1968 300 440 TNT Newby Questions

Scott 440 TNT

Reaction score
I saw this car on CL for $2,500 and decided I should take a look.
A small dealer took it on trade so I know nothing about it's history.
When I looked it over it looked super complete and untouched.
It is missing the gas tank and it did have a repaint at some time.
The engine isn't seized and in the trunk I found the air cleaner and the 440 TNT top, Surprise !
I thought my first mopar would be either a 70 GTX or any 2nd or 3rd gen Barracuda.
Well I just had to take a chance and took it home.
Now that I have it in my garage and have done some very crude research I have more questions than answers, this is where I start beggin :)
How many TNT's were produced.
First I want to try to start it, which cable is positive, going to starter or little box.
I don't see a ground.
Some of the data plate option codes are hard to find, any easy place to find them listed.
Where can I get a gas tank and how many vents should it have.
What about convertible top and upholstery, seats, carpet, door panels.
Where would I look to see if the following are numbers matching to the car, engine, trans, diff.
One last question for NOW, what does this little knob do.
Thanks for reading this far.

Data  Plate.jpg

Knob.jpg

Under Hood.jpg

Knob looks like an aftermarket piece but in the correct location for the rear speaker balance roller style knob.

how do you decode a 68 tag to see if its a TNT or not ? i havent learned pre 70 vins/tags except 64 imps.......
nice it has air, a TNT with air in a convert is rare

First I want to try to start it, which cable is positive, going to starter or little box.
I don't see a ground.

1 to 1 should be attached this is Battery positive.

#2 is most likely your ground and should go to a intake manifold bolt. If the cable is red in color it should be change to the correct black color cable designating the Negative so that no mix up of proper connection to the battery or when jump starting the car.

1968 300 440 TNT.Engine.Bay.CABLES.jpg

Bottom line on your fender tag CM27 which is a Chrysler 300 convertible, After that I believe the 83 denotes it as a TNT as mine is 81 and I have the base 350 HP 440. CO8 is your “build date”, which is December 8, 1967. Under PNT is your paint color , PP1 is scorch red. Under TRM, this is your trim, interior color M6W is which is White/black bucket seats. Your fender tag has lots of codes on it, a very nicely optioned car.

The knob actually matches the volume and tuner controls on my Multiplex AM/FM radio with 5 speakers. This was optional, so the thumb wheels would only be found on the standard setup

The fader knob is original. It replaced the earlier thumb wheel at least on the AM/FM and the AM/8 track. I would wager this is a later '68 with the black tail panel.

The later AM/FM had the round knobs vs the thumb rollers. I think they switched over mid year in '67.

The reverberator is a separate thumb toggle switch that turns on an additional unit separate from the radio and the switch matches the map and power antenna switch in my '68.

Also it looks to be a TNT beyond the air cleaner, as it has magnum exhaust manifolds. The 5th digit should be an L in the VIN. CM27L8...

Last edited:
I saw this car on CL for $2,500 and decided I should take a look.
A small dealer took it on trade so I know nothing about it's history.
When I looked it over it looked super complete and untouched.
It is missing the gas tank and it did have a repaint at some time.
The engine isn't seized and in the trunk I found the air cleaner and the 440 TNT top, Surprise !
I thought my first mopar would be either a 70 GTX or any 2nd or 3rd gen Barracuda.
Well I just had to take a chance and took it home.
Now that I have it in my garage and have done some very crude research I have more questions than answers, this is where I start beggin :)
How many TNT's were produced.
I don't see a ground.
Some of the data plate option codes are hard to find, any easy place to find them listed.
Where can I get a gas tank and how many vents should it have.
What about convertible top and upholstery, seats, carpet, door panels.
Where would I look to see if the following are numbers matching to the car, engine, trans, diff.
One last question for NOW, what does this little knob do.
Thanks for reading this far.

View attachment 402203

View attachment 402204

View attachment 402207
1. First thing I would do is verify Engine. Run you Vin # thru a decoder such as " 440 Magnum Network " or other site. The 5th digit of the vin is engine. K is 440 4V , L is 440 HP / 375 , M is Special V8.

2. Run you Data Tag on Fender thru a Fender Tag Decoder. You can try MyMopar.com , Yearone www.drivinithome.com , or other site.

3.Red Cable is almost always Positive/+ . Picture shows it running to Starter Solenoid Relay on Fender. The ground wire is Black....Negative/- and normally runs to the engine block. My car is grounded on my AC compressor.

4. I found my best source for a gas tank and sending unit was RockAuto.

5. Carpet and sound deadner I found at Rockauto also . It is AAC brand , one of the best and 20% or more cheaper. . On the other interior parts I have no experience.

Good luck on getting it running. My car had been sitting for 11 years and 2 months later just got it running. Be happy to help any way I can.

The knob may be for balance and the thumb wheel a fader. I expect this may have the additional speakers on the dash.

Bottom line on your fender tag CM27 which is a Chrysler 300 convertible, After that I believe the 83 denotes it as a TNT as mine is 81 and I have the base 350 HP 440. CO8 is your “build date”, which is December 8, 1967. Under PNT is your paint color , PP1 is scorch red. Under TRM, this is your trim, interior color M6W is which is White/black bucket seats. Your fender tag has lots of codes on it, a very nicely optioned car.

I tend to agree with you on the engine. My car has an #82 engine and its a 440 HP ,375 horse.

The fader knob is original. It replaced the earlier thumb wheel at least on the AM/FM and the AM/8 track. I would wager this is a later '68 with the black tail panel.

The later AM/FM had the round knobs vs the thumb rollers. I think they switched over mid year in '67.

The reverberator is a separate thumb toggle switch that turns on an additional unit separate from the radio and the switch matches the map and power antenna switch in my '68.

Also it looks to be a TNT beyond the air cleaner, as it has magnum exhaust manifolds. The 5th digit should be an L in the VIN. CM27L8...

The rear panel looks to be silver, but it could have been changed when repainted.
Yes the Vin starts with CM27L8.
I added a pic of the Vin and casting number for the exhaust manifold drivers side.

Vin.jpg

Exhaust Manifold Dr.jpg

Back