What's the top speed you have driven in your C-body?

Howdy All back in 78/79 my mother had a 74 fury NY State pursuit 440etc. With her puttering around it would get carboned up, I would take it out for a speed run 130/135 was the top speed. Fast forward to today I've had my 70 Newport Vert to just over 110, a newer Chrysler 300c tried to pass, they were unsuccessful. The Fury had a certified speedo.

1974 Imperial, stock drivetrain, 2.76s...115 mph. Had more pedal available and she was still pulling, but the luxo barge suspension, tires etc was not designed for my shenanigans and I backed off before I died.

1972 Plymouth Fury I ex RCMP pursuit package, stock drivetrain (440), 3.23s...120 mph with a lot left (no I did not pin the 140 mph certified speedo...but it felt like it could). I had this car in university and the tires and overall maintenance was not what it should have been (broke student) so, knowing this, I again backed off and survived to drive another day, LOL!

I probably have not ever pushed my 69 300 over 80 but I have probably done that towing a trailer.

I took my old 73 road runner down a narrow two lane road at 135 ish. I was to scared to grab a look past 130. I had thought that road to be flat and perfectly straight. It wasn't and I needed the whole damn road. I eased out of it and never did that again. I found out it was no trans am.

I have had my 68 Coronet to a confirmed 135 per
The county sheriff. I felt no ill effect but it was a good road and was actually flat and I was in a rage of anger chasing a Nova that blew my doors off when I was half asleep on the commute home at 2:00 a.m.
Dont know how fast he got up to. He didnt stop when the lights came on.

Back in 1969, I was late leaving for work one morning, and did the 30 min. highway drive in about 15min., in my '66 Fury1 Police Special (318 Poly and H.D.727). Shortly after, one of the town Constables, a regular customer at the shop, came in to Parts, and asked if I had made it to work on time. I said "just barely", and he told me that when I flew past where he was hiding, he had clocked me on Radar at 135. A couple of years later, on the same road, in the middle of a bitter cold winter night, on a straight, level stretch of about 2 miles, myself and 3 buddies got my '69 300 up to what we all agreed was about 140-150. The speedo needle couldn't go any further, and the 300 was still accelerating. I really miss those two Mopars.
KMPH?

Just curious, cars without major upgrades that you have owned.

I'll go first, '71 Fury III 360 stock other than electronic ignition, 105 mph.

Was still digging but I didn't push to go any faster in a car that's 50 years old.
I got my 69 300 up to about a hundred (speedometer was showing 110, but the GPS said 100) during the shelter at home days. That was all she had. She's gotten a tune-up since then, but other issues have kept me from unwinding her again.

I got my 69 300 up to about a hundred (speedometer was showing 110, but the GPS said 100) during the shelter at home days. That was all she had. She's gotten a tune-up since then, but other issues have kept me from unwinding her again.
Yea I would think in good tune and the motor in good shape it should be good for 110 to 115.
I don't think Ill try to prove it though.

I absolutely love this car. Any more pics??

20201126_155554-jpg.jpg

20201126_121327-jpg.jpg

Yes sir and thanks. Is it an auto or manual 3 speed? Great car either way.

?

Current 65 SF, 80 MPH. At 55 years, it doesn’t have anything to prove. My original, speedometer only went to 120!

I have hit 100 mph in my Imperial convertible, on the Turner Turnpike between OKC and Tulsa. A car that old, that big and it being a ragtop, I really didn't want to go much faster. There was plenty of pedal left!

My brother-in-law had a '69 Sport Fury with a 383, back in 1979. When he, my brother and I all worked for the same Chrysler dealer, his was the commuter car. And since my sister was the police dispatcher, we knew where the cops were gonna be on any given weekday. We hit 125 mph on a few occasions with that along US 50, which was then just two and three lanes for about 50 miles (we had a 100-mile r/t daily commute then)

Back