For Sale 1970 Chrysler 300 Hurst Rotesserie Restored

Status
Not open for further replies.
Two C bodies selling for that kind of money that are not perfect is encouraging. Maybe will effect the C market enough that it makes it harder for guys looking for a donor driveline and the Derby guys.

Except this one didn't sell.

Dave

Well guys it didn't sell. He's looking to get just a little north of 40. Considering what a rot bucket is worth. Reconditioning every system isn't cheap. Say you get one for 10 grand. It's gonna take every bit of 30 to disassemble, blast, any metal work, primer, block out, and show paint. That's 40 grand right there. You still didn't touch the drivetrain, rear end, glass, seats, carpet, bumpers to rechrome, pinstripe, wheel reconditioning and tires, not to mention a fender tag, 2 buildsheets, original sales receipt, Chrysler letters. You also didn't reassemble the car. In my opinion this is a 50 to 60 thousand dollar car all day long. I know it's a c body, and not a cuda or roadrunner. For gods sake it's a lot more rare, everyone cracks me up thinking they r gonna buy a rot bucket, try to fix it themselves over a 10 year period and have 50 grand into it by the time they finish. Not to mention the time they wasted that they could've been driving it and enjoying. I told him I would buy it if I didn't have one already.

I'm not sure a " rot bucket" is worth all that much. Who's paying for a rot bucket and how much? It is a beautiful car but every C body guy knows it's not about the money.

Looks like a fine keeper then!

I'm not sure a " rot bucket" is worth all that much. Who's paying for a rot bucket and how much? It is a beautiful car but every C body guy knows it's not about the money.

Ok maybe a rot bucket was a poor choice of words. There are 2 on eBay right now, 8400 and 5600 and both will need extensive metal work, complete interiors and drivetrain disassembled and reassembled. Not to mention a million other things that aren't re popped.

Well guys it didn't sell. He's looking to get just a little north of 40. Considering what a rot bucket is worth. Reconditioning every system isn't cheap. Say you get one for 10 grand. It's gonna take every bit of 30 to disassemble, blast, any metal work, primer, block out, and show paint. That's 40 grand right there. You still didn't touch the drivetrain, rear end, glass, seats, carpet, bumpers to rechrome, pinstripe, wheel reconditioning and tires, not to mention a fender tag, 2 buildsheets, original sales receipt, Chrysler letters. You also didn't reassemble the car. In my opinion this is a 50 to 60 thousand dollar car all day long. I know it's a c body, and not a cuda or roadrunner. For gods sake it's a lot more rare, everyone cracks me up thinking they r gonna buy a rot bucket, try to fix it themselves over a 10 year period and have 50 grand into it by the time they finish. Not to mention the time they wasted that they could've been driving it and enjoying. I told him I would buy it if I didn't have one already.

You could pretty much say that about every car, there is no arguing the fact that most of the time it is way better financially to buy an original or restored car over trying to do a resto. Ultimately the market place will determine how much a car is worth. Basically you have to keep putting it up for sale until you find someone who agrees with your valuation.

A great example of this is the Sport Furys in the Northwest....one sold but the others have been for sale for how many years now? They are worth more to him to keep....can't blame him for that.

Dave

Very true Dave. I bought my Hurst for 4500. The amount I have in mine now is around 12,000 and it sure doesn't look like it lol. Of those two on eBay, the one with the console is worth a little more but neither car is worth what they are asking IMO. It is just too hard to find a lot of the parts and the cost is way out of league for what you get on return after restoring it. In my case I don't look at selling mine and get pleasure out of hunting up hard to find parts. I do a lot of the work myself which also cuts down on cost. Buying one finished would get me in the drivers seat faster and probably cheaper but then I don't have the pride of the work I put into the rebuild.

My brother in laws hurst is still for sale. 38500 or best offer, pm me for his phone number

My brother in laws hurst is still for sale. 38500 or best offer, pm me for his phone number
Sorry but that is a lot of money for this car. I have seen the ad and its a very nice car but you just don't see them getting that kind of money

Still for sale. Pics don’t do this hurst justice. It’s stunning

It will be interesting to see what the Hurst at Mecum in January will bring. Their estimate is 50-70,000$ at auction in Kissimmee.

Having owned a Hurst in the past and still having another unrestored one, I think one of the problems with the model is that it really doesn't deliver anything in the driving experience that a regular U code 300 did in 1970. At least with a Sport Fury GT in 1970, you could get a 440 and even a 6 bbl engine that was unique to the model, even if the increased performance was only marginal. So my feeling behind the wheel of the Hurst is "here I have this somewhat gaudy appearing car with performance appearance enhancements such as the wing in the rear, the domed hood, hood pins and so on, installed on a really big car that fools no one in terms it of it really being a special performance vehicle". It was still very heavy, somewhat ponderous in terms of handling and not really faster than a regular one. I always felt the regular 300s looks more like a sporty big car with an elegant flair more fitting for such a big car. But when you add all the extra drama, it really doesn't deliver anything special. So, in sum, to me it was only a special marketing appearance package that detracted from the appearance of the car and was really only a fake poseur. Frankly, I sold mine because it bored me because it didn't deliver anything really special and personally, I didn't feel it enhanced the overall look of the regular 300 in 1970. That is why I concluded there is so much turnover of these cars in the market place, causing many to wonder if they really only built around 500 of them. Kind of like a fake boob job - no one is fooled. Now this is just my opinion, and I am very well aware others may differ strongly, so take if only for what it is - only my opinion based on actually owning a pretty nice one and driving it.

