What is This Symbol Mean?

azblackhemi

Old Man with a Hat
Reaction score
This warning light on this Ram truck. Does it mean don't stand behind me because I'm gonna fart or does it mean something else?
387824451_10218811328913834_1089381860154637710_n.jpg

Your vehicle has a diesel particulate filter and that symbol is telling you that it is going to regenerate it. During the regeneration, if you are not moving, the computer will raise the engine rpm and get the exhaust very hot. Our RV, Bruno has a system that does this. Bruno doesn’t need DEF and I suspect that they were doing this to avoid DEF.

Check your owners manual.

Your vehicle has a diesel particulate filter and that symbol is telling you that it is going to regenerate it. During the regeneration, if you are not moving, the computer will raise the engine rpm and get the exhaust very hot. Our RV, Bruno has a system that does this. Bruno doesn’t need DEF and I suspect that they were doing this to avoid DEF.

Check your owners manual.
Actually it's not my truck. I'm just starting to consider getting a newer truck and saw this picture in an ad I was looking at. Sorry for not giving more detail.

That's not the regen symbol. That's the exhaust brake symbol.
Regen:
Diesel_Particulate_Filter_Light_1_Diesel_particulate_filter_light.jpeg.jpg

Exhaust brake:
maxresdefault.jpg

That said, there should be a button in the centre that looks the same. It activates it.

It's a light that comes on to tell you to regen your vehicle, if equipped. Most passenger diesels do this automatically. That light might not come on ever until the DPF is plugged beyond the regens ability. Meaning it's time to replace the DPF. One of the JD tractors at work has a button to press if the light comes on, forced regen. The tractor doesn't automatically regen, and if you don't do it periodically, this light will come on to tell you the DPF is getting full and the tractor will go into limp mode. At that point you have no choice but to force a regen.
The operator at work just regens the tractor every Friday before end of shift.

It's a light that comes on to tell you to regen your vehicle, if equipped. Most passenger diesels do this automatically. That light might not come on ever until the DPF is plugged beyond the regens ability. Meaning it's time to replace the DPF. One of the JD tractors at work has a button to press if the light comes on, forced regen. The tractor doesn't automatically regen, and if you don't do it periodically, this light will come on to tell you the DPF is getting full and the tractor will go into limp mode. At that point you have no choice but to force a regen.
The operator at work just regens the tractor every Friday before end of shift.
That’s the light that I was thinking about. Our RV does it on condition and I have seen it come on while driving. After a period of time, it goes off.

I haven’t experienced it coming on while parked with the engine running.

I work with diesels and heavy equipment everyday and have the past 15 years. That light is an indicator to delete that overpriced useless bullshit and sell it to a scrapper where it belongs. Delete it, put in a low tune and enjoy what the truck should be and how much happier the truck is. Plus you'll get much better fuel economy.

California Truck Parts Manufacturer Sinister Diesel Agrees to Pay $1 Million After Pleading Guilty to Conspiracy and for Manufacturing and Selling Illegal Defeat Devices | US EPA

I work with diesels and heavy equipment everyday and have the past 15 years. That light is an indicator to delete that overpriced useless bullshit and sell it to a scrapper where it belongs. Delete it, put in a low tune and enjoy what the truck should be and how much happier the truck is. Plus you'll get much better fuel economy.

LOL.

California... Say no more. Not much of a conspiracy either when it's first hand experience. You can tell a night and day difference in owning one.

“For close to ten years, Sinister Diesel sold parts designed to override or disable the emissions control systems on trucks,” said Principal Deputy Assistant Administrator Larry Starfield for the Environmental Protection Agency’s (EPA) Office of Enforcement and Compliance Assurance. “EPA testing has shown that a vehicle altered with these parts can emit more than 100 times the amount of certain harmful air pollutants, compared to a vehicle with an intact emissions control system. This case shows that we will aggressively prosecute those who manufacture and sell devices designed to defeat vehicle emissions controls.”

Taken from the above EPA website.

Sorry man. I'm a farmer. Epa can kiss my ***. They want to keep that revenue coming in for def and regen failures every few years. A property tuned diesel doesn't "roll coal" you won't see them run this **** on military grade vehicles. Because it's unreliable.

Back