend .. thousands of miles away from me but a complete specimen. Price to acquire is 1/4 of an in-op transport since it isnt roadworthy of 2500 miles. I have space to store it, its NOT beyond repair, but it is beyond my means to restore.

I don't need a spare bus yet -- mine was complete too ... but while this one might be physically out of my reach, i gotta keep looking as nearly everything on these buses have not OEM replacements given only 100 in-ops are left.

View attachment 458419View attachment 458420 View attachment 458418 View attachment 458421 View attachment 458416 View attachment 458417

You know you want it.:D:D

good idea but thats a x-country haul for him chief .. with a "deadhead" (and fee structure) for most folks with the rigs to do it.

i cant ask that of anyone . but he's checked this thread many times ovee the years ... mght know somebody who could go EZ on me.

:thumbsup:

Buy it and arrange to store it where it's at, or close by. Then parts stripped and shipped as needed...... Sell the hulk when finished..... Just saying. :rolleyes:

Buy it and arrange to store it where it's at, or close by. Then parts stripped and shipped as needed. ..... Sell the hulk when finished..... Just saying. :rolleyes:

that had crossed my mind boss .. even right where it is.

usually, however, a seller wants a thing "outta here". since my need for parts could be "sporadic", and uncertain of what is needed, that place would need the ability to "strip stuff off of it" .. again perhaps not something anybody wants to do as it could sit there for years.

the security against vandalism, insurance needs, fires/earthquakes, moving 1,000+ lb parts (tandem axle stuff, hub/brake assys, or oversized and/or heavy/fragile stuff (hatches, glass, etc) 2500 miles.

EOD, still an excellent thought. i will be calling today and see if its still there, let alone what my options are locally as to what to do with it.

Appreicate the input

:thankyou:

Ok, I'm finally far enough into this site that I am just viewing threads. Just found this thread here at lunch. I'm impressed! Those bus's are freakin awesome!
Glad that winnie is in good hands. Glad to be watching the thread. Unfortunately I have to go back and view the first 64 pages. Later after work, for a week.

Ok, I'm finally far enough into this site that I am just viewing threads. Just found this thread here at lunch. I'm impressed! Those bus's are freakin awesome!
Glad that winnie is in good hands. Glad to be watching the thread. Unfortunately I have to go back and view the first 64 pages. Later after work, for a week.

thanks chief.

Winnie's runnin' really good (blew a brake line on entrance ramp to my warehouse), patched the roof, but not much else done yet. still can't find a driver taillight .. but there's time. She'll get her day in the sun here in a couple years.

hope you get a chance to go through Scenicruisin' thread, and many other long-running threads by everybody here that caught/held attention of a few people.

Back