SEIZED DIFF PLUG

Paul Sprosen

Reaction score
I am having big problems trying to loosen the diff plug on my Dodge 880. I have tried plenty of penetrating oil,big spanners, small to big hammers. I have heated the surrounding area up with gas. At present I have my shifter attatched to the plug a metre of piping as leverage, then my trolly jack cranking up some decent pressure. The MOTHER will not budge.

- Wire brush as much corrosion off of the joint as possible

- Find a friend with a small / pencil tip oxy acetylene torch (“sounds like a personal problem!”). Propane & map torches don’t get hot enough...especially not for a plug in a rearend chunk.

- heat the *plug* until it’s cherry red, being careful to keep the torch moving

- Once cherry red, slam a beeswax puck all over the plug and threads. Apply reverse torque immediately afterward.

This has only failed me one time in my life, on a totally sunk setscrew in which someone had destroyed the socket and the hole threads, then let corrode over for a few years (totally lost cause...was more of a test than anything).

Have you tried tightening it? Not any real movement, but just a very little. The threads on that side undoubtedly cleaner and it may move some. After it has moved hit it with the penetrzting oil

I'll 2nd what AF said. I've had a stick of Bees wax in my stash for 40 yearz. Learned that trick from an old Friend removing those plugz from 440 engines getting them ready for boil out. The operative word here iz BEES WAX, NOT THE WAX that Grandma used to seal her preserves with! Never failed, Jer

Also, if you don’t have an impact, you can “DIY” by carefully whacking the crap out of the plug *without damaging the business end.* Giant steel hammer + sacrificial piece of steel in between (don’t use the socket!)...the shock is what does the trick. Do this especially if you can’t procure an oxy torch.

If you can, post a pic of the diff plug. If I can see its current condition I know I can help you get it out.

Thanks for the tips, I am going to give AFs suggestion with the bees wax a shot. I have not heard of this idea before today. Could I damage the axle seals by cooking the plug up red. David the plug looks very clean as its been wire brushed and had a month of oil thrown at it.

!!! Get the area totally cleaned of penetrating fluid, etc etc before swinging a torch around there. Shower everything with brake clean.

You’re talking about the plug in the cast iron pumpkin, right? The only seals in jeopardy might be the diff gasket and maybe the pinion seal...both are *long shots* for being destroyed by heating the plug.

Hi Guys, just an up-date on the frozen plug. I got a friend down last weekend with his oxy-acetylene torch. Set it up, dragged our selves under the car only to discover that sometime in the last week the "SOD" broke loose. Not much oil in it. Thanks (AF) for the tip, its logged in I am sure I will find some part in this project to use it on. Cheers Paul.

Hi Guys, just an up-date on the frozen plug. I got a friend down last weekend with his oxy-acetylene torch. Set it up, dragged our selves under the car only to discover that sometime in the last week the "SOD" broke loose. Not much oil in it. Thanks (AF) for the tip, its logged in I am sure I will find some part in this project to use it on. Cheers Paul.
I just serviced mine and ready to go back under the wagon. Contrary to yours being low I sucked out 7 pints so someone must have added along the way. It only calls for 4.

IMG_0396.jpg

Back