Torque Converter

NDSWEDE

Reaction score
Getting the transmission rebuilt. My question is do I send in the original converter for a rebuild or put in an aftermarket. The car is used for cruising. Motor 383(4 Barrel) 2.76 gear.
All feedback Greatly appreciated. Thanks

Price the cost to have yours rebuilt and the cost for a stock (12") replacement. You don't want an aftermarket converter with a higher stall speed unless your engine is highly modified.

If you can get your converter rebuilt, not an "exchange unit", that might be an option. At the very least, get your existing converter flushed. In the rebuild, they'll open it up (at the weld seams) and should replace any bushings/bearings that are wear areas. AND get some sort of manufacturer's warranty for what they do.

Or if everything seems to be working fine, the trans has been serviced somewhat regularly, then a basic flush might be the minimum to get done.

Getting into the aftermarket can do more harm than having the bragging rights of having the particular brand of converter AND its stall speed. For what you're doing, no need for that stuff, by observation.

Just some thoughts,
CBODY67

Unless the transmission has some extreme wear, signs of extremely high heat or broken parts due to drop shifts and if the splines are good, A good flush is probably all you need. 10 years ago it was around $40 at a transmission rebuilder. Now $60?

I say go with rebuilding your tc, just had my tranny redone and that's what I did. At least you know it will last, as it's lasted this long. Too many unknown quantities when relying on a TCI, B&M, etc. Especially since this is for cruising and you aren't looking for some crazy stall. Just my two cents, but I say dance with who bring ya.

Transmission shop has been in business for years said its getting tougher to find rebuilt TC is sending it in for rebuild. Thanks for the input. This sight is great for people working on the old C body!

Back