What to do? Another car comes home

Parts car or fun car?

• Total voters
Well, not what I was hoping for. It's been off the road since 74-75, and who knows how long in the mud it's buried in. The passenger door and maybe the drivers are the only good sheet metal on the car. Fenders and quarters are shot as is the trunk. Has one bucket different from the other, a 500 style in the driver's spot and I don't know what In the passengers. Has a console covered with moss, take A LOT of cleaning to maybe work the hood has rust and the trunk is dented. 383 is seized. Stub frame is in the muddy earth. Bumpers are shot in rear and bent in front. Has some good trim pieces and the glass looks to be in good condition, but I just glanced at the windows. No rear window, and that's when I knew the interior was going to be not so good.

Turbine Bronze car, black interior, would have looked sweet back in the day.

I declined his price for the whole car, but we agreed on a price for the emblems, door mirror and the steering column. I'll think about it til the weekend and throw him an offer for the whole car. Not much to take off the car that doesn't need a lot of attention to get it looking ok. Dash pad looked good, but we couldn't open the driver's door so that didn't help. Lots of oil to lubricate all kinds of crap.

Funny thing is there is a 500 emblem on the driver's fender, passenger side missing, but other than the driver's seat it sure doesn't look like it. I could be wrong. Did the 500's have a plain seatback for the rear seat, or was it the bucket mimicking style like a 300 with buckets, where it dips in the center?

View attachment 128404

View attachment 128405

View attachment 128406

View attachment 128407

View attachment 128408

View attachment 128409

View attachment 128410
Sorry for the disappointment, but she's still a find when you can get parts from her.

Far better for you to save what you can than for it to continue rotting away. Shame, but some of it will live on
Best of luck to you.
If I had space, and time, which I have neither, if bring it home. Can't justify it though.

I guess not. Looking at other Polaras for sale I found more with the DL23 vin with the 500 emblems. Time to learn some more.
Yeah, the 500 is just a trim package on the Polara, so it would still be a DL.

What cleans moss off of a console? I'd hate to leave it in the car, but don't want to take it if I can't clean it. Any suggestions?

Moss should come off pretty easily, except for the carpeting which you'd likely have to replace.

I'll admit I've not tried to clean one up like that, but the stuff I have taken moss off of it came off pretty easy, just a brush and mild soapy water. Of course it's hard to tell just what shape the underlying stuff is in which may have some impact.

I'll admit I've not tried to clean one up like that, but the stuff I have taken moss off of it came off pretty easy, just a brush and mild soapy water. Of course it's hard to tell just what shape the underlying stuff is in which may have some impact.
It's been growing into the dirt for close to 20 years. Wasn't too bad, but not the best. I didn't take any pics from the door I could get in. Now I'm trying to convince Laura that the console is worth grabbing.

Back