Vert Daily Driver "North East"

Cortez

Reaction score
I have a 67 300 Convertible and I am seriously considering making her THE daily driver. I like in PA and was wondering if anyone else with a convertible in this climate drives theirs year round. If so anything I need to consider, of course no snow driving but otherwise?

20181008_105033.jpg

I live further north and east than you but I am very familiar with PA winter roads, there is no good argument for keeping the car on the road past November. Even on dry winter days salt and sand dust will do a lot of unwanted damage to your car - just my 2 cents worth

Last edited:
My introduction to C bodys, (well, sort of), was a 64 Chrysler 300 that I pulled out of long term storage, fixed and drove as my DD for three years. Of course I live in a area that is a 12 month driving period. No worries about snow & salt.

300 on deck.JPG

It's your car but for me ,no salt or sand on the roads ,no moisture of any kind ,snow or rain on the road. Driving on wet roads with salt mixed in and god forbid a heated garage will turn your car into iron oxide in a hurry. My opinion only.

I have a 67 300 Convertible and I am seriously considering making her THE daily driver. I like in PA and was wondering if anyone else with a convertible in this climate drives theirs year round. If so anything I need to consider, of course no snow driving but otherwise?

View attachment 297674
That is way to nice of a car to subject it to winter driving.

I drove my 68 Monaco daily in Washington state for 3 years. They never salted where I lived and I saw one snow storm the whole time I lived there.

You wouldn’t catch my 67 out past October in Connecticut. ... and that would be in my driveway. I’m assuming PA is no different.

It’s your car but for me, she’s got enough damage from getting wet outside in Texas over the course of her life. She’d be screwed in no time if I drove her year round.

I live in SoCal and would never consider daily driving by '65 300 'vert. Too much time, effort and money went into the restoration to risk getting plowed by some FOB yahoo with no license and a $2 car; way too crowded here. Besides, I prefer the creature comforts of modern cars for day to day tasks and the top goes down on mine so why bother with the 54 year old technology?

IMG_2244.jpg
Jag First Day.jpg

It's your car but for me ,no salt or sand on the roads ,no moisture of any kind ,snow or rain on the road. Driving on wet roads with salt mixed in and god forbid a heated garage will turn your car into iron oxide in a hurry. My opinion only.

I changed my mind ,Just Don't Do It! Buy a corolla for the winter and crappy weather. If I saw you in PA driving a beautiful old classic and especially a convertible in the winter I would think you're a :soapbox::mob::BangHead::wtf::realcrazy:

Last edited:
My 70 Polara and 68 Monaco mostly hibernate from November to March. I will turn the wheels mid-winter IF the roads are completely dry. That didn't happen this past winter.

View attachment 297674
Ahh... Driving a convertible has its own set of issues. The first question to ask is if it is reasonably watertight. A soggy car can get smelly.

Next is security. A razor knife will get access in seconds and leave you with a cut too too.

The big one though, is insurance. Collector car insurance isn't really for a dd, but you know people do get away with it.

So, your call. I drive my cars when I can, but I know that a few minutes in Wal-Mart parking lot can end up with dings and dents. You have to weigh the risks.

I live in SoCal and would never consider daily driving by '65 300 'vert. Too much time, effort and money went into the restoration to risk getting plowed by some FOB yahoo with no license and a $2 car; way too crowded here. Besides, I prefer the creature comforts of modern cars for day to day tasks and the top goes down on mine so why bother with the 54 year old technology?

View attachment 297680 View attachment 297681

Agreed. My ‘69 Polara stays garaged, but top goes down on my daily driver, too - certainly not as exotic or sexy as yours!

0805365D-6D8D-4651-9D6B-26AD0BA8C796.jpeg

4D463940-3385-4011-B4AC-1FA78F56C00A.png

View attachment 297680 View attachment 297681

Show off. . .

Winter driving destroys cars, period. A good example of this was my dad's '68 Fury III sedan. It was junked in '77 with only 67,000 miles on it because the frame was rusted.

Winter driving destroys cars, period. A good example of this was my dad's '68 Fury III sedan. It was junked in '77 with only 67,000 miles on it because the frame was rusted.

My 68 has some frame rust, but not beyond repair. Mine is a daily. It has some scrapes and dings from previous owner, so I don’t see the harm using it for a work commute. It is very relaxing riding the backroads home.

I maintain a healthy following distance. People in modern cars will slam their brakes and my manual drums are not made for that. So, I cruise along and let everyone go around.

I did almost get hit head on two days ago. On my way to work and a 3/4 ton work truck was in a lot of my lane. Yahoo was probably trying to play candy crush while driving.

My 66 300 only goes out if I can put the top down. October to April it is on jack stands in a garage.

Back