And I really love my regular 1970 300 by comparison and will never tire of it. It delivers perfectly on what it was intended to be and looks better to me than any other vehicle on the planet (along with the 1971 models).

70 300 #1 (5) - Copy.jpg

Having owned a Hurst in the past and still having another unrestored one, I think one of the problems with the model is that it really doesn't deliver anything in the driving experience that a regular U code 300 did [not deliver] in 1970.
... I always felt the regular 300 looks more like a sporty big car with an elegant flair...
...And I really love my regular 1970 300 by comparison and will never tire of it. It delivers perfectly on what it was intended to be and looks better to me than any other vehicle on the planet.
768B3C45-8529-4A2A-99E3-9562F7DB13D2.jpeg

You put it nicely. Elegance is what this car is all about. The Hurst looks indeed somewhat gaudy when compared to a nice regular ’70 Three Hundred. And yours looks really stunning. Nice colour combo. Good photo, too. Perfect background, and near perfect light: look at how it falls on the hood. Beautiful. - I intend to have my ’70 New Yorker look that nice, too.

Having owned a Hurst in the past and still having another unrestored one, I think one of the problems with the model is that it really doesn't deliver anything in the driving experience that a regular U code 300 did in 1970. At least with a Sport Fury GT in 1970, you could get a 440 and even a 6 bbl engine that was unique to the model, even if the increased performance was only marginal. So my feeling behind the wheel of the Hurst is "here I have this somewhat gaudy appearing car with performance appearance enhancements such as the wing in the rear, the domed hood, hood pins and so on, installed on a really big car that fools no one in terms it of it really being a special performance vehicle". It was still very heavy, somewhat ponderous in terms of handling and not really faster than a regular one. I always felt the regular 300s looks more like a sporty big car with an elegant flair more fitting for such a big car. But when you add all the extra drama, it really doesn't deliver anything special. So, in sum, to me it was only a special marketing appearance package that detracted from the appearance of the car and was really only a fake poseur. Frankly, I sold mine because it bored me because it didn't deliver anything really special and personally, I didn't feel it enhanced the overall look of the regular 300 in 1970. That is why I concluded there is so much turnover of these cars in the market place, causing many to wonder if they really only built around 500 of them. Kind of like a fake boob job - no one is fooled. Now this is just my opinion, and I am very well aware others may differ strongly, so take if only for what it is - only my opinion based on actually owning a pretty nice one and driving it.

And I really love my regular 1970 300 by comparison and will never tire of it. It delivers perfectly on what it was intended to be and looks better to me than any other vehicle on the planet (along with the 1971 models).

View attachment 157154
Steve I respect you but someone’s for sale thread is not really the place for this sort of commentary.

Steve I respect you but someone’s for sale thread is not really the place for this sort of commentary.
I will respectfully disagree. If you put your car up for sale here you should expect commentary both positive and critical. At no point was Steve's commentary a personal attack or otherwise disrespectful. One of the nice things for prospective buyers is they can assess cars with all the pros and cons. My .02.

I will respectfully disagree. If you put your car up for sale here you should expect commentary both positive and critical. At no point was Steve's commentary a personal attack or otherwise disrespectful. One of the nice things for prospective buyers is they can assess cars with all the pros and cons. My .02.
There’s plenty of opportunities to post this sort of editorial in other forums.

I understand your point Matt, but I have always lived my life by saying what I believe respectfully and defending it if challenged. In return, I find no ill will towards others with differing opinions, and when I sell one of my cars, I have no qualms about the price I put on it going in or what is said about it. It is what it is, and I accept all points of view as useful input both for me and a prospective buyer. There is a bit of a frenzy going on with the prices of these cars at present, and having been through the buying, owning and selling of one of my Hursts in the past, I just wanted to put my 02 cents in. I believe all buyers should be informed buyers based on the merits, and assume we are all big boys on this site by now. I don't want more for my cars than they are worth, and if I make a mistake in the sale of one of my cars, I will refund money if I missed something or somehow it was mischaracterized.

Said another way, this car is not highly optioned having an AM radio and add on air, and despite what appears to be a top notch restoration, those factors are important in selling a Hurst at top dollar right now. It seems there has been a confluence of restored Hursts hitting the market right now driving the prices higher than I have ever seen them before, creating what I believe to be an overheated market currently that is due for an adjustment. The collector hobby for these old cars isn't growing much lately and the demographic for these cars isn't growing, it is declining. I was politely trying to say, if he could have gotten 40K in the past for the car, he should have taken it.

I look at the auto industry today, and I have never in my life seen such turmoil taking place in management. With self driving cars, EVs and many Ubers in play, the future of the automobile has never been so cloudy, and the decisions that management in the industry have to make today are mind boggling. Huge change is underway, and rapidly, none of which portends well for our old gasoline, owner driven vehicles.

Having well informed sellers and buyers is best for everyone, I believe.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back