What is the difference between a SFGT and a S23?

1978 NYB

Warfighter
Legendary Member
Reaction score
I'm new here.....LOL.

Anyways.....what is the difference between a SFGT and a Sport Fury S23?

I was going to ask in the thread where Stan posted this graphic but I think it'll be easier to reference in the future as a stand alone thread.

picsart_01-08-08-10-33-jpg.67884

Not sure of other differences, but it's mostly 383 in S23 and 440 in GT.

FWIW, I've only ever seen 2 S23 Furys. One was a driver that had seen better days and the other was an orange one that was beautiful.

The standard engine was the 318 in the s23 383 optional. You couldn't get the 440 in the S23.
Obviously the stripes were different, I don't believe the exhaust tips were available on the 23 either.
I am also certain the suspension on the GT was heavy duty standard , not so on the 23

I didn't know the 318 was standard. The two I saw were 383 versions. Learn something new every day.

I did a google search and found this. The orange car in the pic is the one I've seen. I think the guy's name that owned it was Dwight Heinzman. I may be wrong on that. He might even still have it.

The other s23 was green. A new hire at the place I worked had it and I had my SFGT at the time and was surprised to see it in the parking lot next to mine. That was way before we all had cell phones, so no pics. He didn't last long there and it was just another car to him. Both cars had the bucket seat interior and were 383 powered.

Plymouth Sport Fury S/23 Resources

The Orange car is the one everyone knows about. I have seen very few of thses and the ones I have seen were for the most part in not so good condition.
The orange S23 was for sale at Carlisle many many times. I seem to recall when I first saw it people mocking the eleven thousand dollar price tag. Didnt this car get close to thirty last time it sold?

1970 Fury S23 right rear 192138.jpg

The first time I saw that car was probably close to 20 years ago. It was really nice.

I'll dig around and see if I can find my pics and get them scanned.

The standard engine was the 318 in the s23 383 optional. You couldn't get the 440 in the S23.
Obviously the stripes were different, I don't believe the exhaust tips were available on the 23 either.
I am also certain the suspension on the GT was heavy duty standard , not so on the 23
Correct, the 318 was standard for the S/23 package.

Does anybody have a picture of that S/23 emblem on the trunk?

Is the emblem for the SFGT different?

Same as police car suspension?

I'm new here.....LOL.

Anyways.....what is the difference between a SFGT and a Sport Fury S23?

I was going to ask in the thread where Stan posted this graphic but I think it'll be easier to reference in the future as a stand alone thread.

picsart_01-08-08-10-33-jpg.67884

Positioning within the line up.
You are a Super Bee guy so I'll use the Dodge line up as a rough analogy. The Plymouth line up is a little different compared to Dodge as there were six Plymouths available and five Dodges based on the Coronet platform. There are six Dodges if you toss the Charger in there but it was not included in the Coronet line up.

GT = Coronet R/T. Top of the line trim and performance car with large CID engine options.
S/23 = The XP Charger. Sporty trim but limited to 318 standard with 383 optional so as to not cut into GT performance car sales. Two door only.
Sport Fury = A blend of the XS Charger R/T and Coronet 500 in the Plymouth line up. Mid/high level trim, Sporty positioning; 318 standard yet the 440 was optional. Available in 2 and 4 door
Fury III = Coronet 500
Fury II - Coronet 440
Fury I = Coronet Deluxe

Back