What to do? Another car comes home

Parts car or fun car?

• Total voters

LocuMob

Fluid Technician with a hat
Reaction score
For Sale - 66 Dodge Polara Body $900

So, well, I bought the car. I was planning on using the whole front end as a replacement for my less than perfect sheet metal and stub frame. Bumper grille core support everything, except the inner fenders. The springs came through the trunk and the lower rear quarters have had some shoddy bodywork done to them so.the extensions might need some attention too. Even the interior could donate it's bench seat so I would finally have a correct front seat while I wait to get my buckets redone and my console installed.

Then my friend had to be a, pal let's say, and says I should back half the car. I know the purists here will cringe, but it would be fun and you don't see that every day. Either way it will be a lot of work talking off 2 front ends and putting one back on. And tubbing a car will be a chore as well.

So what do you think? I'm up in the air and thought I'd ask the fine folks on FCBO what they would do.

Last edited:
I would stick with your original plan. It's really not that much work to swap sheet metal around....just time consuming more then anything.

I have been down those roads of having too many projects, and you just get stretched too thin...time. money and motivation. I prefer to focus on one at a time if I can now.

For Sale - 66 Dodge Polara Body $900

So, well, I bought the car. I was planning on using the whole front end as a replacement for my less than perfect sheet metal and stub frame. Bumper grille core support everything, except the inner fenders. The springs came through the trunk and the lower rear quarters have had some shoddy bodywork done to them so.the extensions might need some attention too. Even the interior could donate it's bench seat so I would finally have a correct front seat while I wait to get my buckets redone and my console installed.

Then my friend had to be a, pal let's say, and says I should back half the car. I know the purists here will cringe, but it would be fun and you don't see that every day. Either way it will be a lot of work talking off 2 front ends and putting one back on. And tubbing a car will be a chore as well.

So what do you think? I'm up in the air and thought I'd ask the fine folks on FCBO what they would do.

My son located a 66 Polara wagon 3 speed on column yesterday for $1800 in Pittsburg. I was half asleep when he told me. If you're interested let me know and i'll get some details.
Tom Denkler

I would stick with your original plan. It's really not that much work to swap sheet metal around....just time consuming more then anything.

I have been down those roads of having too many projects, and you just get stretched too thin...time. money and motivation. I prefer to focus on one at a time if I can now.
I'm with Brian on this.

The springs came through the trunk

There's your answer right there... You are going to spend more time chasing the rust than building the car. If you want to "back half" a car, start with something more solid.

It's a parts car... Finish what you started first. If swapping sheet metal sounds like a lot of work, you aren't prepared to build another car.

One thing really bothers me... There was no mention of the springs having come through the trunk in the ad.

I would have to say to stick with the original plan, I've had so many projects for so long and none went anywhere except for pieces I'd pick up all along. I've let a couple go now, and need to lose more but it's hard to "give up".

Last edited:
You are going to spend more time chasing the rust than building the car. If you want to "back half" a car, start with something more solid.
Other than where the springs came through, it looks pretty good, the pan looks solid between the frame rails and even outside the rails near the rotted out perches doesn't look too bad. I say "looks" cause I haven't seen it in person, I'll get a better assessment when I get the car next month.

If swapping sheet metal sounds like a lot of work, you aren't prepared to build another car.
I'm just saying it's not an oil change. I can swap the sheet metal in a couple of days, the stub frame a few more.

As for the back half, I have friends that can help and should have plenty o good metal.to work with. The trunk will need to be fabricated so that's not an issue. Yeah the lower quarters are a mystery, but I don't think that's enough to say it would be a no go.

I don't know the proper state of the car, but on the premise it has the floors in good shape, the trunk isn't an issue. But I hear and understand your points.

Some pics of the trunk to clarify.

IMG956355.jpg

IMG956357.jpg

IMG956368.jpg

IMG956361.jpg

IMG956359.jpg

And the lower rear quarters.

IMG956337.jpg

IMG956341.jpg

I don't have any pics of he floor under the seat but the seller said he thought it was a lot more solid than he was thinking it would be.

If you did not have a c body and it had a title maybe, but your really just stealing time from your Dart to turn this into a running car of any sort.

If you did not have a c body and it had a title maybe, but your really just stealing time from your Dart to turn this into a running car of any sort.
The story of my old Mopar life... Title would be easy to get in Minnesota, I'd just have to wait.

I could sell the remaining shell to a co-worker who claims he only needs quarters and a roof for a full chassis car to build. Take all I want and recoup a large chunk of the original price. He just mentioned it last night while we were looking at my car at work.

Well you can sell current cars and back half that one sell the house buy a twin turbo 572 hemi and move to OKC and try to get on the top ten list.

Or just parts grab and let your Co-worker get part of it done and store it then buy it back and finish it.

When did you find this car? I just talked about road tripping in the future back to Iowa and you bought a car from there. Love it.:D

Back