Windows No Longer Staying Up

bajajoaquin

Reaction score
My window clutches had gone bad, and I was planning on rebuilding the clutches in the near future. But today, they degraded a little more, and the driver's window no longer stays in the "up" position. I have the FSM.

Can someone help me with the diagnosis? I'm planning on taking off the door panel next weekend and pulling the motor to replace the pucks. I'm assuming the regulator has some issues as well. Is this likely a repair or is it a replace type thing?

This is for your Imperial? I'm going to guess that the springs on the window mechanism are shot, or maybe cracked and broken...so therefore no longer give the window any upwards tension. If I'm remembering the way the 60's mopar PW's work?

If so then rebuilding the motor will do very little to change the situation. Since the motor is not the main mechanical force to hold the window in the up/down position.

Instead of replacing the pucks (which will just self destruct again) take a look at this bulletproof fix Mr. C posted a long time ago. I've used this repair method a couple of times and couldn't be happier with the results. I'm sure the window falling down is because of the pucks being broken. Do the puck repair first and you'll probably discover it was the only problem.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...d-Chrysler-Power-Window-motor-clutch-assembly

BTW, my windows were falling down and I could grab the glass and pull it up or push it down while the pucks were broke. That was the only problem...nothing wrong with the regulator or other door parts.

As Bob suggests, the repair in the link will solve your problems. Mine were doing the same thing in my '67. You don't even need a budget for this repair, just a handful of 1/4-20s!

Instead of replacing the pucks (which will just self destruct again) take a look at this bulletproof fix Mr. C posted a long time ago. I've used this repair method a couple of times and couldn't be happier with the results. I'm sure the window falling down is because of the pucks being broken. Do the puck repair first and you'll probably discover it was the only problem.

http://www.forcbodiesonly.com/mopar...d-Chrysler-Power-Window-motor-clutch-assembly

The standard fix for the pucks is certainly a one fix solution, I am curious though as to why plastic pucks were used in the first place? i had the same problem in my wifes Ford thunderbird (it looks identical internally) and was able to buy a kit for five bucks off ebay which included enough to do two doors, new nylon pucks.

It was a built in shock absorber would be my first guess. The rubber provided a dampening effect when the window came to the top or bottom of its travel. I would also imagine that it added some longevity to the rest of the parts of the regulator but for the way we use the cars today, it's unnecessary.

Yeah, I had planned on using the "modified nuts" rebuild process, either that or a "nylon pucks" solution from the Imperial Yahoo group. (More on that below.)

My fear was that I had put off fixing the pucks, and the work-around of pulling the window up manually had introduced another problem. I wanted to be prepared to look for something specific if it was obvious. So I really appreciate the feedback. You're feeding my hopes!

Regarding the nylon versus nuts: I put a link to the "nut" repair up on the Imperial group, and someone responded that he didn't like replacing the semi-resilient plastic with a hard metal nut. He suggested, and there's a description up on the Imperial Owners site, using nylon spacers which are commonly found at Home Depot. I think it's the same basic idea: you find something that is about the same size, and more durable.

I am glad to hear the feedback from you guys with long-term use. That was one thing I had intended to do: ask about how you felt after a while.

I haven't seen the fix with the nylon pucks, I'll have to check that out to but the fix with MrC's nuts works fantastic for me.

I haven't seen the fix with the nylon pucks, I'll have to check that out to but the fix with MrC's nuts works fantastic for me.

http://imperialclub.org/Repair/Electrical/windows.htm

It's the fifth entry down on the page, "Tip from Carmine." Interesting that he references a rebuild kit from Checker Auto. Since they're no longer in existence, that kind of dates the post, but the info about the nylon washer should still be accurate.

Lots of good info on that site. I read up there, and then come back and ask questions here which aren't quite answered there, or are still a bit unclear.

I've done two window motors with the metal nuts. Works perfect and no regrets.

Back