Sr-71 cockpit!!!

Its amazing how they flew this. Not one video screen or digital readout. Just dials .....everywhere. There's a few dials there that have dials on THEM. Safe bet no voice recog either.

coolest plane ever. designed in the days of drafting pens and slide rules. extraordinary and advanced, in the end too costly to maintain...but what a machine.

http://www.sr-71.org/blackbird/sr-71/

first learned about it reading "Nick Fury, Agent of Shield" comic books in the mid-60's. thought it was a made up plane. learned it was a real plane in a few years later.

other than taking pictures next to it, i met the pilot who wrote this book and talked a LONG time with him just listening to NON-classified things he did.

sr71.jpgsr71-2.jpg

sr71.jpg

sr71-2.jpg

I built one of these as a model when I was a kid only years later did I learn it was a real aircraft. Most interesting thing I thought was all the maintenance had to be done with explosion proof tools(plastic coated) as to not make a spark because the fuel would leak out of the plane on the ground at normal temps when airborne it would seal up due to cold at altitude.

I think you are thinking of the X-15. It is by far the fastest plane and used a rocket motor with liquid oxygen as an oxidizer. SR 71 used jet engines. The SR-71 would however leak jet fuel on the ground at normal temps. At altitude the skin would actually heat up due to aerodynamic friction and expand and seal up.

I got to watch one take off from Mildenhall, England in the mid '90s, while our E3 crew was there on a stopover to the litterbox. It was an amazing sight! It was no doubt, the loudest airplane I'd ever heard. After the Blackbird takes off, it MUST refuel, as it could not take off with full fuel tanks. Simply awe-inspiring.

I think you are thinking of the X-15. It is by far the fastest plane and used a rocket motor with liquid oxygen as an oxidizer. SR 71 used jet engines. The SR-71 would however leak jet fuel on the ground at normal temps. At altitude the skin would actually heat up due to aerodynamic friction and expand and seal up.

Yeah I guess I was making a hybrid LOL, I knew they leaked but forgot the fuel till I read the specs then went back and edited.

Enola Gay cockpit

My favorite aircraft....

deliveryService

Now there is a airplane which on a side note Chrysler fixed a lot of reliability problems with the engines and in turn learned about the airflow capabilities of hemi / opposing valve cylinder heads and we know where that led.

Couple Sr-71 "powertrain" notes. Anyone with the interest (me) and smarts (not me) to understand the following video on the J-58 engines that powered the plane, take a peek at the following.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F3ao5SCedIk

In my autographed book, the author writes.

"Each J-58 is 20 ft long, 4.5 ft in diameter, and weighs 6,500 lbs. Sea-level parameters are 32,000 lbs thrust, consumes 65,000 lbs of JP-7 per hour, and 326 lbs of air per second. At cruise, the whole engine grows in length by six inches, diameter grows by 2.5 inches, uses 11,000 lbs of fuel per minute, and uses 800 degree F air for "cooling.

The engines were started using the 'Buick'..a starter cart with two Buick 'Nailhead' 401 V8's with enough torque to get J-58 spun up fast enough to ignite the fuel. Unmuffled by design to generate maximum torque, the starter cart sounded and looked a bit like a 3,000 horsepower dragster, thunderously loud and even had flames shooting from the exhaust tips"

Everything about the plane was big, bold, loud, fast, and ahead of its time. And we can forgive them for using Nailheads instead of 392 Hemi's to start it...even smart people make mistakes occasionally.

Again, this is 1950's-60's technology. Imagine what could be done today with advancements in analysis tools, materials, and manufacturing. I am always floored, and have to keep my arrogance in check, when I go back and learn the marvelous, ingenious things people came up with in the "old days".

Just check out the moon missions for other "lessons" in what those people overcame technically...the Saturn V rocket itself is a technical wonder by any standard..to get to the moon.

How do you get a rocket motor down from the size of a railroad boxcar to the size of a refrigerator, so you can get 6.5 million pounds off the ground and then a 250,000 lb. payload to escape velocity of 25,000 mph? And that turned out to be easy compared to other stuff they solved.

Fun thread 72 Fury..thanks.

Last edited:
The "Buick".

Last photo might be an A-12 (vs an SR-71) judging by tail number. Both planes had J-58s... A-12's said to be faster but SR-71 had more range. probably had other differences but i dunno what they are.

startcart.jpg
start_cart_interior.jpg
ussalabama-a-12-107w-1.jpg

Back