SNOW !

I got out and rode by my mother's place about an hour ago. It was varying between sleet and rain at that point. They're calling for a second system to cross later this evening. According to my "tire gauge" we got over 9" here. 33s and a 15" wheel should be about a 9" side wall plus what ever was under the tire.
KIMG0094.jpg

A36A5E5B-3436-46D3-BA78-3DA732793D99.jpeg
I got 9 1/2 inches here. It turned to a mix & so far it’s meliting. The bridges will be difficult tomorrow.

Drove from Ben's place north of Richmond to Greenville near Gary's today, so can testify that the experience was a white knuckle ride. Defo worst driving conditions that I have experienced in my life. Snow was heaviest in Virginia on the trip, with umpteen cars noted crashed off the highway on both the sides. Witnessed a crash in the rear view mirror where a Ford Expedition or Explorer lost control moving out of the way of a rig. It lost control on the lane change with it's nose then veering across the front of the tractor unit, it subsequently smashing into the Ford spinning it off the road. Everyone behind would have had to take evasive action. Crazy.

Anyway, took it slow and steady, my grip on the steering wheel easing as the snow turned to rain. Made it through, thank goodness lol. Hitting the hay in Greenville.

Drove from Ben's place north of Richmond to Greenville near Gary's today, so can testify that the experience was a white knuckle ride. Defo worst driving conditions that I have experienced in my life. Snow was heaviest in Virginia on the trip, with umpteen cars noted crashed off the highway on both the sides. Witnessed a crash in the rear view mirror where a Ford Expedition or Explorer lost control moving out of the way of a rig. It lost control on the lane change with it's nose then veering across the front of the tractor unit, it subsequently smashing into the Ford spinning it off the road. Everyone behind would have had to take evasive action. Crazy.

Anyway, took it slow and steady, my grip on the steering wheel easing as the snow turned to rain. Made it through, thank goodness lol. Hitting the hay in Greenville.
If you have to drive again be carefull of bridges & black ice. The road can look fine & then suddenly a frozen patch you can’t see. And bridges remain dangerous untill temp get much higher.

Glad you made it safely to your destination! That's the weather we get up here in Minnesota, and we don't have that much here. Hope the rest of your trip is in dry country.

Sorry to hear you guy's are getting all my snow, I need it here, snowplowing makes me some extra cash.

For a member vacationing here in the states from Australia, you have had your share of driving ordeals. From miserable Los Angeles traffic to the snow/ice in the East.

And all this while trying to adjust to driving on the "wrong" side of the road!

Whew! Hang in there.

Glad you're safe... :welcome::usflag:

I Laff, had to go through Virginia & North Carolina in similar snow storm just after Christmas heading south to Florida in the 70's, learned what the "Bridges Freeze Before Roadway" signs were all about. Still had my tires pumped up to 45.psi for mileage, said I'd drop the pressure at the next gas stop as cars were spinning off into the ditch all around me on I-95 in North Carolina. Thank god being after Christmas there were no tractor trailers on the road, plenty of Winnebago's thou, all heading down to Disney for the school holiday. by the time the next gas stop came it had all turned to rain and on the AM radio the weather report said it would freeze by midnight all the way down into north Florida, soooo everyone on the Interstate was doing over a 100 to beat that. The next morning waking up at the girlfriends apartment in Savannah with her all rare'in to go to Florida I looked out at a inch of ice covering everything and went back to bed saying we ain't going nowhere. LOL

It’s not unusual for us to get a foot of snow overnight. The difference is we have the equipment to handle it and life doesn’t stop .... or even slow up much for that matter.

Good luck with it all, it does eventually melt.

Yea I feel sorry for the State Troopers in North Carolina (never gave me a ticket) as the Governor of NC said on the 6 O'Clock news last night that since 12 am they had to deal with 700 accidents just on the Interstates. Virginia had to call out the National Guard to rescue people off their Interstates. :wideyed:

It was rainy gloomy morning here so just had the Weather Channel on waiting for all the gaff's. Got tired real quick of that Cantori guy blathering on how lite and dry the snow was just like he see's in Aspen, Steamboat Springs etc. Yea STFU we all know you TV Weather 'STARS' hang out where the Rocks Stars go.

Funny part was where he had someone barrel into a plow bank and get stuck and then all the pushing and trying to back it up led to a suggestion of "Have you got any floor mats"?
A Helpful Harry came by in a pickup with the promise that'll he'll "Hook it up to the frame", then some sections of 2x8's came out. I could of sworn that at the last segment when I glanced over that the plastic bumper cover was torn off when they ended that foolishness.

:rofl::rofl:

Back