What's the top speed you have driven in your C-body?

1968 Plymouth Fury I Cert-Speedo Pined.jpg

With the 6bbl 440 motor I could back off 1/4 of the gas pedal before the needle would come off 'Pinned'.
@6,500 rpm max rev's on a new Stewart Warner electronic tach with 3.23 gears and very tall Michelin X radials.
As I have said before with my 2nd 1968 PK21 original 440 motor the secondary's on the small Holley (650cfm?) would not start to open up until the needle would be going past 120mph to a easy 'Pin'.

The original 383 4bbl in the 1st PK21 would pin the speedometer but that would be about it via the owner I bought the car from.

(no jokes about the parked needle please as it's a stock photo)

Just shy of 120 before I backed off. With 2.76 gears I think there was still more to come.

Asking how fast someone's car went is like asking how big the fish was. A coworker once swore he took his '52 Pontiac to Daytona (completely stock with flathead 8) & did a lap at 127mph.

Asking how fast someone's car went is like asking how big the fish was. A coworker once swore he took his '52 Pontiac to Daytona (completely stock with flathead 8) & did a lap at 127mph.
Maybe he was in the draft?

Possibly he had Brad Keselowski giving him a push
That could be true but the Pontiac would have to be in neutral. Those old flatheads needed really low gears to get them rolling, typically something like 4.10. Combined with a redline of about 4000 RPM, top end speed was not a selling point. At 127mph the thing would have to be turning close to 7000 RPM which I pointed out to the guy. He took great offense & said I was full of sh*t. I did learn a lesson, never question fish stories.

1645590243620.png

This 52 pontiac ?? :).

That could be true but the Pontiac would have to be in neutral. Those old flatheads needed really low gears to get them rolling, typically something like 4.10. Combined with a redline of about 4000 RPM, top end speed was not a selling point. At 127mph the thing would have to be turning close to 7000 RPM which I pointed out to the guy. He took great offense & said I was full of sh*t. I did learn a lesson, never question fish stories.
I remember that guy and that BS story. The Pontiac guys was "Full of Sh*t", not PH27L7.
My error, apologies.

Last edited:
knebel , it has all its lugs . just one loose nut behind the wheel , lol ! this twin fours ran better than the ford 500 cfm mech carbs on a 383 6 pck intake . .

DSC00961.JPG

DSC00958.JPG

DSC00963.JPG

Hey stranger! So exactly how fast is that 300? Timed at Daytona
A little shy of that 127 of that legendary Pontiac, I'd estimate about 90, hard to tell with an 85 MPH speedo on
Rt. 28 International Speedway.
The Scat went 129 (no BS) last fall though up on 28.

I'll start by saying I don't know how fast I had my first 68 NYer going in the early 90's. We merged into traffic on I-20 outside of Abilene TX at over 70. The speedo went past 120 till she could go no further and she was still noticeably gaining speed and the pedal wasn't even on the floor. I don't think I ever want to go that fast in one of these cars again.

105mph, 76 NYB 440.
Passing a semi on a crowned 2 lane.
The engine easily had more.
My heart didn't when the 70's yacht suspension was maxed out.

127 verified by gps. Between Mountain Home and Garvin store, Tx. Went 120 for @ 12miles with no problem. Slowed to make turn and motor seized up. Mopar b engines not made to run that fast that long. Oiling system engineering flaw.

6520B30A-0C76-416B-A75C-E4C046F95243.jpeg

Back in 1969, I was late leaving for work one morning, and did the 30 min. highway drive in about 15min., in my '66 Fury1 Police Special (318 Poly and H.D.727). Shortly after, one of the town Constables, a regular customer at the shop, came in to Parts, and asked if I had made it to work on time. I said "just barely", and he told me that when I flew past where he was hiding, he had clocked me on Radar at 135. A couple of years later, on the same road, in the middle of a bitter cold winter night, on a straight, level stretch of about 2 miles, myself and 3 buddies got my '69 300 up to what we all agreed was about 140-150. The speedo needle couldn't go any further, and the 300 was still accelerating. I really miss those two Mopars.

Lads --
Back on November 24, 1965, when courting "that girl," I drove my '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed (no A/C or PS) from my apartment in Albuquerque, New Mexico, to my dad's driveway in Pueblo, Colorado, (about 310 miles) via Santa Fe, Taos, Colorado's San Luis Valley (very flat and straight), La Veta Pass (an easy three-lane road), and Walsenburg in slightly less than three hours. A few years ago, shortly after I picked up the twin to that car (same color, engine, trans, etc.) and took it down I-25 south of Colorado Springs and easily pegged its 120 MPH speedometer.
On January 19, 2007, on that same stretch of highway, I celebrated my '57 Chrysler 300C's 50th birthday by nudging the 150 mark, but I think the actual speed was more like 145 max with that old speedo.
I've had my SonoRamic Commando '60 Fury easily up to the end of its 120 speedometer on that straight stretch a few times. On the one-mile banked oval of Pikes Peak International Raceway in August 2002, I did about 90 which I thought was really pushing the envelope as it gave me a totally new appreciation of serious racing. I did have another '60 Fury which I abused from 1960 to 1964 on a few dragstrips (ram 383, Hedman Hedders, 4.10 gears), but the best I could with it in the quarter was about 95 or so. Unfortunately, my dad didn't look too favorably on my NHRA endeavors and he pitched all my trophies, timing slips, etc. after I got married (to "that girl" by the way) as he didn't think "evidence" of such a nature was a good influence on his grandchildren (and my kids).
Joe Godec
'57 Chrysler 300C, '60 Fury SonoRamic, '65 Vette Fuelie, '65 Sport Fury 426S/4-speed

Back