So what happened to this one? The 1970 300 Hurst Prototype?

Wow! Is it really a prototype or just something someone fabricated?

The VIN might be an indication of being a protype.

It was in Mopar Collectors Guide, it's the prototype, can't remember what documentation, but it's real.

Saw it at MCACN in 2017 in the Barn Finds display. Real or not real? Didn't get a fender tag pic. It could be real, or just somebody's made up vision of a car they wanted to build for themselves, 40+ years ago.
These were the only pics I took.
Hurst Proto5.jpg

Hurst Proto1.jpg
Hurst Proto2.jpg
Hurst Proto3.jpg
Hurst Proto4.jpg

It was in Mopar Collectors Guide, it's the prototype, can't remember what documentation, but it's real.

There is documentation that this car was the prototype. I believe that this car was on display at the Hurst event held in conjunction with the Carlisle Chrysler Nationals.

The car has an interesting history. Long time Chrysler and 300 enthusiast and collector Michael Burke bought the car in the mid 70's. He had the car a long time before current owner and C body collector Cecil Montgomery acquired the car.

The car is a Q code, Public Relations ordered car, that was apparently ordered in "brown" and then painted brown and gold and submitted to Chrysler for evaluation. The color was disproved of and then the "white and gold" paint scheme as we know the 300/H as today was decided on.

The "prototype" was not submitted to Chrysler with a sunroof, console or the Hurst Auto-Stick shifter, wheels, or the Hurst emblems on the door panels as we see the car today. Those were added later by Hurst or a Hurst employee. Photographic evidence from the Hurst owners manual shows the car in detail, those items are clearly not on the car and it is claimed to be the same vehicle. Exactly, when these items were added and by whom is not known. My guess would be they were added by Hurst, but I've not seen any documentation to support my theory.

It is the only 300/H that was fitted with the Sport Fury GT tips from the "factory", or Hurst, as far as I have found.

There were two sunroof cars produced by Hurst. And I do not believe this is one of them. So this would technically be a third car I believe.

It's still is a fascinating part of MoPar history, super cool car and I'm glad the car is in the good hands with a noted C body collector.

Cecil has some gorgeous C Bodys and I have no doubt that this car will be stunning when it is done.

Back