Sub-Division UPDATE

C Body Bob

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
Ok 2 of the subs are very close so I can see what's going on often. The one behind me work came to a stop just before Christmas & they are yet to get back. The one about a mile up the road I noticed back in the summer the work on that one slowed & then stopped altogether around late September. Just found out why. They where ready to start paving the roads & ran ito a right away problem for the turning lane entering the sub. The state/county would not allow it saying it was too close to an intersection & could cause traffic problems. So the developer bought adjacent land & is going to greatly expand the sub. They just got started clearing in early December. Now they can move the entrance road further back. But not too far back as there is a nice curve. It's going to be an interesting summer with all the cement mixers & building supply trucks comming & going. Looks like 250 houses now as the two subs are less than a mile from each other

Last edited:
Don' t they get County, State and local approvals down there before they grab the shovel?

Make sure you read and attend the meetings after looking at the agenda for what local government body covers your area. At this stage of the game it probably was already approved after several public meetings. Now at least you will see the size of the sub division etc. We have little if any attendance at our public meetings. I remember one guy who stood up and said he does not get a newspaper, internet, listen to radio and complained why he was not made aware of a topic. People generally don't make any effort to become aware of what is going on but then complain. The elected officials are there to serve you.....get involved.

Don' t they get County, State and local approvals down there before they grab the shovel?
Agreed that's what I thought. I wouldn't have stuck a shovel in the dirt till I had all the proper permits & plans approved. Not sure how this happened

The same guy that is doing the second sub also tried to build a used car lot about another mile down. He set up a double wide. Cleared the land. Put a paved drive in & then suddenly stopped. A few weeks later there was a sign put up by the county about a public zone hearing. So apparently he didn't have the proper permits for that or someone complained. Nothing has been done there for months either.

When we have our car show at a City Park I asked to limit public parking on one side of the street for the day of the event. So I asked for it to be put on the Department of Public Works meeting that I chair. It was discussed and approved by the whole board. Not by one person dictating orders. Certainly people can still complain (but none did) as I even went door to door letting the residents know what is going on and when.

Bob, would either of these subdivisions be by Wade Jurney Homes? I know he's got a few in Burlington but I'm not sure if he's gone any further East yet.

Being in city government I could tell you stories... but I'll boil it down to this; builders tend to be aggressive. Small town government officials tend to be passive types who like to collect $500 a month and get invited to every charity watermelon eating contest. Thus the expression "better to ask forgivness than permission".

I'm the anti-social SOB that would rather pull a trans than schmoze with a bunch of government-groupies. I ran for council out of frustration with these types, not to hang out with them.

Now my frustration comes from being the only guy willing to call a developer's bluff. One vote out of seven doesn't mean much; although there have been some victories.

Last edited:
Being in city government I could tell you stories... but I'll boil it down to this; builders tend to be aggressive, small town government officials tend to be passive types who like to collect $500 a month and get invited to every charity watermelon eating contest. Thus the expression "better to ask forgivness than permission".

I'm the anti-social SOB that would rather pull a trans than schmoze with a bunch of government-groupies. I ran for council out of frustration with these types, not to hang out with them.

Now my frustration comes from being the only guy willing to call a developer's bluff. One vote out of seven doesn't mean much; although there have been some victories.
Bingo !

A long time ago I was the parts manager at a car dealership and the owner built a brand new building that was way nicer and modern looking. We moved into the building too early. They were still building the damn place. They had not even built my parts counter. I didn't have all my shelving up or my parts stocked yet. The owner was eager to start a return on his investment. After about a week the County building inspector stop by. Three of them and did a walk-through that apparently was a surprise. They wrote us up for several violations and told us to shut down. The owner was called. He got there pretty quick, maybe 10 minutes and met with the county guys. They talked for a few minutes and went into an office close the door pulled the blinds. The entire dealership had shut down and we were standing around wondering what to do. 45 minutes later they came out of the office everybody with big smiles on their faces and the owner said we were cleared to re-open. So just like that we had suddenly been cleared of the violations and that was that. We all knew what had happened and kind of joked about it for several weeks.

A long time ago I was the parts manager at a car dealership and the owner built a brand new building that was way nicer and modern looking. We moved into the building too early. They were still building the damn place. They had not even built my parts counter. I didn't have all my shelving up or my parts stocked yet. The owner was eager to start a return on his investment. After about a week the County building inspector stop by. Three of them and did a walk-through that apparently was a surprise. They wrote us up for several violations and told us to shut down. The owner was called. He got there pretty quick, maybe 10 minutes and met with the county guys. They talked for a few minutes and went into an office close the door pulled the blinds. The entire dealership had shut down and we were standing around wondering what to do. 45 minutes later they came out of the office everybody with big smiles on their faces and the owner said we were cleared to re-open. So just like that we had suddenly been cleared of the violations and that was that. We all knew what had happened and kind of joked about it for several weeks.

Kid.gif

Actually I do.
By the end of the day, the drivers will gladly dump what's left over in the barrel. The dont want to drag it back plus hey can use a little drinking money.
Just don't make it inconvenient for them and be prepared to spread it very very fast.

By the end of the day, the drivers will gladly dump what's left over in the barrel. The dont want to drag it back plus hey can use a little drinking money.
Just don't make it inconvenient for them and be prepared to spread it very very fast.
Hum.....

In 1991, there was a local lawyer in the next town over that figured he could skate the zoning laws and build a house that was too big for the area. They fought for years and then the town just said "screw it" and tore the place down. They arrested his wife for violating a court order and once she was clear of the place, the place was bulldozed.

$750K (in 1991) house.

Throwback Thursday: Roger Scott's house finally demolished

Finale to Zoning Opera

In 1991, there was a local lawyer in the next town over that figured he could skate the zoning laws and build a house that was too big for the area. They fought for years and then the town just said "screw it" and tore the place down. They arrested his wife for violating a court order and once she was clear of the place, the place was bulldozed.

$750K (in 1991) house.

Throwback Thursday: Roger Scott's house finally demolished

Finale to Zoning Opera
That's an expensive mistake.

Back