Tire pressure?

You are so set in your ways you are afraid to add air to a tire and see how the car drives?
It’s called training. I am not an uneducated baboon. I shouldn’t have to add air to tires beyond what is in the appropriate, approved published literature that applies to my vehicle.

One isolated model is not proof of anything, especially since the Econoline E350 Super Van/Club Wagon had the exact opposite problem and was never widely talked about.

The Nexen 235/75-15 N'Priz AH5 Extra Load white wall max 50 psi tire with a max 2300-pound load rating at 50 psi DOES wear the center when run with 45 psi air pressure on a C body.
Feels good in the turns though.

To keep it simple..
From bias ply to radial add 6 psi.
Basic rule of thumb is whatever the car manufactured tire pressure is in 1957 it would be say 24 or 26 PSI,
Then your new radials can be set at 30 or 32 PSI.
Done.
Kyb shocks do have a firmer ride.
Think about it, going with gas charged shocks and radial tires, which are a great improvement, one cannot expect the same ride with oil fillled shocks and skinny bias ply tires.
Hope this helps.

Anyone want to chime in on whether it's dangerous to increase my tire pressure and will it actually smooth the ride? My tire max at 1700 pnds each is 51psi.

To keep it simple..
From bias ply to radial add 6 psi.
Basic rule of thumb is whatever the car manufactured tire pressure is in 1957 it would be say 24 or 26 PSI,
Then your new radials can be set at 30 or 32 PSI.
Done.
Kyb shocks do have a firmer ride.
Think about it, going with gas charged shocks and radial tires, which are a great improvement, one cannot expect the same ride with oil fillled shocks and skinny bias ply tires.
Hope this helps.
So I guess the road feel is being transmitted to the steering wheel more by the tires? Or shocks?

Your car was born with bias ply tires. You are now running radial ply tires, so you cannot use the factory air pressure recommendation.
Bias ply tires have a stiffer sidewall than the radials do.
You need more pressure to provide the support that the stiffer sidewalls provided back then. The radial tires are more flexible.
Don't be afraid to play with the pressure to see what suits your needs the best, just do not go over the max pressure on the sidewall.
The road feel is mostly by the tires and suspension bushings. The shocks really don't come into play on a smooth road unless their bushings are worn out.
Tire tread patterns also can cause different feel on different pavement, as well as different noise levels.

You said you have thirty pounds in them now. I would try going up a couple of pounds at a time and see how you like it. I've had several 57 and 58 Plymouths with new radials, and I found that 30 to 32 pounds usually worked fine.

So I guess the road feel is being transmitted to the steering wheel more by the tires? Or shocks?
A combination of both, but mostly from the radial tires.
The shocks job is to keep the tires planted to the ground.
The firmer the shock,the more road feel FROM the tires.

Avocado oil. It has the highest smoke point, so you would be less likely to see smoke rising from the engine when the valve covers leak.
That is, of course, unless it leaks directly on the exhaust manifold; then all bets are off.

Avocado oil. It has the highest smoke point, so you would be less likely to see smoke rising from the engine when the valve covers leak.
That is, of course, unless it leaks directly on the exhaust manifold; then all bets are off.

I rarely rinse my manifolds with oil. But when I do, I use full synthetic because it has the best heat resistance.

I'm beginning to think we need to post a warning not to do this. Or in some cases, suggest they do it...

l8CWs8o.jpg

Back