Upper Ball Joints

68plymouth383

Reaction score
Alright guys, I'm needing some help. I completely rebuilt my 68 fury front end in 2012 using all virgin suspension parts. I went with moog k772 upper ball joints. They threaded in the upper control arm, and seated fine. The issue now is after swapping to discs I bought a new pair of moog upper ball joints k772 and the self tapping threads are too shallow to bite. They spin... I bolted in the fa395 from auto zone, and after 10 miles I can already feel the looseness. I'm looking for quality upper ball joints that have threads that bite. What are my options? The upper control arms are in excellent condition, and they are not the problem. As wear just isn't there.

The new stuff is garbage. I ended up tack welding the last new joint in that I put in the Imp and then found a used UCA with a decent used original joint still in it so I popped my new bushings out of my original UCA into the doner and called it good. So what I’m saying is that a 50 year old used original ball joint is better then the new junk.

My made in the USA MOOG uppers are nice new pieces that installed nicely . It was my control arm that stripped.

Are you sure they were made in the USA?
Where are Moog parts made? The answer may surprise you! - Suspension.com
and how long do you think your new ones will last compared to when they actually were made well with quality materials.
I think that if two of the same parts are made in two different countries the parts will still be the same quality which is not as good as they used to be. My .02.

Yes, most of the parts were. A few made in Mexico which I consider a few steps above China made.
How long? Not sure.

Why did you change the ball joints when you did the brakes? 6 year old ball joints should still be like new unless you've managed to put 150,000 miles on it in that time.

Do you still have the Moog joints you installed in 2012? I'd take it with me to compare to another new Moog one. It wouldn't be the first time that the wrong part got put in the right box. Maybe a B-Body joint misboxed if they use a different one?

When you said it just spins do you mean finger tight or you used the socket and it stripped?

Did the AutoZone joint screw in solid? If the loose you are feeling is the threaded part, your control arms are likely FUBAR now. Any movement there will wipe out the threads as you drove it.

Kevin

Because when I pickle forked them out to swap spindles they got marred up.

The autozone ones are loose meaning the slop between the ball, and stem. I can feel a noticeable difference in cornering, and tightness between what I had, and what's on there now. Both sets of moog said made in USA on the boxes

Why did you change the ball joints when you did the brakes? 6 year old ball joints should still be like new unless you've managed to put 150,000 miles on it in that time.

Do you still have the Moog joints you installed in 2012? I'd take it with me to compare to another new Moog one. It wouldn't be the first time that the wrong part got put in the right box. Maybe a B-Body joint misboxed if they use a different one?

When you said it just spins do you mean finger tight or you used the socket and it stripped?

Did the AutoZone joint screw in solid? If the loose you are feeling is the threaded part, your control arms are likely FUBAR now. Any movement there will wipe out the threads as you drove it.

Kevin

I’ve put over 200 miles on my UCA ball joints. Went together nicely and no play when driving. Rides much better than they did

That's the only way to get the stem off the spindle to my knowledge.
I don’t use the pickle fork unless I know I’m replacing the joint. A ball joint removal tool and some sharp blows with a bfh in the right place will get them out without so much as tearing a boot.

We do offer the upper ball joints that you are looking for. They are $28 a piece and shipping is free within the US 48 states. All product that we sell is made to meet or exceed oem standards and it backed by our lifetime limited warranty for as long as you own the vehicle. We have been using the same manufacturer for this component for the past 30 years and have worked closely with them to ensure the highest quality product.

Thanks
James From
PST Marketing

Alright guys, here's an update. I found 2 nos trw upper ball joints. They are perfect. The AutoZone joints were so inferior that the passenger side stud would not release from the spindle. I'm sure most will ask me what technic I was using. After taking apart 8 c body front ends, I'd say I know what I'm doing. I spent literally all day on 1 side. The good news is the trw joints threaded right in to the upper control arm, and the self tapping threads bit hard. No play at all. Thanks for all y'alls help.

Back