Would a stock Mopar 4v intake #2205968 make a good match for an Edelbrock 1405?

Gerald Morris

Reaction score
Greetings Wise Moparians!

We're getting a little excited here since getting those 915 heads dressed up and cleaned nice, and I want to know if this intake will play nice with my Edelbrock 1405. I saw on 440source that the 2205968 intake was used on 361 & 383 engines made from 1962 through 1966, which suits the 1965 motor we're now running well. I downloaded and read Edelbrock's nomenclature on the 1405, and it appears to be a perfect match for the 383 w a square bore intake. Given how Mopar used Carter AVS carbs, the ancestor of the 1405, I THINK I have good candidates for a 4 barrel upgrade, with the new heads, and possibly cam and lifter refreshment too.

Have any of you experience and/or knowledge of this precise combination of hardware? I really like the pre-1967 383s, from reading anyway, and admittedly, running this '65 motor for over 6 years, hauling wife and spawn around in desert heat and urban traffic, and STILL having a strong running engine has given me a nigh religious conviction about the 383. But I know I could be wrong. Am I?

I am using an Edelbrock 1406 600 cfm on my stock 66 intake which should be the one you describe. Not sure of the difference between a 1405 and a 1406 but the 1406 runs great on my otherwise very stock 383.

DSCF6228.JPG

1405 and 1406 are almost the same carb. On the outside they are the same. The difference is the 1405 is supposed to give better performance than the 1406. The 1406 is supposed to be better on fuel. I have run them both and I honestly can't tell the difference.

Make sure you have the correct Chrysler linkage on the carb so your kickdown linkage works correctly.

1405 and 1406 are almost the same carb. On the outside they are the same. The difference is the 1405 is supposed to give better performance than the 1406. The 1406 is supposed to be better on fuel. I have run them both and I honestly can't tell the difference.

Make sure you have the correct Chrysler linkage on the carb so your kickdown linkage works correctly.

The 1406 is jetted a little more tightly, and the 1405 is supposed to give better performance to a 383 size motor for that reason. Both have been well commended to me on this Forum and elsewhere, but wanted to check on the intake.

Thank you both!

But I know I could be wrong. Am I?
You are not wrong.
Should be fine.
Another intake to consider is the 68 to 70 "301" casting intake.
It has a little bit more rise and better flowing runners.
I have one on the 66 300 383 with the 1406 carb.
Lots of torque and best average of 18 mpg when we drove it to Carlisle 2016.
Cheers

If you are using this as a daily driver it will work great. If you are looking for more power, then I would go with an aftermarket aluminum manifold.

Just make sure the secondary butterflies clear the openings in the intake.

You are not wrong.
Should be fine.
Another intake to consider is the 68 to 70 "301" casting intake.
It has a little bit more rise and better flowing runners.
I have one on the 66 300 383 with the 1406 carb.
Lots of torque and best average of 18 mpg when we drove it to Carlisle 2016.
Cheers

What you tell me agrees w the data I've read on these 2 respective intakes. Since I already own the older of them, I'm going to bead blast, resurface, paint and use that one. I DREAM of taking our C body on the highway for a Road Trip someday! ALL I've known since the Fall of 2016 has been ugly urban driving. We're looking for another '66 too. We have plenty parts for one after all, though I want a few more running engines ready around here.

Just make sure the secondary butterflies clear the openings in the intake.

BIG thanks! I will, one way or another. Edelbrock makes a square bore adapter plate for older intakes I believe, just as they do one for the spreadbore stuff that came w the TQ.

If you are using this as a daily driver it will work great. If you are looking for more power, then I would go with an aftermarket aluminum manifold.

Daily driver, strictly. The main reason I want to convert to a 4 barrel setup is the simple fact that a dearth of NEW 2 barrel carbs blights what one can do there. I've considered getting a Holley 2300 of one sort or another for my existing setup, but frankly, I'm not a great fan of their stuff. I've got 6 or 7 2 barrel carbs around in various states of repair, and likely will pop a BBD on for the next Emissions test soon if the old Stromberg WWC flunks out. Its been good the past few yrs, but I'm seeing telltale varnish buildup on the right underside front again, (THANX FOR **** CORN LOBBY!!) and want something better this time....

Last edited:
BIG thanks! I will, one way or another. Edelbrock makes a square bore adapter plate for older intakes I believe, just as they do one for the spreadbore stuff that came w the TQ.
I thought I would mention it. I'm not to up on big block intakes but my stock small block intake took some machining for the secondaries to open.

With a 1 inch phelonic spacer,don't have to worry about that. crisper throttle response and cooler air/fuel mixture.
Cheers

Right on! I saw that as 1 option, an aluminum spacer and a more elaborate Al adapter for square bore to square bore stuff. The Brock provides plenty for its customers!

Hmm, keeping that carb COOL is a BIG consideration. I like the notion, and might just follow your lead on this one. Thx bro!

Last edited:
I thought I would mention it. I'm not to up on big block intakes but my stock small block intake took some machining for the secondaries to open.

Oddly enough, the issue of boring out a 2 barrel manifold might arise if one uses a 500 cfm Holley 2300. I've long considered that route, but HEY, I got this Brock nearly brand new for freebeez so I'll roll w it. I might have my Carb Wizard check it over before I commit to the task of changing out that manifold. I DEFINITELY will give it a date at the machine shop, just for cleanup. I had been mulling over a 500 cfm version from their newer AVS2/ 19xx line before scoring, and already had bought the intake. I even considered a Holley Economizer, but again, I'm not a big Holley fan, tho I've used a few of them....

As I exhort the mechanic to get that Edelbrock 1405 plumbed in RIGHT, I ask The Wise here: is it worth investing in an after market throttle cable bracket or not? We have the recommended throttle adapter, stud and kickdown adapter from Edelbrock, so I'm curious if its worthwhile to get some after market bracket, or to just go with the instal manual and bend the throttle cable a little to fish it into position with the adapter on the carb?

Back