1968 monaco fender tag

dieseldust

Reaction score
_20200823_154022.JPG

Can some decode this for me,

Thanks

Super early convertible!

Scheduled 8 days after my Polara 2 dr HT.

I can’t blow my code book up big enough on my phone but the first line is
From bottom to top.
DH- Monaco
27- Convertible
41- 318 engine
5- Automatic transmission
63- 8.55x14 tires white side wall (heavy duty tires)
823- scheduled date August,23 1967
And shipping order number A00684
Line 2 from bottom
8 under 7 is Wheel lip mouldings
1 under Ax is 2.76:1 (8-3/4) std axle (Non sure grip)
TRM - H5B Bench with front center armrest blue.
PNT -EE1 Dark blue metallic.
Line 3
1 under R is Radio AM musicmaster
2 under Y is top color white
Top line
I am not sure what 6 under the W is.
I am sure others can chime in on the last code
Edited above to fill in the blanks

Last edited:
Thank you,

The car now has a 440 magnum in it, I was not sure it was original or not.

A00684 is super unusual sequence number, normally start with 1000000, just my $.02

EE is supposed to be Dark Blue metallic. Unless yours has been repainted or the lighting is not right the tag color looks to be closer to the Medium blue metallic .
Original Interior H5B. 2 unde Y is white convertible top. Very sharp looking car I would think
upload_2020-8-23_19-23-37.png

I added in most of the blanks above editing my original post.
It is nice to keep things original, but you will have plenty of power at your hands with the 440, if they did a good transplant.

I agree above that A code is unusual.
Mine being scheduled 6 days prior has a shipping order number of 113621. Mine came out of Belvedere plant. Yours may be a different plant as mine had rivets for the fender tag whereas the one you have shown uses screws. Plants seemed to do this differently.
Assembly plant is the 7th Character on the Vin.
Yours should start DH27F8(plant code) ( Sequence number) sorry I originally had DL
upload_2020-8-23_19-48-32.png

Last edited:
Please post pictures of the complete car when you are comfortable to do so.
Thanks

DH2741563821 vin number

That is the bottom number of your fender tag which is different from your VIN which should be on your dash behind the windshield.

From your Vin it will start the same as your fender tag for the first 4 characters (DL27) 5th digit should be a letter denoting the displacement (based on your fender tag an F) 6th digit should be an 8 ( for 68) 7th should be a D, F, or R, (Factory -Belvidere, Newark, or Windsor) then 8th through 13th would be your sequence number. Which should be pretty low based on your build date.
Thanks

A00684 is super unusual sequence number, normally start with 1000000, just my $.02

for 1968, that is the Sales Order Number, not the VIN number like on 69 and later tags.

For 1968, the A indicates built for sale in Canada. This is reinforced by the w/6 code.

Weren't all C body convertibles built in St. Louis in 1968? Seems to me I have heard that somewhere. If that is the case, and just like my 68 Sport Fury, the VIN should include a G for assembly plant.

Weren't all C body convertibles built in St. Louis in 1968? Seems to me I have heard that somewhere. If that is the case, and just like my 68 Sport Fury, the VIN should include a G for assembly plant.

B body convertibles were built at St. Louis. C Body Dodge and Plymouth convertibles were built at the Belvidere plant. Some cars, like the DP27 Canada only cars, were built at Windsor.

Last edited:
Back